Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

breastfeeding help needed

My baby is 1 week and since she was born, she has nursed non stop. She is not fussy and inconsolable. She cries when being changed and when she's hungry. He r diaper output has always been good 6 poos and 4 pees. 
I am physically, mentaly exhausted. We have started to give her formula in the night and sometimes during the day, just so I can rest. after 2-3 oz formula she falls asleep, she falls asleep easily and will sleep for 3 hours. 
I want to keep breastfeeding, but I am just afraid she is not getting enough from me. 

Does anybody combine breastfeeding with formula? She is only one week old. 

thank youu

Re: breastfeeding help needed

• Options
    I'm an exclusive ff but there is a thread on this on the formula feeding board that I think would help you out. I'm sending you big hugs across the Internet.
  • Options
    Reach out to your local La Leche chapter, I found one near me on Facebook. Kelly Mom also had great insight and advice on BF.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Are you pumping whenever she gets a bottle of formula?  Unfortunately if you're not pumping to replace her feedings, you could be hurting your supply.  In the early weeks, your body is trying to figure out how much milk to make, and the only way it knows how to do that is to base it on how much your baby is taking out.  Any time you give a bottle of formula or breastmilk, you should be pumping.

It sucks but it will get better as baby's belly gets bigger and can hold more.  LO was basically attached to my boob for the first 3 weeks.  But after that, my nipples stopped hurting, and she was able to go a bit longer between meals.  You just need to get through it.  At night i would nurse her in the recliner in her nursery, with her pinned up against me using a boppy pillow so that she wouldn't fall...and then i'd sleep while she ate.  not ideal, but the first few weeks are about survival.

• Options
    Like PP said, pump when you supplement formula so your body knows it still needs to make more milk. That will also give you an idea on how much milk you are producing during a feeding, so you can be sure you're making enough to get her full.

I definitely supplemented formula with DS, even when he was a newborn. While I made plenty of milk, I exclusively pumped, So I thought it was much easier to bring along formula during outtings rather than stored milk. But I always kept up my pumping schedule to ensure my supply never took a hit.