Trying to Get Pregnant

If you're trying to decide when to test... (possible TW, BFP mentioned)

I've seen a few people ask when is the best time to test.
I've also seen comments from people saying, "if the test is negative, you are not pregnant." (This comment drives me bonkers... most women get at least one false negative at some point in their lives, especially if they are early testers!)

I think this page (below) is super useful. They did an analysis of a bunch of women who ended up being pregnant and broke down what percentage of them got a positive at each DPO. For example, of all of the pregnant women who tested on 10 DPO, 67% of them got a BFP and the other 33% got a FALSE BFN. I'm a statistics junkie and enjoy resources like this. It helps me remain patient knowing my statistical chances of getting a false negative each day.

Me: 25  DH: 28

Hubby's little boy - my wonderful step-son - born 5/23/10
BFP#1: 06/2010...my beautiful baby girl born 3/7/2011
BFP #2: 10/24/15...mc on 10/31/15
BFP #3: 11/27/15. EDD 8/6/16

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." -Winston Churchill

Re: If you're trying to decide when to test... (possible TW, BFP mentioned)

• Thank you for this!
  • Loading the player...
  • When they had the negative test, they were not pregnant.
    Unless it was a negative blood test (not urine), that's not true. Implantation happens, and HCG builds up in your blood for a few days before there's enough built up to be processed by the kidneys and excreted through urine. It doesn't just go straight from the womb to your bladder.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." -Winston Churchill

• As I said yesterday:

I've seen you post in several places that you can have symptoms and have a negative test. I don't think you're understanding what people here mean when they say if you have symptoms, you can turn a test. The point is, you can have those "symptoms" any time. They can't be considered "pregnancy symptoms" until you get a positive test. Yes, you can have "symptoms", get a BFN, and then eventually get a BFP, but if your HCG is so low that you can't turn a test, then they are just "symptoms" of high progesterone or maybe something you ate. They are NOT pregnancy symptoms.

This post in particular isn't about symptoms and whether or not they're pregnancy-related. This post was about when to test, and what percentage of people get false negatives at various days past ovulation.

But to address your comment, HCG builds up in your system beginning the day that implantation completes (as I'm sure you're well aware). The HCG starts accumulating in your blood, and is eventually filtered out by your kidneys and excreted through your urine. Your blood HCG level could be at 25 (as an example) while your urine HCG is still at 10, or lower, because it takes time to build up enough in your urine to be excreted in any measurable amount. Home pregnancy tests look at the level in your urine, which is elevated 2-3 days AFTER your blood level is elevated into the "testing positive" zone.  It is the HCG in your blood that causes nausea, not the HCG in your urine...if that makes sense.

Now, I've been pregnant twice in my life. Other than those two pregnancies, I've probably had nearly 150 normal, non-pregnant cycles. I've never had consistent nausea before my period was due, except for the two times that I ended up being pregnant (the first of which was a "surprise/unplanned" pregnancy while I was on BC so I wasn't symptom spotting..I just took a test as soon as I realized I had been nauseous non-stop for a day or two). I had false negative tests for several days with both pregnancies. I'm aware that I'm only one person, and I'm also aware that there are 1,000 other things that cause nausea. The point I'm trying to make is that it's poor judgement to tell people that a negative test = absolutely not pregnant. If you're getting a negative test at 10 DPO, it's probably still not a good idea to binge drink if you think you could be pregnant (not saying anyone here would, but if implantation has already happened then you ARE technically pregnant). If you're having nausea or any other possible symptom of pregnancy and your pee-stick came up negative, you COULD still be pregnant and experiencing symptoms because the HCG in your blood is elevated enough for you to notice. 
    False negatives are super rare.  If your pregnancy test is negative then more than likely you are not pregnant. It doesn't mean you don't have HCG in your body, it just means that the level of HCG is not high enough to be a pregnancy. 
    Me: 31 | H: 32
    Married September 2014
    TTC #1 December 2014
    RE appt 12/2015
    CD3 labs normal | HSG 1/8/16 clear | H's SA excellent
    Dx: Unexplained Infertility
    February 2016, cycle 16 - cycle #1 with Letrozole 5mg + TI | Progesterone=20.6
    BFP 2/24/16 - EDD 11/7/16
    It's a girl!
    Isla Quinn born 10/29/16 at 38w5d via C/S
    --------
    TFAS March 2018
    RE consultation 8/2/18
    Suprise! BFP 8/8/18 natural cycle | EDD 4/19/19
    It's a girl!
    Afton Noelle born 4/10/19 at 38w5d via natural VBAC
  • nlwz123 said:
    When they had the negative test, they were not pregnant.
    This.  You can have lots of negative tests until you implant.  You aren't pregnant before that, therefore do not show a positive pregnancy test.  Honestly, don't try complicating this.
    It still takes several days after implantation to build up in your blood enough to be excreted through urine.

How is it that so many people think that the day you implant, the HCG just magically appears in your bladder? It has to build up in your blood stream, be processed by your kidneys, and built up enough in your bladder to be excreted when you pee. They recommend FMU because of this fact... because your body is constantly processing your blood and pulling out the toxins and it builds up over time.

• ZoMania57 said:
    I don't think you understand what a false negative test actually is. The definition of a false negative is a test result which incorrectly indicates that a particular condition is absent. In the case of pregnancy tests that condition is a level of HCG > 25 mlU/ml (using Wondfos as an example). So if you test at 9 DPO and get a negative test result it is because a level of 25 mlU/ml is not present, that is a negative test NOT a false negative. Yes, you may still turn a test positive in the coming days after your levels rise if you are in fact pregnant but that doesn't mean that first test was false. Understand? 

The reason people on TB say "if the test is negative you are not pregnant at this time" is because it's true. PMS and early pregnancy symptoms are very similar so if you think your symptoms are from pregnancy (or HCG) you should turn a test positive. 

Also, from someone that is a statistics junkie you don't really understand confirmation bias either based on a lot of your postings here. Just because you got a headache (or whatever) before all your BFPs, and equating that with headaches = pregnancy, disregards all of your past headaches with no BFPs. 

Sorry, that's just my two cents. I'm not really an everything's rainbows and kittens person so I couldn't let this post slide. I feel like sometimes its dishing out false hope instead of reality :/

I understand how urine pregnancy tests work; I guess I should've been more clear on what a "false negative" is, according to this study. A "false negative" is when a home pregnancy test tells you that you are Not Pregnant (whether that's by only giving you one line, or the digital tests actually saying "Not Pregnant"). As I've mentioned in previous comments, HCG builds up in your blood first and, over several days, builds up enough to be processed by your kidneys and excreted through your urine. 
    If everyone had access to blood HCG tests, pregnant people would receive a positive blood HCG test 2-3 days before they would receive a positive urine test. 

• If someone tests negative and subsequently tests positive, the negative test wasn't a false negative. It was negative because it didn't pick up enough HCG to turn the test. Until such time as a test can detect the instant the sperm meets the egg, that's the way it is. 
    DS 12.02.11

Pregnancy Ticker
  • ZoMania57 said:
    I don't think you understand what a false negative test actually is. The definition of a false negative is a test result which incorrectly indicates that a particular condition is absent. In the case of pregnancy tests that condition is a level of HCG > 25 mlU/ml (using Wondfos as an example). So if you test at 9 DPO and get a negative test result it is because a level of 25 mlU/ml is not present, that is a negative test NOT a false negative. Yes, you may still turn a test positive in the coming days after your levels rise if you are in fact pregnant but that doesn't mean that first test was false. Understand? 

The reason people on TB say "if the test is negative you are not pregnant at this time" is because it's true. PMS and early pregnancy symptoms are very similar so if you think your symptoms are from pregnancy (or HCG) you should turn a test positive. 

Also, from someone that is a statistics junkie you don't really understand confirmation bias either based on a lot of your postings here. Just because you got a headache (or whatever) before all your BFPs, and equating that with headaches = pregnancy, disregards all of your past headaches with no BFPs. 

Sorry, that's just my two cents. I'm not really an everything's rainbows and kittens person so I couldn't let this post slide. I feel like sometimes its dishing out false hope instead of reality :/

I understand how urine pregnancy tests work; I guess I should've been more clear on what a "false negative" is, according to this study. A "false negative" is when a home pregnancy test tells you that you are Not Pregnant (whether that's by only giving you one line, or the digital tests actually saying "Not Pregnant"). As I've mentioned in previous comments, HCG builds up in your blood first and, over several days, builds up enough to be processed by your kidneys and excreted through your urine. 
    If everyone had access to blood HCG tests, pregnant people would receive a positive blood HCG test 2-3 days before they would receive a positive urine test. 

Me: 28 DH: 29
    Married: August 2014
    TTC #1 Since March 2015
    Diagnosed with PCOS March 2016
    SA results normal April 2016
    3 rounds clomid + trigger + TI = BFN
    3 rounds clomid + trigger + IUI = BFN
    Uterine polyp removed July 2017
    Round 1 IVF January 2018

• IMO, you are encouraging symptom spotting. No one has ever said that a negative test means that it is impossible that you will get a positive shortly - but if the test is negative, you are not considered pregnant at that time. Well, unless you live in Arizona. In which case we are all pregnant 2 weeks out of every month. 

Hahaha! I live in AZ! So true!
  • chrlyr said:
    If someone tests negative and subsequently tests positive, the negative test wasn't a false negative. It was negative because it didn't pick up enough HCG to turn the test. Until such time as a test can detect the instant the sperm meets the egg, that's the way it is. 
    So, let me just clarify what I've always thought, and maybe you guys can tell me if I'm wrong. Because according to all of the reading I've done, this is my understanding. Here's an example:
    9 DPO - Implantation Occurs & HCG begins to build up
    10 DPO - Urine pregnancy test would be negative. Blood test MIGHT be positive.
    11 DPO - Urinte pregnancy test would be negative. Blood test would likely be positive.
    12 DPO - Urine test MIGHT be positive. Blood test DEFINITELY would be positive.
    13 DPO - Urine test likely positive. Blood test definitely positive.

...That's just a rough example. But in my mind, in this example, pregnancy "officially" happened on 9 DPO. Am I wrong?

• I'm not encouraging symptom spotting by any means because when I do it to myself it drives me crazy and hurts in the long run. But some people (probably very rare) do feel symptoms before a positive test. For my pregnancy that ended in a loss, I had symptoms well before the positive test. However, I have been diagnosed with hypersensitivity by several doctors. That means I'm hyper aware of every little change in my body that most people never feel. The second HCG entered my blood stream I could feel it. I started having fainting spells and intense periods of dizziness. As soon as my levels fell back to normal, that went away. Therefore I agree that some people feel symptoms before a positive test. However, every one is different and pregnancy symptoms feel a lot like PMS. So I wouldn't assume I was pregnant or act like I was until I got a positive test. Last time I just assumed I was coming down with something and went on with my life until I got the positive.
  • GUISE. If you have symptoms at 9 or 10 dpo but your test is negative, you're still probably pregnant, okay?  
    While I appreciate the sarcasm - truly I do - that's not the point I'm trying to make. I never said that you're "probably" anything. Oy vay.

• jhems776 said:
    I don't like the site's stats.  The numbers are calculated by "All results are based on pregnancy test results submitted by our members."  Which means that it isn't scientific, just user reported.  I would hazard a guess that a fair amount of people are wrong about their O date.  
    Yeah, but isn't that what all of our O dates are? Just an estimate? Nobody can know with 100% certainty. I dunno, I thought it was interesting information, even if it is self-reported.

• KDHB13 said:
    But really, @1faceinacrowd, what was your point in posting this? What do you think we should be saying to people who ask if we think they're pregnant or not?
    If someone comes on this page and asks if they're pregnant or not, tell them to F off. ;) Or to take a test, which is what MOST people say.

I'm absolutely not saying that people breaking the rules are cool and should ask if they're pregnant (those people annoy me just as much as anyone else). But seeing that comment so many times made me wonder if people understand that home pregnancy tests pick up HCG several days after implantation, so you're actually pregnant for several days before a BFP (unless it's a blood test BFP, which can be positive 24 hours post-implantation).

• I personally found the original post to be helpful. I asked in the TWW thread - when is the best time to test? I had noticed a lot of people were testing around 10 DPO. So as a relative newbie, it seemed as if that was the “norm” around here. I was planning on waiting until my period was expected to arrive (this is my first cycle temping/charting, so I don’t know my actual LP length, expected period date was calculated using a general period tracker), which would be about 15dpo. Anyway, I wasn’t sure – should I be testing at 10ish DPO like nearly everyone else? The chart shared was helpful in letting me know what I should expect when testing earlier rather than later – mainly the chance of actually turning a positive pregnancy test so early. I’m assuming that was the OP’s original goal.

Also after reviewing the original chart shared, I realized I'd much rather stick with my original plan of testing later rather than sooner (unless, of course, I plan to rave or something). I'd rather not go through the crazy of "it just didn't turn YET" kind of thinking, which I feel like I see around here quite frequently.