Infertility
Options

So devastated.. got SA results

his morphology is only 3 %.. I had a miscarriage last year. and we have been trying since may with no luck. we are both 39.. I feel wrong being so upset since I am so lucky to have a ten year old with someone else.. But I wanted to share this with my second husband. I am seeing an RE on Saturday and so anxious to hear what are options are if any. Everything has been fine with me but I have not had the HSG yet.  I don't think I can go through IVF and from what I read IUI doesn't always work well with morphology issues. doesn't help we have no insurance coverage for any of it either. So depressing.

This was his results

sample concentration- 48.50-- is that 48 million that means??

72% forward progressive motility

3.1 volume

34.92 motile sperm

108.25 total motile cells

anyone decipher any of that?  I see the RE this Saturday thankfully.

Re: So devastated.. got SA results

• Options
    Hi @hopeful99 - my hubby has a 1% normal sperm morphology (compared to your DH 3%)... I have never gotten pregnant in my life, and docs believe our only shot is through IVF with ICSI. We've done two unsuccessful rounds. 

Generally with a low morphology number they want to look at other factors to see the big picture. The sample concentration means how much sperm there is in a sample. I'm guessing 48.5 million probably, yes. The more sperm he has, the more potentially "normal" sperm available for conception.

Volume is probably just what he produced in a given sample. Motile sperm is how many were alive and moving, regardless of shape etc. but not sure what the motile cells means sorry. 

Having no insurance is a big big bummer. We took a big break after our second failed IVF in order to save up emotionally and financially for our next go in 2016. Personally, I feel that as tough as IVF is, its peanuts in compared to potentially having a family of my own one day. That being said, its a personal issue and I totally respect if you feel its not right for you morally or otherwise. 

I hope you find additional answers and support this coming weekend. Big hugs to you!
    ---
    Started TTC April 2011
    Me: 32, DH: 32
    Diagnosis: Endometriosis

• 2012 - 3 Rounds clomid - all BFN
    • 2013 - 1 Fresh IVF with 2 day 3 embryos - BFN
    • 2014 - 1 Frozen IVF with 2 day 5 embryos - BFN
    • Took a long break, continuing trying naturally
    • Feb 2016 - Biopsy = Endo, DH sperm improved from 1% to 6% morphology
    • March 2016 - Fresh IVF cycle with acupuncture & intralipids: 20 eggs retrieved (17 mature), 7 ICSI'd fertilized, 9 naturally fertilized. 16 total embryos!
    • April 8th - 2 embryos (1ICSI and 1 Natural) transferred. (7 blastocysts frozen), April 18th - Beta = BFN
    • Sept 23rd - Lupron Depot Injection for Endo control
    • Nov 15th 2016 - Started daily Lupron Injections for upcoming FET
    • Nov 22 - Baseline US/BW - Intralipid Infusion - Start Meds for FET with immune protocol
    • Dec 16th FET transfer of 3 embryos (1 - AA, 2 - BB)
    • TW below
    • Dec 22nd - first ever bfp (very faint lines FRER & cheapie)
    • Dec 27th Beta = 192, Dec 29th Beta = 379
    • EDD - Sept 5th 2017

- - -
    I'm a YouTube vlogger who talks about Infertility, IVF and Endometriosis. Check it out here!
    Follow along at http://liv4today.blog
    Instagram @liv4todayvlog 

• Options
    @hopefull99, my husband also has >3% morphology.  We tried 3 IUI's, so I wish our doctor would have moved directly to IVF, especially after learning what a long shot the IUI's were.  We just finished a successful fresh IVF transfer with ICSI.  We transferred one high quality egg and have four saved for next time, so keep faith... it can happen!  :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sorry about your SA results.  My DH's SA never even made it to morphology testing because the count was too low.  However, my RE said we had enough motile sperm to do IUI.  If IUI is unsuccessful though IVF is a really good option, and I think it would be for you too.  All they need is 1 healthy sperm cell for each egg they fertilize!  I know financially IVF doesn't always sound like a good option though...
    ***BFP & Child Warning***

Me: 34, DH: 38 ~ TTC since 2014
    IUI #1-3 (Nov 2015, Feb 2016, May 2016) = BFNs
    IVF ER (July 2016) = 7 PGS normal embryos
    FET #1 (Sept 2016) = BFP! DD born 5/30/17
    FET #2 (April 2019) = BFN
    FET #3 (July 2019) = BFP! DS born 3/27/20
  • Options
    HBamama2BHBamama2B member
    edited November 2015
    **bfp mentioned**

@hopeful99 sorry you're in this struggle. My DH has 2% morph. I have PCOS in addition so we did just two unsuccessful IUIs before moving on to one successful IVF round (I am now about 10wks pregnant.) I believe your dr will likely suggest IVF. They may suggest 2-3 IUIs, but I'm not sure given your age. If your paying OOP for everything, I'd recommend just saving for IVF if your willing to do that route (sounds like it might be too much). If you do decide to do IVF, search on this board for links to grants. There's a lot of funding opportunities to offset IVF costs and many women who apply get help. There's also good info on how and wear to get medications for less. Hope this helps! GL!

Oh-also be prepared that they will strongly recommend PGS testing based on your age. That's an additional cost and can run pretty steep ($5,000-6,000). :/