3rd Trimester

Constantly doing ultrasound scan is it safe or unsafe?

vsvsvsvsvsvs member
edited November 2015 in 3rd Trimester
Hi,everyone!i had baby scan when I 12 weeks 20 weeks 25 weeks pregnant,n 28weeks I got breast scan n liver scan too,becos I didn't know I got these much scan coming,so when I 20weeks pregnant I booked 4d scan in my 30 weeks pregnant in private studio which I paid deposit,yesterday I had done 4Runner scan who knows my baby covered his face by his hand,so one lady offered me do another 4scan for free,is anyone have done many times scan during pregnancy?n is it safe?pls I need help!many many thanks xxx

Re: Constantly doing ultrasound scan is it safe or unsafe?

• If your doctor deems the U/S medically necessary-- then you need to ask your doctor about all of this.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • We know that, in moderation, ultrasounds are safe. However, the AMA cautions against unnecessary extra ultrasounds performed for non-medical purposes. As for myself, I will have 3 ultrasounds during my pregnancy, a dating scan at 7 weeks, a scan at 12 weeks to confirm no spina bifida (I have a close family member who had it) and an anatomy scan at 20 weeks. All will be performed at my doctors office for medical purposes.

I personally wouldn't be comfortable with any more than that unless something of concern is found on the 12 or 20 week scans. I'm against private boutiques, they aren't for medical purposes and you never know how well they are trained to use the equipment. Not saying ultrasounds are dangerous, but just remember that xrays of the baby were considered totally safe not too long ago. You never know what may come out in the next few decades, its prudent to limit exposure unless medically necessary.
  • I heard the 4D scans can be dangerous.
  • If your doctor deems the U/S medically necessary-- then you need to ask your doctor about all of this.
    This. No idea why you have had so many but clearly your doctor thought they were necessary. Not trying to be rude but it's super hard to understand your post since it is all one big run on sentence. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • If your doctor is doing the ultrasound, presumably they have weighed the risk of the ultrasound against the reason for doing it and determined that it was worth the risk to check on whatever they were looking at.  You should ask about this, the doctor i'm sure has a good reason.  And you should also be asking in general - i had several "extra" ultrasounds, but the doctor was always very clear about why they were being done.

I wouldn't do an elective ultrasound.  The people doing them are not doctors, and are often not specifically trained medical ultrasound techs.  I also wouldn't want to do one knowing that there are potential risks and my doctor isn't the one weighing those risks for me for that scan.  I also don't know why you needed a 4D ultrasound picture of your baby's face at 30 weeks...i mean in the next 10-12 weeks you will be able to see its actual face, and the ultrasound pics are kind of creepy in my opinion.

This. No idea why you have had so many but clearly your doctor thought they were necessary. Not trying to be rude but it's super hard to understand your post since it is all one big run on sentence. 
    She sounds like a non-English speaker to me. 

OP you should definitely ask your doctor if you're concerned.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • kqualls5kqualls5 member
    edited November 2015
    I had a vaginal ultrasound at 6 weeks to make sure the bleeding I was having wasn't an ectopic pregnancy or miscarriage. Had another at 10 weeks when I first met with my OB. My anatomy scan was at 18 weeks. Then we had another at 22 weeks to see if a choroid plexus cyst was still there. Then when I was in the hospital with the flu and a kidney infection (at 28 weeks) I had 2 ultrasounds done (one was 3D) to make sure baby was okay. So I mean, I don't think doctors would do all these ultrasounds if it was going to hurt baby. With that being said, I wouldn't do "funsie" ultrasounds in a private studio, just because no one is entirely sure how safe they are.
  • I had a very complicated high risk pregnancy my first time around. When all was said and done I had 26 ultrasounds. LO is fine but I agree with others in saying I would only do them if medically necessary.
  • Sounds you've had some ultrasounds that were scheduled before you got pregnant and had to attend them? As far as I know there is no research that suggests ultrasounds are harmful to your baby. I think dopplers might temporarily aggravate baby but again this only applies to when the Doppler being used. But as pp's have said, be careful with the 'fun' ones. I wouldn't worry if I were you though.
  • Mousie93 said:
    Sounds you've had some ultrasounds that were scheduled before you got pregnant and had to attend them? As far as I know there is no research that suggests ultrasounds are harmful to your baby. I think dopplers might temporarily aggravate baby but again this only applies to when the Doppler being used. But as pp's have said, be careful with the 'fun' ones. I wouldn't worry if I were you though.
    There actually is research that it might hurt the baby because ultrasound waves cause heat and could cause cavitation. It's all just theory right now though.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • I get two a week. every week, so i think you're going to survive
  • In reagards to Ultrasounds there is not enough evidence to say that they are not safe, that is why doctors stick to the same guidelines as to Xrays - the least needed amount