1st Trimester
Options

No Epidural Birth Experiences?

This question is for ladies who have given birth without an epidural already? I would love to hear your honest opinion on the experience, thoughts, advice, etc! TIA!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: No Epidural Birth Experiences?

• Options
    I did it once with DD, planned, but also no real options because start to finish my labor was 4 hours long. Invest in a good doula to help you manage pain and if you feel like doing something like hypnobaby or Bradley Method for ways to manage the intense amounts of pain. I tried med-free with my son, but by the time I got to pushing I was exhausted and the constant contractions gave me a panic attack. So I got the epi at 9cm and will probably do the epi again in the future. It was so great to be free of the pain.

So, I did med free and survived, but I probably won't do it again.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options

Here's the simplified birth story from my first:

I had pre-e so at 38.5 weeks, I was induced.  I was started on Cervadil, but after 8 hours of contractions I made zero progress ... so they switched me to Pitocin.  After another 8 hours, I asked for the epidural (I hadn't wanted one, but Pitocin contractions are beyond awful). 

The anesthesiologist had to place the epidural twice because he didn't feel that he had gotten the placement exactly right the first time (my right hip is permanently numb from this).  However, after all of that, the epidural made me throw up.  This was absolutely miserable; we're talking non-stop throwing up.  So I asked them turn the epidural off; within an hour or so it was out of my system.

I labored 9 more hours without pain meds.  It was hard, painful, and exhausting.

Finally, I got to hard labor.  That lasted an hour.  I was put on oxygen because the contractions were on top of each other and I had a hard time breathing (I have asthma which didn't help).  I needed an episiotomy, so that was also fun.  I had a local, but I don't think that helped mask the pain at all.  Even with the episiotomy, I still felt the "ring of fire."

Then, after his head was out I was asked to stop pushing (which is nearly impossible when the contractions are on top of each other); however, his chord was wrapped around his neck twice, so they needed to take care of that before I pushed any further.

In the end, I am glad that I didn't continue with the epidural.  I do not plan on an epidural with this one, especially with how sick it made me last time.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I also had a med free birth and survived but I can say without a doubt that I would never ever choose to do that again. I didn't get to the hospital in time with my second child for the epidural I so desperately wanted and all I can say is that I thought the pain would kill me. I honestly thought I was going to die. Perhaps a child birth class or two would have come in real handy but I chose to skip those classes.
  • Options
    If you're looking for encouraging stories because you want to pursue a med-free birth yourself, reading stories with positive outcomes can be helpful: https://www.growingslower.com/2013/10/positive-natural-birth-stories.html
  • Options
    I had a Med free birth with my second. To be clear though I asked for them but he came so fast after that I wasn't able to get them. My recovery was great and quick. I plan on trying med free again but will have no problem asking for meds if I think I need them. 

babysizercom pregnancy ticker

• Options
    It's no walk in the park but I will do it again!
    Me 27 | DH 28
    DS October 2014
    #2 May 2016
  • Options
    I had one birth with and one without. The one without was so much better. Don't go in with anything set in stone see how it feels and then decide.  
  • Options
    I had a med-free birth because my labor was very short, so by the time I got to the hospital, I was fully dilated. Honestly, I would try to do that again. It was very (very very) intense, but for such a short time (less than four hours) it was extremely doable.
    Obviously there are no guarantees on how a labor will go. Every one is different. Make a plan, but remain flexible. Things will come up unexpectedly. Being med-free may or may not be unbearable for you. If my labor had been long and drawn out, I probably would have gotten an epidural.
    On the other hand, if I could have gotten some serious drugs to deal with the swelling down there afterwards, I would have done that. I tore some and there were stitches. Walking for a few days after that was a significant challenge.
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I got an epi with my first and ended up with a c/s. Not necessarily due to the epi, but hard to say in my case. Baby wouldn't drop.

Second birth was a med-free VBAC. It was very intense. I was not a big fan of the pain. I was stuck in transition, fully dilated with no urge to push, for 5 hours. Because, again, my babies don't drop. I had to move around a lot to finally engage her. But I did it, my recovery was much easier, and I plan to do it again, simply because I'm terrified of the epi and I really don't think I can deliver with one.

Advice: Stay home as long as possible. Get a doula. Choose a coping method. Make sure your birthing environment will be as calm and relaxed as possible.
  • Options
    Thank you guys. Your responses are so helpful. I am just going to go in open minded and be prepared to get one if I have to. I think staying home as long as I can is a good idea and praying for a short labor! LOL

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I had no epidural or meds of any kind with my 2nd child and my 1st child I had an epidural. Being pregnant with my 3rd child now i am defiantly planning on doing all natural no epidural. For me the experience was great! It went pretty fast from start of first contraction till we held our baby boy was just about 6 hours. Maybe that helped by not being able to get an epidural since I was dilating so fast and was more anxious to meet our little one. I'd suggest, requesting for a labor room with a tub if your hospital or doctor will allow that. It helped me calm down during contractions and ease the pain. I also had my midwife who was with me most of the time along with my husband listening to her telling him ways to help me relax. Music helped me as well. If you start listening to calm music now and get into that zone of peace and realizing breathing can help you go through those contractions. Also,picking a focus spot to focus on when your having a contraction helps. I tried to prepare my self before labor by repeatedly saying that the pain is all mind over matter and tried leaning breathing techniques. Good luck and hope this helps a little for you.
  • Options
    I used gas and air only, was in labour for 22 hours and stopped using pain relief about 3 hours before the birth. So was Med free during the birth, I think as long as you focus On breathing you will be ok. I kept holding my breath, but once I got the hang of breathing through the contractions it became easier. I did ask for an epidural at one point but after getting over my panic decided that I could cope without one. I had always had my heart set on a pool birth so I think the determination also helped xx
  • Options
    My experience was good but extremly painful, almost to the end I called for the epidural but it was too late the head was already their, TMI, I know. But it's worth it!
  • Options
    Tl;dr: NEVER AGAIN.

Cliff's Notes: I had wonderful labor, but my delivery was horrible. I got an epidural and loved it, but it ran out (or wherever you call it) right as I was entering transition. I asked for more because I was in a LOT of pain. Dr said you don't need more, baby's almost here. NOPE. Baby was in posterior position. Back labor. 3.5 hrs of pushing. Tore up. Tough recovery.

This time around, I'll ask them for all the epidurals they'll give me.

DISCLAIMER: This is just one person's story and has no bearing on what another person will experience.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have given birth both with an epidural and without.
    I would not choose an epidural again.
    Without was awesome.
    Definitely doing that (no epidural) again!

March 2016 siggy: babies - expectation vs reality

Brian's Whovian wife (5/'09) 
    AP, BF, BW, CD, CLW, CS, ERF, Catholic mama 
    to Evan (7/'10), Clare (8/'11), Dean (3/'14), ^F(12/'15)^, Rose (3/'16)
    *no longer a Timelord ~ WibblyWobbly BabyWaby is here!*
    <3 but i still feel bigger on the inside <3
     Autism mama! 
  • Options
    Our daughter's birth was an amazing med-free homebirth experience. My husband and I took and very much enjoyed Hypnobirthing. The best takeaway for us was a true understanding of what is happening physiologically during labor, and how fighting those natural sensations (pain, pressure, etc) can slow/stall things and make labor more painful than it needs to be. Once I knew that - that things would go faster and easier if I just got out of my body's way, I knew I could do it. And that mentality made all the difference during my labor. It was intense but manageable. I was prepared, had coping strategies, and I never doubted myself. Well, maybe for about 30 seconds before pushing, but that's normal! ;) 

Some simple recommendations - take a natural-focused birthing class, hire a doula, read positive birth stories (Ina May's Guide to Childbirth has some excellent ones,) and stop reading ANY and ALL negative birth stories. Don't watch A Baby Story. Shut down people who say you're crazy - they aren't the people you'll want supporting you in your pregnancy. (My mom was one of those people - sad but true.) If a friend wants to share her horrendous experience (because they always do!), stop her. Come up with a response that you're comfortable with that expresses that you don't want those thoughts tainting your vision of an amazing birth. That you'd love to hear her story later, after your baby has arrived. 

You can absolutely, positively do it... but set yourself up for success by being as prepared as possible. :) 
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Hi, I gave birth completely med free, and plan to do it again (except for nausea meds, read below). I can't even think about taking the risks associated with the epidural, not to mention all the synthetic hormones that mess up the natural cycle of things. The one thing that was awful was how nauseous I felt because my labor was quick, 6 hrs, my contractions were powerful and I would let them give me anti-nausea meds next time for sure. Other than that, the rest was fine. Quick recovery and no regrets! I read a lot about the natural birth with my husband and had my breathing down which helped me through the contractions. Ring of fire only lasts like 3 seconds, anybody can handle that! Knowing what to expect and what is happening to your body is so helpful. Knowing that pain doesn't last long, you get breaks, your body knows what it's doing! Just don't fight it and let nature take its course. Yey! You can do it! :)

Oh, btw, since I can compare, I find dental drilling WAY more painful than childbirth! Toothache even worse I'm sure.
  • Options
    Really enjoyed reading these ☺️ Thank you
  • Options
    I made it 40 hours of a 42 hr induction without and epi. Next time I won't even try, I am no hero.
  • Options
    mommyjhhmommyjhh member
    edited December 2015
    I had a non-epidural birth and it was AMAZING! :)

I had been walking every day, and doing squats and so I was very prepared for a long labor. It was Friday, and I walked home from work and started to feel minor contractions. As they got worse, I just  focused on relaxation, did some yoga positions, bounced on my yoga ball, took a bath and watched TV. Once they were unbearable I went to the hospital and I was 5 cm dilated. I tried laboring in the bath and hated it.

I started walking around the cooridor, and then at every contraction, I squated with a cold wash cloth in one hand to squeeze and bite down on, and in the other hand a pressure squeezer. My doula used a rebozo which was incredible!

I labored (walking the entire time) from about 8-9 PM, until around 3-4 AM (I think). Early in the morning I asked them to break my waters as I was stuck at 9 cm. That was the only medical intervention I had, other then nausea meds, because I was vomiting at every contraction initially. I pushed for a couple of hours and he was born at 5:33 AM! :)

What I found most helpful: My doula (a doula is PRICELESS), the rebozo, having a contraction ritual, having understanding, patient and attentive midwives and nurses (I have a nurse, my mother, doula, midwife and MIL)

Pros: I felt great afterwards! I could get up and walk around and I felt such a sense of achievement! Plus baby boy came out as a 9 on the apgar scale! :)

Cons: Not going to lie, its painful! The worst bit is when they have to check HB and you have to stay in a position or lie down for a few contractions. 

Its painful, but completely worth it in my opinion!
  • Options
    I had an epi with DS labor and it was an amazing, amazing experience. Felt very little pain, he was born perfect and I enjoyed my experience very much. With my 2nd labor the epi did not work, and the severe amount of pain I was in is something I will never forget. I felt like I was dying. 
    I am hoping to get an epi with my 3rd, and pray it works! There are no medals in the pain olympics in my opinion. Also, I refused any narcotics (mind altering pain meds) I just had the numbing part of the epi. I was given nausea medication (without my consent early in labor) since I could not stop throwing up, which made me hallucinate. Just be aware of what exactly are in the drugs they may give you and the variations in the type of epidurals. 
    Baby #3 
    DS 6 yrs, DD 4 yrs
    2 Fur babies
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    ***lurker***

Just wanted to share my experience:

I fully intended to get an epidural. I did a lot of research and spoke to a neuroscientist at work who explained why she had chosen an epidural over the less invasive pain relief options. I fully intended to walk in and ask for the epi right away.

Turns out, when I went into labour, it really wasn't that bad! I had a fairly long slow labour. Started mild contractions at 11pm, was admitted at 3pm the next day at 6cm and DS was born at 10:45 after 10 mins of pushing.

I was only in really active labour for the last 3-4 hours and by then, DH and I had a good system going and I was able to cope very well without the meds. At our hospital, the support people have to leave the room while the epidural is being placed and that takes about 20-30 mins. By the time I was at the point where I was considering it, having my husband gone for half an hour seemed way worse than the contractions so we talked about it once and decided against it.

One thing that I will disagree with is you hear a lot of women say that "the contractions are the worst part and once they tell you to push it's such a relief and you'll feel better". That was not my experience. The actual delivery was by far the scariest and most painful part. I was lucky though and I had one of those bodies that just took over and did it for me so even that part was relatively easy.

Overall I feel like I was really lucky and had a really awesome experience with the unmedicated birth.
  • Options
    We planned no epidural for both our pregnancies, and I'm very glad we did. Both of my labors were very quick (baby born within 45 minutes of getting to the hospital) and an epidural wasn't an option even had I planned on it.

That said, I had back labor with both kids that was extremely painful, and may have considered one if I was in for a longer labor.

It was painful, but I very much appreciated the freedom to move around during and after birth.
  • Options
    I have had two children, one naturally and one with an epidural. With my second, my labor was so quick that I didn't have time for one. I had NO desire to go natural after experiencing contractions with my first. Everything about my natural birth was worse tears, recovery, etc.

I definitely want an epidural again for baby #3 but what you may not realize is that you don't always get a choice. Sometimes babies come too fast. Just my experience. 
  • Options
    Ditto to what @alynne1113 said. I labored 23 out of 27 hours without an epidural. Once I had it I was so relaxed and it was seriously the most peaceful birth experience. I also had a second degree tear..I couldn't imagine not having an epi after that.
  • Options
    ***lurker*** Just wanted to share my experience: I fully intended to get an epidural. I did a lot of research and spoke to a neuroscientist at work who explained why she had chosen an epidural over the less invasive pain relief options. I fully intended to walk in and ask for the epi right away. Turns out, when I went into labour, it really wasn't that bad! I had a fairly long slow labour. Started mild contractions at 11pm, was admitted at 3pm the next day at 6cm and DS was born at 10:45 after 10 mins of pushing. I was only in really active labour for the last 3-4 hours and by then, DH and I had a good system going and I was able to cope very well without the meds. At our hospital, the support people have to leave the room while the epidural is being placed and that takes about 20-30 mins. By the time I was at the point where I was considering it, having my husband gone for half an hour seemed way worse than the contractions so we talked about it once and decided against it. One thing that I will disagree with is you hear a lot of women say that "the contractions are the worst part and once they tell you to push it's such a relief and you'll feel better". That was not my experience. The actual delivery was by far the scariest and most painful part. I was lucky though and I had one of those bodies that just took over and did it for me so even that part was relatively easy. Overall I feel like I was really lucky and had a really awesome experience with the unmedicated birth.
    Oh man, the pushing was SOOOOO damn painful. It was truly awful and that was the part that made me think I was going to die! My daughter was 9 pounds but still....ouch.
  • Options
    I did it last year! I planned and prepped for it — I knew I didn't want any drugs. I ended up having to be augmented with Pit but I still didn't get an epi or pain meds. The whole time during labor I kept saying "Why did I do this? The women who got the epi are SO smart!" Right after the birth I told my husband, "Next time I'm getting the drugs!" BUT after about 36 hours, the pain had completely faded from my mind and I WILL be doing it again next time! I liked being mobile during the labor and my baby was super alert at birth — two things I really appreciated as a result of going med free. So I can recommend it and say you can definitely do it! But it was painful, I'm not gonna lie. It's a pain you can handle, but it's intense :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I say if you want to seek out a med-free birth experience, go in with an open mind, see how it goes, and deal with it accordingly. I had a 32 hour labour and was ill (vomiting, etc.) for almost 20 hours of that time. I couldn't keep anything down, and didn't sleep well the night before when I was in early labour, so needless to say, was beyond tired and exhausted going in to active labor and delivery. It was incredibly difficult. I didn't want meds, but I was very conscious of the fact that it is okay to change your mind in the moment if you think it will help you. In the end, for me, the pain wasn't so terrible that I felt I needed pain relief, and I managed to give birth without any medication. In hindsight, my level of exhaustion and being physically ill was the worst part of it all, far greater than any pain from contractions or pushing. Does L&D hurt? Absolutely. Do some people have a higher pain tolerance than others? For sure. If you want to attempt a med-free birth, I say go for it. Take a wait-and-see approach, and if, in the moment, you feel that the pain is too much to handle, don't be afraid to accept it. BUT please try your best to not let a fear of experiencing pain deter you from having a med-free birth if that is what you want. See how it feels for YOU once you've experienced it, then decide.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I was induced with a pretty low dose of pitocin, but no epi by choice. Before they broke my water the contractions were every 3 minutes but I didn't think they even hurt really, although I do have a high pain tolerance generally. After they broke my water (to help labor progress without more drugs), the contractions were noticeably uncomfortable but manageable. I was able to move around and go to the bathroom when I needed to. I had taken a Bradley method course that I think helped prepare me mentally pretty well. When I got to the transition phase (lasted a half an hour until pushing), everything I had practiced went out the window. I was sweating badly and very tense making the pain even more severe. For me, pushing was a relief to just get it over with and I did not find it especially painful even though I tore in 3 places and at least one was second degree and required quite a bit of stitching. I was so glad I didn't get the epi so I had freedom to move around during labor and right after without any possibility of additional side effects. A relative had horrible migraines as a result of her epidural. I was overwhelmed enough with a colicky newborn! Again, I have a high pain tolerance though. The nurses thought I was pretty odd for not needing Motrin or something for the tears/healing afterward. To me it was nothing compared to what I had experienced and I don't like taking drugs unless absolutely necessary.

Edit: Added specifics
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    With DS I was induced and had an epi. I felt no pain and it was very peaceful, recovery a breeze. With DD my epi did not work and labor was absolute hell. I felt like I was dying, and I will no doubt be getting an epi with #3.
    I ask for no pain meds, just the numbing part of the epi. That way I am not loopy at all, just numb.
    I will never understand why you would not want an epi? Would you get a filling at the dentist without meds just to prove 'you can do it'? There is no trophy in the pain olympics. IMO ;)
    Baby #3 
    DS 6 yrs, DD 4 yrs
    2 Fur babies
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    Sorry to interrupt this but wanted to say that while i loved my epidural (and think my anesthesiologist is a saint), i really missed the ability to walk around, and it did slow me down. Pushing was also very, very hard, not because of the epi (I could feel everything, just had no pain) but because i was just so darn exhausted by the time it was time to push.  So, while i would get the epi again, there are definite cons, so if you can handle the pain, all the power to you!
  • Options
    I have had 2 med-free deliveries and would not have it any other way. My first LO was almost 48 hours of labor. I think that if you have the right mind set and can manage the pain you should go for it! As other PP have said the natural high you get after you deliver is AMAZING. Look into your options and know that you are in control of your own delivery. 
  • Options
    I went all natural with my first,  my active labor was only two hours. Not sure what I plan on doing for second. im curious too of others experience. my mother had five kids each pregnancy she had 9lbs babies and did it pain free but in our family are labor is under four hours. my pregnancy was long long ago though, and I was younger. I might opt for one this round
  • Options
    I did it with my DS in October. It was the most painful and horrendous experience of my life.

However, I would totally do it again, because I have never felt prouder of myself. Since giving birth without any pain medication or management, I feel like I can take on anything.

A friend of mine gave birth 2 months after I did, and she decided when she was stuck at 9cm to get an epidural. It's totally a personal decision.

Good luck!