Babies on the Brain

Freshman Orientation

Good evening, everyone!  I have been eagerly awaiting my promotion to member in order to introduce myself.  I'm 32, a high school English teacher (hence the title), and recently (12 days ago!) married.  My husband and I have been talking about kids since just after we started dating, almost 4 years ago. We feel beyond ready to get going, but I've been on Seasonique/Seasonale for 12+ years, and I was on Yasmin and Ortho Tri Cyclen for at least 3 or 4 years before that.  Add it all up, and you'll see that I likely haven't ovulated since I was a teenager.  

We obviously have NO idea what to expect, or how long it might take.  The doc says it'll take me 3-6 months to regulate, but I think everyone has that cousin or that best friend (I happen to have both...) who went off the pill for like 30 seconds and got pregnant just by sitting next to her husband on the subway.  So for now, I'm doing simple charting - mostly temping - to see if I can't identify some patterns while my systems get up and running again.  In the mean time, I would love to get to know some other folks who are waiting for one reason or another.  I am very much in the "all my friends are pregnant" phase, and I love my friends dearly, but they're driving me crazy!

So thanks for being so welcoming to incoming freshmen.  I look forward to getting to know you all while we go though this crazy process!

Re: Freshman Orientation

• Welcome and congrats on your wedding! Did you do a honeymoon at all?
  • Welcome! You get props for the most entertaining intro I've seen in a while! :) I'm 33, and actively TTC, and like you I had been on BC for just about all of eternity -- I will say that it took about 6 weeks for my first period after BC, and although my cycles haven't been crazy, it's taken a few months to feel "regular". Anyway, enough about  me in your intro. Welcome and good luck! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Not yet!  We are planning to take a trip over my spring break, at the end of March.
  • SLou24 said:
    Welcome! You get props for the most entertaining intro I've seen in a while! :) I'm 33, and actively TTC, and like you I had been on BC for just about all of eternity -- I will say that it took about 6 weeks for my first period after BC, and although my cycles haven't been crazy, it's taken a few months to feel "regular". Anyway, enough about  me in your intro. Welcome and good luck! 
    That's really good information to know - I've been off for two weeks and I am a total basket case.  I have a feeling I'm going to be a mess for a while.  Thank you for the welcome!!
  • Welcome and congrats on your recent wedding! You'll find all sorts of ladies here in a similar situation. DH and I are waiting to TTC #1 until next summer when he gets back from deployment. I plan on going off BC when he leaves (after 10 years on being on it), which will give me roughly four-ish months to hopefully get relatively normal before we start trying. I'm really curious to see what will happen...

I look forward to seeing you around the boards. :)
  • Welcome!! A lot of us here can totally sympathize with your everyone-is-pregnant life stage.

I'm in the same boat as you as far as the birth control goes - I've actually only ovulated only once in my entire life (assuming I ovulated on my first ever period cycle), so I have no clue how going off the pill is going to be.
  • Hello and congrats on getting married! Im 30 and just came off the pill almost a month ago. We are going to start ttc tentatively next fall to get some more ducks in a row and let my body regulate itself. Im charting with temps and CM. My temps seem to indicate ive ovulated but we shall see! I can also relate as my best friend is pregnant with her 3rd and its really kicked my baby fever into overdrive! Welcome to the boards!
  • Welcome and congratulations on your wedding!
  • picklespleasepicklesplease member
    edited November 2015
     @Lindseyrva - your post sounds exactly like me. I, too, am a high school English teacher. My husband and I got married in June and were convinced that we were going to wait an entire year to start trying, but health problems on my part showed us that we should move that date up. I was also on Seasonale and others for the majority of my life and didn't start ovulating until I went off BCPS in May. My doctor and I discovered that I don't always ovulate, though.

But I'm also in the same boat where everyone is getting pregnant and it's driving me crazy. My best friend is 17 weeks and that's all she wants to talk about. My boss is carrying twins and my SIL was one of those people who went off the pill and got pregnant just from telling my brother she wanted to have a baby. 

I have been charting for three months now, I highly recommend reading Taking Charge of Your Fertility. It's a very easy and fun read. I learned so much from it and even caught DH picking it up every so often. 

Best of luck to you! 
  • Thank you all so much for the warm welcome! 

@Berkevaughn - I am reading TCOYF right now, and I'm really enjoying it!  It's such a relief to meet people who are going through the same thing!
  • I am 26 and I have been married to my husband for 3.5 years. I told him that next year we are trying for a baby because the baby craziness is driving me nuts! I have a lot of factors that scare me, thinking I might miss my window. Cancer is prevalent in my family, my mom got uteran/ovarian cancer when she was 29 so I'm a little panicked. She had a hysterectomy at 32 or 34 or something. Sorry to be a downer, and I know I'm not my mother but I am a lot like her!

I only have periods on the pill. Which I recently discovered means I haven't ovulated. Woo hoo. I go in to talk to my gynecologist on Tuesday to get an idea for the way we're going to go about handling my TTC. I am so nervous and afraid. I've also just ordered a basal thermometer and a copy of Taking Charge of Your Fertility, and downloaded a fertility chart. I don't know if it will do someone like me any good, but I'm interested in trying.

Anyway... enough about me! Welcome to the board and I wish you the best of luck.
    Husband & I married May 26th, 2012
    Me 28 Him 28
    TTC #1 since January 1st 2016
    Anovulatory with PCOS
    Clomid 50;100;150;200: No O
    TSH 3.75 Put on 50mg levothyroxine
    1500 MG Metformin
    7.5 MG Letrozole: No Follicles
    9 MG Letrozole: 21mm Follicle no pregnancy
    4 cycles at 9 MG Letrozole, No pregnancy

• @Mythril sorry to hear you have reasons to anticipate some issues.  I am about a third of the way through TCOYF and it's blowing my mind.  I feel like I'm already so armed with information for talking to my doctor.  

I had a casual chat with my OB/GYN at my last well-woman appointment in June, and I told her I was getting married and she suggested going off the pill asap, but otherwise didn't anticipate any other issues for me.  She told me to go off a couple of months early, saying, "if you walk down the aisle two months pregnant, no one will know!"  I was adamant about waiting (and thus being able to drink a LOT of champagne at my wedding... which I did... and about which, I am NOT sorry), but I'm kind of regretting that I didn't go off when she said.  It's only been 2 weeks and the wait for my first ovulation is killing me.  I know it's just a crap shoot as to when it'll happen, so all I can do for now is wait.  

I can't imagine how much of a challenge it must be to go though what you're dealing with.  My heart goes out to you.  I think you'll get a lot out of TCOYF, and I look forward to hearing about how the process is going for you!!
  • YogaSandyYogaSandy member
    edited November 2015
    ETA - trigger warning (pregnancy mentioned).

Not to give false hope (lurker here - I participate more on the tri boards and TTGP), but I am that friend. I was 32, had been on BCP since 18, and was waiting until after my big half marathon in Malibu to stop. We had been married 9 years at that point, and I'm also a hs English teacher. I wanted to plan on having the baby in the summer to time it well with the school year (I'm also from Canada and get a year off). We figured it'd probably take over a year of trying due to the length on time on BCP, our ages (DH was 37) and that fact that DH travels for work every single week. Monday to Friday (with the very odd exception). I was pregnant the second month trying. A co-worker told me I had to plan better (jokingly) so I wasn't due in October. I told him we didn't think it would happen nearly that fast. I was actually completely shocked by my BFP because I felt that my period was coming - right on schedule. So when people tell you pms symptoms and pregnant symptoms are the same - they are right