1st Trimester
Options

why would someone have a large amount of protein in there urine?

I am only 12 weeks and 4 days pregnant. I went to my second docters apt yesterday, and they asked for a urine sample. Well he came back and told me that I have a large amount of protein in my urine. I haven't been able to eat that much do to nausea. So at that point I had noting to eat and it was about 1:30 in the afternoon. Has this happened to anyone else or does anyone have any advise?

Answers

• Options
    Hm, was your doctor able to explain to you what that could possibly mean? He might be able to answer that for you better than we can.

Dr Google also says this:

Excess protein in your urine can be a sign of a urinary tract infection (UTI), kidney damage, or certain other disorders. Later in your pregnancy, it can also be a sign of preeclampsia if it's accompanied by high blood pressure.

Did he mention any of that to you?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    What did your doctor say? I don't know a doctor that would tell you this but not give an explanation along with a way to remedy the situation. A lot of different things can cause this but we're all different and have different pregnancies. If he didn't say and you didn't ask you should at least call his office and ask.
    March '16 December Siggy Challenge - Favorite Christmas Movies/Quotes
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Usually if you are not able to eat a lot you will have proteins because your body is breaking down what it has (fat and muscle) in lieu of food. Those that fast periodically (for various reasons) also will have high proteins. It can be a marker for Pre-E, but your BP should be monitored as well as swelling. You could have ketones (a type of protein) in your urine due to not being able to eat much at the time of your sample.

One sample of high proteins is not a huge reason to freak. Its when you have other factors (consistent high BP, headaches, and swelling) that it CAN be an issue during pregnancy. Your doctor will most likely monitor your BP and have you do a UA every visit. My OB has us pee on a strip at every prenatal visit to check for proteins, sugars and infection. Does yours do this?

I wouldn't worry yet. This could be an isolated incident due to your morning sickness and not being able to eat. Your kidneys might be having a hard time etc. too. So drink your water as much as you can to flush them. You want your urine to be almost clear. If it gets to a tea-like dark brown then that is a worry. 

Good luck. I didn't have kidney issues until after I gave birth, but boy did I get them (stones and kidney infections). I had mild Pre-E at the end of my pregnancy with my son. So if you have an issue your doctor will tell you what steps to take.  

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    The doctor told me I had no ketones in my urine. My urine was very dark, but I do not drink much water. I am only 12 weeks it's way to early to be Preeclampsia, that doesn't come untill 20 weeks I thought. My b/p was great I do not have any swelling. Now what makes me worry is my kidneys I hope they are working properly and if not does it hurt the baby? I was pregnant before but lost the baby in the first few weeks so now everything worrys me. Thank you for your advice.
  • Options
    Protein in the urine can also happen after exercise, stress or fever. They will probably continue to monitor and see if it's an isolated incident. I agree with others though, that if your urine is dark you're more than likely dehydrated. Make sure you follow up with your doc.
  • Options
    The doctor told me I had no ketones in my urine. My urine was very dark, but I do not drink much water. I am only 12 weeks it's way to early to be Preeclampsia, that doesn't come untill 20 weeks I thought. My b/p was great I do not have any swelling. Now what makes me worry is my kidneys I hope they are working properly and if not does it hurt the baby? I was pregnant before but lost the baby in the first few weeks so now everything worrys me. Thank you for your advice.
    You want to try and drink as much water as you can. Flavor it with fruits if you want to change the taste. You should be getting at least 64 ounces a day (I aim for 80)
  • Options
    You want to try and drink as much water as you can. Flavor it with fruits if you want to change the taste. You should be getting at least 64 ounces a day (I aim for 80)
    This. If you can't stomach water, eat more fruits and vegetables. Even though it isn't as good as plain water, coffee or tea will increase your water intake as well. You do not want to end up with dehydration during pregnancy.

I lurk. I snark. I offer sound advice if you're not BSC. You may not like me. I'm okay with it.

• Options
    adiaz132003adiaz132003 member
    edited November 2015

This. If you can't stomach water, eat more fruits and vegetables. Even though it isn't as good as plain water, coffee or tea will increase your water intake as well. You do not want to end up with dehydration during pregnancy.

QBF

Also, adding flavored electrolytes to your water will allow the water to absorb easier into your system. It's something both my chiropractor (who specializes in nutrient absorption) and my midwife say is a must! I use UCAN Hydrate. It's all natural and has a similar taste to Gatorade but has zero sugar.
  • Options
    Glad I used the search function! I am not a huge hydrator as a non-PG woman and have had some difficulty drinking enough. I usually keep a bottle of Ginger ale with me but I worry about all the sugar especially since I am eating the hell out of bread and fruit. Usually I cut the Ginger ale with seltzer water.

I thought I drank enough yesterday but am constipated today!
  • Options
    If you have kidney trouble it affects you more than baby. Baby takes what it needs from you and you are left with whatever is after. Pregnancy taxes the kidneys because you are filtering for you and baby. So, you want to drink at least 100 ounces a day (I know it sounds like a lot-- but think of 5 venti waters from starbucks). I got a HUGE water bottle from REI and I refilled it at least 6 times a day. You HAVE to drink to flush the kidneys. The more water you have the better you will be all around.

If you have a hard time drinking that much then go with watery fruits: Peaches, watermelon, cucumbers and such. That can add to your water intake. Its vital that you drink though. Good luck.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Options
    Glad I used the search function! I am not a huge hydrator as a non-PG woman and have had some difficulty drinking enough. I usually keep a bottle of Ginger ale with me but I worry about all the sugar especially since I am eating the hell out of bread and fruit. Usually I cut the Ginger ale with seltzer water. I thought I drank enough yesterday but am constipated today!
    The constipation may not have anything to do with your water intake. Though you should still aim to hydrate. Your bowels are slower due to hormonal changes, so you can be perfectly hydrated and backed up at the same time. During my pg with DS I had a tablespoon of olive oil or coconut oil with every meal. That can help lubricate the stool on its way down the intestine so that you can pass it easier. Good luck! Also, ask about the dosage for Colace.

Another awesome thing every pregnant woman should have is the squatty potty. It can help you eliminate waste easily in the proper position. Look into it!

https://www.squattypotty.com/

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Options
    Another awesome thing every pregnant woman should have is the squatty potty. It can help you eliminate waste easily in the proper position. Look into it!

I have a squatty potty! My husband was so proud to buy one and now we fight over the bathroom that has it. No one wants to poo in the non-squatty room.

OP-hopefully it was a one off urine test and the next ones will come back fine. I agree with PPs, keep a bottle of water with you at all times and just sip from it. If you feel thirsty, you are already becoming dehydrated. So stay on top of it for you and for baby!