Babies: 3 - 6 Months

4 months old and cat naps

HELP!!!!!! It seems as if my LO will maybe take an hour or less naps each day maybe like 3 or 4 times a day and as soon as I try to sleep too I look over and he's up and looking dead at me smiling is this normal and what are some tips to help me get him to sleep a little longer if possible

Re: 4 months old and cat naps

• My LO is 16 weeks (not "officially" 4 months until the end of the month-don't know why it lines up like that) but does the same thing and takes 3-4 cat naps a day.  For now, I'm just going with it.  I'm trying to remember back to my first, but that was 3 years ago!  How does your LO sleep at night?  Thankfully we get around 12+ hours with 1-2 feedings.  I just can't remember when the cat naps ended and "real" naps began :-(  I'm right there with you and feel your pain, but with a 3 year old, who thankfully also still naps!!
  • My son is 4 months also and has just started this. Any movement I have noticed he wakes up. So I try to leave him sleeping where he is at, making sure it is a safe place. The only good thing out of mine is that he sleeps all night already. Sorry no real help. But your not alone
    image  image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • This is normal...by the time they're 4 months, few children are taking multi-hour naps anymore.  They should be getting somewhere between 2.5-4 hours of naps in during the day, depending on how long they sleep at night, and the more naps they take the shorter those naps are.  LO typically takes 4 naps a day, all of which are between 20 and 45 minutes long, and then she sleeps 11-12 hours at night.  Occassionally she will sleep for 60 or 90 minutes for one of her naps if she had a rough night, but then she just takes fewer naps that day.

By the time they get to 6 months, they take fewer naps, so some children will lengthen them out to an hour or so at that point.  But some kids are just cat nappers.  I hate that i can't get anything done during the day on the weekends because LO won't take long naps, but if that's what it takes for her to sleep soundly from 7pm - 6/7am, i will take it.  i'm a much happier person when i get to sleep at night.  My nephew started taking long naps again when he moved to only one nap a day - he had been taking two 60-90 minute naps and then after turning 1 he moved to one 2-3 hour nap instead.  The long naps of newborn-hood end pretty quickly!

• delujm0 said:

This is normal...by the time they're 4 months, few children are taking multi-hour naps anymore.  They should be getting somewhere between 2.5-4 hours of naps in during the day, depending on how long they sleep at night, and the more naps they take the shorter those naps are.  LO typically takes 4 naps a day, all of which are between 20 and 45 minutes long, and then she sleeps 11-12 hours at night.  Occassionally she will sleep for 60 or 90 minutes for one of her naps if she had a rough night, but then she just takes fewer naps that day.

By the time they get to 6 months, they take fewer naps, so some children will lengthen them out to an hour or so at that point.  But some kids are just cat nappers.  I hate that i can't get anything done during the day on the weekends because LO won't take long naps, but if that's what it takes for her to sleep soundly from 7pm - 6/7am, i will take it.  i'm a much happier person when i get to sleep at night.  My nephew started taking long naps again when he moved to only one nap a day - he had been taking two 60-90 minute naps and then after turning 1 he moved to one 2-3 hour nap instead.  The long naps of newborn-hood end pretty quickly!

Exactly this. Sorry OP but it's normal.

As they get older and take fewer naps, the length of the naps get longer but it takes time.