Breastfeeding
Options

Clogged duct/so close to quitting

It's been one problem after another while nursing my 4.5 month old. Now, I have what I honk is a clogged duct. The bottom half of my breast is hard and my nipple hurts so bad. I've been pumping a ton and using a warm compress. I have two questions: does have advice on how to get rid of these quickly? I don't think there is anything else that I can do. Also, I started pumping out milk with blood in it. Could that mean the the clog is almost out?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Clogged duct/so close to quitting

• Options
    I had several clogged ducts and they are very painful :( massaging can help to clear them too. It helps to feed the baby, then you can really feel where the clog is and massage toward the nipple. The bleeding could be a number of thing, related or unrelated. I never had any bleeding with the clogs. Definitely call your doctor if the pain continues, I would consider calling now just to rule out mastitis. I actually had a lactation consultant help massage mine out, it was awkward but the best thing ever I felt so much better by the next day! Good luck :)
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice! I called my dr today and he thought it was a clogged duct and not mastitis because I don't have a fever. He said to call back tomorrow if it still hurts.

Do you think I should wake up throughout the night to pump, if my DD doesn't get up to eat?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Do you think I should wake up throughout the night to pump, if my DD doesn't get up to eat?

I do. Avoids the clogged ducts and keeps supply up. I've gone 8pm - 2am before pumping, which is 6 hours but usually I try to keep it not longer than 5 hours without pumping.
  • Options
    Thanks! I ended up going to the doctor today and he said its mastitis. Hopefully the antibiotics clear it up soon.
  • Options

Thanks! I ended up going to the doctor today and he said its mastitis. Hopefully the antibiotics clear it up soon.

Be sure to get as much rest (sleep and downtime) I've also heard anti-inflammatory like motrin or advil helps if you can take that.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that but at least you should be feeling soon! I don't personally wake up to pump unless I'm uncomfortable but if you wake up engorged I would definitely
    Pump at least enough to take the edge off and keep the milk moving!
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I have my pump ready in case I need to pump in the middle of this night, but I'm only going to if I wake up in pain. My dr did say to take Motrin so I am starting that now and hopefully I'll sleep better tonight because it won't hurt as bad.
  • Options
    Take lots of probiotics while on your antibiotic!!! My mastitis has now caused thrush :/ the antibiotics and nursing at least every 3 hrs should clear it up quickly, hope you feel better!