April 2015 Moms
Options

Baby constipation

So Lo is a week shy of 7 months and has been on solids for about a week and a half, his bm have been pretty normal up until today. He has had about 4 painful bm today and it's solid and hard he cries during them so tried giving pear juice and fed some prunes he's been Ebf and still is besides the puréed foods. I feel so bad for him we've been doing Tummy massages and a warm bath as well I feel like I don't k ow what else to do or how many days go by til I take him in if it doesn't get better we've never had this problem yet. Can't help but to feel like it's my fault poor baby I just want him to feel bette. Anyone else have this problem too? Anything else I can do??

Re: Baby constipation

• Options
    We had this issue a few weeks back. Our LO would cry and also bleed a little from an anal fissure caused by the hard stools. Our pedi said to stay away from bananas, rice cereal and apples and to be sure to give a max of 4 oz half juice, half water per day. We also put hydrocortisone 1% on her bum. Oatmeal and prunes worked wonders for us. Some babies are just more sensitive to solids than others. Our LO is back to normal now after about a week of struggles. Hope some of this will help your baby :)
  • Options
    Today was a better day I think all the juice and prunes helped! Do you give the oatmeal cereal or just oatmeal cause we have the oatmeal cereal as well. Thank you for the advice!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Glad to hear he's feeling better ! We do gerber oatmeal cereal mixed into her more liquidy fruits like pears.
  • Options
    NickiochNickioch member
    edited November 2015
    You might call the ped if it's hard stool. Our little guy tends to go about 5 days between poops but after solids was more like 7-10! They said to do 1 oz prune juice to 1 oz water 2x a day (no more!) and the warm baths, tummy stretches too, but to call if the poop is ever hard or bloody. You might want to just let them know in case they want to check him out. They also advised the cereal being binding so you might want to hold off on cereal and bananas, they're constipating. A friend gives hers just like warm- room temp water and that works wonders for her babe. Good luck! Poor lil guy!
  • Options
    Doh! I should read before I post, lots of what I said is duplicate from others advice!
  • Options
    It's all very good advice really thank you! I appreciate it very much! Hopefully we can keep him regular now!
  • Options
    sugar water!! If you google it there's tons of info but something about the sugar helps them go and easier. You just add a little, no need to go overboard. I've done with my son if things got too backed up since he was 5 weeks and it's always helped.