2nd Trimester
Options

What to buy?!

So I was told to wait till I was 13 weeks to start buying things cause the begin of my pregnancy has been crazy ( I been hospitalize 4 times for puking up blood and I was also hit by a car and knocked out for 2 days) so I've spent most of the begin in the hospital but now that everything is going smoothly I want to start buying my baby things but this is my first pregnancy and I wanted to know from women who have kids what they think I should buy first. PLEASE NO NEGITIVE COMMENTS! Thank you

Re: What to buy?!

• Options
    This is my first baby.  But, I picked up some clothes, few toys, and a Boby chair at yard sales, because I'm really into reusing and I knew there wouldn't be many yard sales once the weather got cold.  Found some cool stuff.

One of the first things we bought was a baby book, so that we could write in it and add photos as things happened.  
  • Options
    Start a registry. I used babies r us and they have a neat checklist that really helps out. Start researching products. We can't really give advice because everyone is so different. What one mom think is a necessity others think is a waste. You know you'll need the basics so maybe start there. Also, FWIW I didn't start purchasing items until late second tri. Sorry you have had a rough pregnancy so far, here's to a H&H 9!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Negative *
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Theres no right or wrong way to do things. But if you want opinions, personally i would make a registry, see what you get for your shower and then purchase anything off of your registry that you wanted and didn't get. The only things I would even consider buying before my shower would maybe be a small, spur of the moment, purchase like a cute onesie... though even then, I'm definitely waiting until I know the sex to buy anything. My feeling is-I'm only 14 weeks, there's no need to race to buy things the moment the first trimester is over. Also, if your having all those coplications I would wait until things calm down in your life to start baby shopping, u have plenty of time. ETA I would also be curious to know how you were hit by a car.. Since u offered up the information
  • Options
    I don't understand buying things before your shower? Obviously small things I would buy; like books or clothes. I'm waiting until after my shower to buy anything else.

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    And OP I was hit by a car in college. Stoner crossed into oncoming traffic and hit me as I was almost at the sidewalk. It sucks! I wasn't too injured. Hope you recover ok!

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    Diapers, wipes, baby shampoo/wash, baby towels, burp cloths, thermometer, tylenol, blankets, and start a registry. What I've started doing is keeping an eye out for things that are on my registry that go on a super sale. I've taken care of a lot of things just from doing that.
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• Options
    There's really people who have nothing to do with their lives other than criticize/bully others...it's pretty sad.

I'm also a FTM, and while we will have a shower, I'm not relying on friends and family to buy some of the bigger/more expensive pieces (especially those where we've made the decisions as to what we want and don't feel like being criticized for being picky). So yesterday we bought the crib, dresser, and night table. My parents might help us out with it (according to my sister), bit since nothing has been offered yet, I won't hold my breath on that one. We also had to order ASAP as it takes up to 14 weeks to get them. We're planning on buying the stroller ourselves as well, and we happen to have a connection who can get us a carseat and playpen directly from the maker for really cheap. We won't buy anything else major til the shower, but when we see something we really like (DH saw bibs with the logo of his favourite hockey team yesterday), then we get it. So really, there's no rush, but I'd recommend organizing what you want in a registry, whether you'll have a shower or not. And yes, the Babies R Us list is great to give you an idea of what you need.
  • Options
    I'm also a FTM. I'm 25 weeks and we just started buying things a few weeks ago. It really is helpful to know the sex of the baby. Which we were able to find out at 11 weeks, but still held off on buying baby things to make sure my pregnancy progressed properly. But other than maybe a couple of irresistible outfits and toys, I wouldn't buy any small items (diapers, wipes, clothes, wash cloths, blankets) because that's probably the majority of what you will receive at your baby shower. We have already bought a play yard and are getting a crib within the next couple of weeks because the one we want is on sale right now. But we don't anticipate to get many if any big ticket items at the shower. So I'd say those are safe to purchase now. Just keep the receipts!!! Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy :smile:
    October 2017 May siggy challenge - Parenting fails

DS-02/25/16
    Pregnancy #2-Due 8/24/17 MMC-01/09/17
    DD-Due 10/24/17
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    um, I hadn't even bought maternity clothes at 13 weeks. Still haven't bought anything for the baby.
  • Options
    I've bought diapers (I'm using cloth and I don't expect I'll get many at my shower), wipes, toiletries, hangers. Basically, I try to get something practical everytime I go to the store to spread out the purchases. I use Cartwheel at target and get really good deals on baby toiletries. Ive bought fabric and yarn for blankets/knitting/sewing projects.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm due in April. So far I've started to slowly build a registry. I have about 10 items on there so far. DH and I will do the nursery in December or January. Everything else is waiting until after the shower.
    It's really fun and exciting to look at baby clothes and things but everything changes so fast so I'm trying to hold off on that. Especially without knowing sex of baby- unless you're team green. And there's sooooo much time! I just focus on researching baby items if I'm feeling like shopping.
  • Options
    I personally am waiting until 20 weeks at minimum to start purchasing anything. First, it allows us to pick items that correspond to the sex of the baby, and second, I would be absolutely devastated if I found at at my 20 week scan that something was majorly wrong, the last thing I would want to do would be to have to come home and deal with a whole bunch of baby stuff in my house.

The only items we really plan to purchase before the baby comes (other than clothes, diapers and wipes) are a crib, a dresser/changing table combo, a pack-and-play w/bassinet insert, and a car seat that attaches to a stroller. Other than that, we plan to buy items as we need them. No need to spend all sorts of money on what we think might be useful when we have no idea if it actually will be.
  • Options
    I'm 23 weeks tomorrow and I'm going to be buying the stroller at the end of this week. This will be the first "prep" purchase for the baby and only because I will get a better deal on it. Don't rush to buy things.
  • Options

one of my friends was hit by a car while walking and it was terrible. She was in the hospital for over a month, it's crazy the amount of damage that can be done. I hope you are healing well!

I agree with most of the PP that it's "best" to wait until later and if you are having a shower until after the shower. That being said we bought the nursery furniture (when my mom found out we were buying it instead of registering for it she said they wanted to pay for which was great).

I also went to some consignment sales and bought some of the "gear items" I wanted a specific swing that the seat came out and doubled as a bouncer since we have a small house. I also wanted a rock-n-play and found one in awesome condition. They were items that I didn't want others to spend the marked up prices on.

I've been satisfying my desires to shop mostly by tweaking my registry and by collecting hand me downs. SO MANY HAND ME DOWNS! I'm so glad I started getting them now...

*Kate*

February 2016

• Options
    I am not sure what you are asking. Are you asking what items you should buy in the order of importance? Or what particular item should be your first purchase? As long as you acquire ( through shower or yourself) all the necessary/ desired items prior to you going into labor, I don't see why it matters what specific item you purchase first.
    If you are talking about the order of importance, I'd say a carseat. You can't bring your baby home without one. I think 13 weeks is a bit early to buy things for a baby. You have plenty of time, you could start a registry and cross items off when you come across a good deal or sale, then after your shower, buy what you still need with a completion coupon.
    September Sig challenge: Fall
    imageimage
  • Options
    It's still early to buy things as pps said. The only thing I bought that early was the pregnancy book so I could organize the US pics and document certain pregnancy information. Hope ur recovering well. Gl
  • Options
    I'm 23 weeks and we have gotten the crib/mattress, diaper pail, dresser, tons of diapers/wipes and a few different outfits. I'm not expecting a shower seeing as this is my second child. However, my first was 8 years ago and a girl.. We're now having a boy and I didn't save anything. We buy only when we see a great sale or clearance. If you know your having a shower.. I wouldn't buy much now. At my shower with my daughter, I got everything I needed, plus some.
  • Options
    dont spend money until after your shower, you never know what youre going to get
  • Options
    Crib, clothes, diapers