2nd Trimester
Options

At home doppler

I'm 17 wks and 5 days we just got an at home Doppler. On Wednesday and Thursday we were able to find the baby's heartbeat pretty quickly. It was a strong 150. We tried again last night but had a hard time. Is it normal to find it one day but not the next? Should we be worried?

Re: At home doppler

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I have one too and haven't used it since I've started feeling movements but after an early loss it made me feel better if I started to worry. I did read that you aren't supposed to use them for more than 10 minutes at a time and to not use them frequently. I made a limit on it for myself of 5 min max and once I found it after about 15 seconds I just turned it off and not more than twice a week.

It was very helpful for me, but if I couldn't find it I would just try again in 3 days. If it makes you more worried to not have found it I'd rethink it or try to reframe your thinking for the reasons that people listed above.

*Kate*

February 2016

• Options
    I'm 24 weeks and still not able to find it 100% every time I try, but I know the baby is ok. At 17 weeks it took a lot of patience to find it, and if I couldn't find it very quickly I would just put it away and wait a few days to try again!
  • Options
    I love my home doppler and think they are great. 

I haven't been able to find my baby's heartbeat a few times. Often if I'm full, bloated, backed up, have had too many liquids etc, I can't find it. I have best success in the morning after I've gone to the washroom and haven't eaten anything. The baby moves as well so don't try to use 'where you found it last time' as a starting gauge for where to look. Always start low, above the pelvic bone and do the same search each time.

If you get it, you need to know and accept that not finding the hb from time to time is totally normal. You also need to know that if you're experiencing symptoms that would normally MAKE you call your doctor (cramping, decreased movement in the third trimester etc) that finding the heartbeat on your doppler should NOT replace that visit to your doctor. Dopplers are for fun only and it's always a bonus if you manage to find the hb. 

Have fun and relax!
  • Options
    At this stage (26wk), when I try to find baby's heartbeat (only try if he hasn't moved much/at all for like a whole day), 4 out of 5 times I can barely make it out, BUT he kicks the heck out of the wand. Lol
  • Options
    generally babies will always move away from the sound of the dopplars. I have one, and my son always moves away from it within about 5 seconds of when I find the heartbeat. As others have pointed out this is the unfortunate danger of at home dopplars, sometimes the baby is in a bad position or the placenta is in the way or any other number of things which causes unnecessary worry.
  • Options
    I'm 17 wks and 5 days we just got an at home Doppler. On Wednesday and Thursday we were able to find the baby's heartbeat pretty quickly. It was a strong 150. We tried again last night but had a hard time. Is it normal to find it one day but not the next? Should we be worried?
    Normal.
    They move.
    Happened to me.
    Took me 3 hours and 6 tries.
    I freaked out.
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• Options
    They move around. Also if you've eaten or are constipated it's hard/impossible to find. Give yourself five min to find it each time you try and, if you can't, accept that everything is fine but that the baby is hiding today. Also always start looking low and across your whole abdomen as opposed to just where you remember finding it last.
  • Options
    I have a home doppler and it's the best 40$ I've ever spent. I'm horrible at finding the heartbeat but my husband can find him everytime. Just be patient.