Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

unwanted behavior and what to do

Hello! I'm not sure how to go about handling some of my son's behaviors and was hoping for some advice.
The 2 main things are hitting things (usually the closest object to him) when he doesn't get his way or is told no and being rude/yelling at Dada or I. He's almost 3 and I really don't know what's the best way to handle this. Time outs don't work too well on him and yelling at him doesn't work either (SO and I usually don't yell but hey no one's perfect! Lol). Do I just ignore the hitting and don't give him a reaction? Should I just keep calmly stating that we don't talk to mama or Dada like that, that it's not nice? I'm honestly not sure. SO and I hardly yell and never talk to each other rudely so I'm not even sure where he picked that habit up from. Thanks for any advice!

Re: unwanted behavior and what to do

• Options
    He's a toddler :-)... it's normal behavior. You just have to get really consistent with the discipline. When my daughter gets frustrated and hits things, it's an automatic time for two minutes. Sometimes she is in time out over and over again for the same offenses. Depending on the "crime", I give a warning (we do two warnings), redirection, taking toys/games away and then lastly time out. 
  • Options
    He's a toddler :-)... it's normal behavior. You just have to get really consistent with the discipline. When my daughter gets frustrated and hits things, it's an automatic time for two minutes. Sometimes she is in time out over and over again for the same offenses. Depending on the "crime", I give a warning (we do two warnings), redirection, taking toys/games away and then lastly time out. 

All of this.

You have to be consistent or it will not work. When he hits, very calmly, without raising your voice say "we don't hit, that's not nice" and carry him to time out. He's 3 so make him stay for 3 minutes. Yelling or getting angry gives him attention for the behavior so try not to make a deal about it.

You will probably be putting him in time out a lot, but that's how they learn. We started time out's for hitting when my son was 17 months old and now at 3.5 years old, he NEVER hits. He throws tantrums and acts out which is totally normal but he doesn't hit. He has learned.