Trouble TTC
Options

BV/ Gardnarella and fertility

I had a swab last week to rule out any possible infections, and both I and my RE were somewhat surprised when it came back positive for BV/Gardnarella. I had no real symptoms, but I do have a history of asymptomatic BV- I've been treated for it 2-3 times over the last 10 years. The dr typically finds it during my annual exam.

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this and if you know if it is a contributing factor to infertility? We're 17 months ttc, and on IUI #3, hoping the little extra push is all the swimmers need! I'm on meds to treat the BV now, but I'm wondering if I should be getting my hopes up or not!

Re: BV/ Gardnarella and fertility

• Options
    Hmm I don't know but somehow I doubt it.  Gardnerella is really common and I think we would have heard about its effects on fertility if that was the case.   I guess anything that might alter the pH of CM would not be helpful with fertility though, but I'm thinking not to the point of infertility.   But getting rid of infection of any kind has got to be a good thing.

Married for 7 years, TTC for 4 years
    dx:  Diminished Ovarian Reserve
    2 Clomid IUI's + 4 injectable IUI's= 5 BFNs and 1 mc

• Options
    From what I've read, it tends to correspond with a slightly higher probability of miscarriage, if you are pregnant, but it doesn't have much impact on getting pregnant.  It can also correspond with slightly increased chances of premature birth, if you're third trimester.  It's good to treat it now.

I had asymptomatic BV when I started TTC, so we treated it.  I've been taking probiotics to help prevent it (they *might* help prevent it, depending on the study you read, but they don't hurt). 
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)