Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Spoiled newborn?

Okay, I was a firm believer in newborns cannot be spoiled but my 3 week old little princess is having some issues. She constantly wants to be held and not just sitting on the couch holding her, up walking around holding her until she falls asleep and then she doesn't want to sleep in the bassinet she wants to sleep on me. I am not sure if this is learned behavior or if she simply wants to be close to me? What should I do? I love her and want to cuddle as much as possible but I do have things around the house I need to do and it's impossible if she's so attached to me.

Re: Spoiled newborn?

• She's probably needing the closeness. Try swaddling her tight and laying her down with you next to her. I just had to do this with my 2 week old. He's fighting sleep unless he's tight against us or swaddled. You could also try a ring sling or carrier and do housework that way
  • hbrooks09 said:
    Okay, I was a firm believer in newborns cannot be spoiled but my 3 week old little princess is having some issues. She constantly wants to be held and not just sitting on the couch holding her, up walking around holding her until she falls asleep and then she doesn't want to sleep in the bassinet she wants to sleep on me. I am not sure if this is learned behavior or if she simply wants to be close to me? What should I do? I love her and want to cuddle as much as possible but I do have things around the house I need to do and it's impossible if she's so attached to me.

Swaddling is a good idea if you aren't already but also a lot of newborns need movement to sleep well. While you were pregnant she would sleep during the day, when you're moving about constantly. Try a swing or rock n play.
  • Loading the player...
  • The baby is not spoiled. Babies that young need a lot of cuddle time. I use the baby ktan carrier and love it! I do most of my housework with him in it as content as can be.
  • Yup all normal! My ped said can't spoil them right now, and no crying it out until at least four months. I got a swaddle me and that did wonders! Also a good baby carrier in case you actually ever want to get anything accomplished haha.
  • Swaddle, swing or carrier!
  • The baby is not spoiled. Babies that young need a lot of cuddle time. I use the baby ktan carrier and love it! I do most of my housework with him in it as content as can be.

This. You CANNOT spoil a baby.

Read through the other posts on this board. Almost every mom is complaining about not being able to put baby down. This is all normal. They need movement to sleep so try babywearing or a swing. Good luck.

• In my very short experience with my almost 4 week old, the "spoiling" makes them feel comfort and helps ease their tiredness/gas issues if they are experiencing this. Also it helps lull them back to sleep. If that's considered spoiling, oh well I'm all for it.
    I've heard both sides, don't spoil them and you can't spoil an infant you spoil toddlers.
    Whatever helps makes your baby feel comfort and warmth and eases your sanity, do it. The chores will get done by you when you can get your routine down or by someone else. Delivery food makes for a clean kitchen
  • My guy is the same way and I love it. If I need to do things around the house I just put him in a wrap. That way he is tight and close to me
  • Thanks everyone for the replies! The pediatrician diagnosed her with reflux and put her on Zantac. I can already tell a difference!
  • No such thing as spoiling a newborn. Some babies just need more cuddles than others. Especially at that young age. I thought the same with my son, but now at 11 weeks he's almost too independent. Sometimes he'll only stop fussing if I lay him on the floor or in his crib alone. :(
  • That being said, my son also had reflux, once we fixed that he stopped being so needy as well.