Hawaii Babies
Options

Moving to Honolulu (Possibly)

Hi mamas! I'm due in May. SO and I just moved to Denver so he could open a new restaurant but today they asked him if he would relocate to Honolulu. Naturally it sounds like a dream but I am freaking out! Can any mamas in Hawaii tell me what the cost of living is like, healthcare, crime rates, recreational activities, etc. Any help would be appreciated!

Re: Moving to Honolulu (Possibly)

• Options
    Cost of living is insanely high in Hawaii, the price of living in paradise. Childcare can range from $500-$1,000 depending on what you are looking for; uncertified grandma babysitting from her house vs. licensed private care with qualifications.

We have great hospitals here, with top notch doctors and facilities. Sounds like you are non-military (civilian), therefore the two main hospitals you would want to consider would be Queens and Kapiolani. I've given birth in both, I prefer Kapiolani because they have better food. :smiley:

Crime rates are dependent upon which area you live in, areas closer to town (Honolulu) have higher numbers due to homeless, drug addicts, and increase in population.

As for recreational activities, we have it all. Great weather provides you the opportunity to hike, bike, surf, walk, etc. any time of the year. We have a decent arts scene, great bars and restaurants, and many museums and gardens.

Any other questions, feel free to ask. FYI, I'm local. Born and raised and lived here my entire life, family traces back to pre WWII days.