Multiples
Options

Bed Rest

I am a FTM-to-be of twin boys. I went into preterm labor at 30 weeks and have been on bedress since - I am now 34 weeks. I know that many people are on bedrest for much longer but I just don't think I can do it. I am used to being active and doing things for myself. Being by myself all day is getting really hard to take. I know i am doing what is best for my boys and I want them to stay in and cook longer. Does anyone have any words of encouragement or ways to stay busy without being active?

Re: Bed Rest

• Options
    Are you crafty at all? I know some people who taught themselves to crochet through YouTube! I'm a crocheter myself, and although I'm not on bed rest I'm not working at the moment so it's a good time to get my baby blankets done!

Some other ideas I've seen are colouring (those adult colouring books), researching pediatricians or baby products, reading up on child care/twin care, Netflix, or reading trashy novels!
  • Options
    Further to the crafty stuff cross stitch is also really cool. You can get some great designs on Etsy and make some things for the nursery, blankets or pillows. I find it both mentally stimulating if you try a hard one or quite zen if you're doing filling colours and the like.

I'm still early in my twin pregnancy so I'm sorry I can't offer any experiences. I will say that when frustrated I find learning something new helpful like a new skill or finding something of interest to learn about. Audible have some great lecture series which are aimed at the general public and cover all sorts of areas. Also reading inspiring stories of overcoming trials (fiction or non-fiction) helpful and great for escapism.
    Good luck x
    Expecting Double Trouble, April 2016

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I too was on bedrest, with twin boys. Mine went from when I went into preterm labor at 31 weeks, until my water broke at 36 weeks. My doctor had JUST released me from bedrest the night before. She said that because 36 weeks is considered full term with twins I could get out of bed. I had one glorious evening of unloading the dishwasher, and doing laundry and then they were born :)
    So, you *might* only have a couple more weeks left.
    I KNOW how hard bed rest is. In theory it sounds like it would be wonderful, but it's actually pretty miserable. One thing that got me through was learning how to knit. A friend taught me the basics, and then the rest I just figured out from you-tube. It was this time of year too, so everyone on my holiday gift list got scarves! I got so that I could knit while I binged watched shows on Netflix.
    It was a small thing, but it made me feel like I was still being productive. Producing something, even if it was just a craft gave me a sense of accomplishment. It really helped me to get through.
    Maybe you're not a crafty person... but are you a scholar? Would you be interested in a research project? Could you make photo albums, or write a blog, or even a book? Producing something tangible can really help a lot.
    Hang in there, I've been there... you can do it!
    Married 07.07.07. Mom to 3: Ruby 11/08 and Oliver & Austin 12/11
  • Options
    I totally get it! I've been on bedrest for abt 4 wks now and am currently 32+1. My doctor told me every day these babies stay inside is two less days in the nicu. I keep a running tally of how many days I've "saved" them from as a reminder of how far I've come. I also make mini milestones...something to mark each week (or even day!!) and give me something to look forward to. Today, my milestone is the fact that November is halfway over. I read, watch Netflix, shop online, and make lists of things that I can recruit ppl to do to help make sure I'm as ready as possible for these girls. I wish I accomplished more by 28w, but nothing I can do about that now.

You are at 34w now? That is awesome!!!! You're in the home stretch. I know it sucks--trust me, I usually cry at least once a day-- but this too shall pass! We can do it. Hang in there! You're not alone.