Babies: 0 - 3 Months

External version

Hi mommas! I am currently 31 weeks with my 4th baby and this stubborn little girl has been breech my entire pregnancy. I am still holding out for hope that she gets in gear and flip flops before she decides to make her grand entrance. But, if she doesn't my OB has indicated that I would be a candidate for an EV. I am just looking for experiences and outcomes of any mommas that have been through this. Thanks!

Re: External version

• Hi and congrats!!

I had the same situation, breech baby throughout pregnancy and tried all manner of things to turn him including laying upside down three times a day which didn't work lol. My OB planned an external version when I was 37 weeks, apparently that's the best time because there is enough space to potentially move baby but you still close enough to term if God forbid something happens during the version and you have to deliver then.

So... not gonna sugar coat it, it was horribly painful. But very quick. They tried three times for about 3-5 minutes each time with a break in between but my little man wouldn't budge :( they give you a med to relax your uterus muscles but nothing for the pain. Since there's a risk of cord prolapse if you go into labor with a breech baby, my doc wanted to avoid me going into labor so we scheduled a c section at 39 weeks. Definitely not what I had planned but it was faster than I thought, recovery wasn't that bad, and my little man was safely delivered and that mattered most.

My doc said she had a 60% success rate but talking to a friend later who's an L&D nurse, she said they almost never work. I think I'm glad I tried the version, I needed to know I tried everything to avoid a c section. There are risks such as placental abruption and tearing of the umbilical cord but they are very low risk if I remember correctly.

Hope this gives you some insight, and you still have a few weeks where the baby could turn on her own! Good luck with everything :)
  • You can also check out videos on youtube. My DS was frank breech, so I was offerred an ECV. After doing some research and then watching 3-4 videos, I decided against it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you both. I've watched a couple of youtube videos and it looks terribly painful. That was what lead me to seek out mamas that have experienced it for input. :)