High-Risk Pregnancy

Incompetent Cervix, +FFN (sorry so long)

Hi ladies! Just looking for a little feedback on your own experiences, or of those you may know. I'm 24w5d with 3rd pregnancy (2 prior m/c; 13w & 16w). Due to an IC, I had Cerclage done at 14w. 4w later cervix was .78cm so I went back in for a second Cerclage (this time 2 additional stitches). Cervix showed little improvement but has gradually thinned. Last appt with high risk showed 10mm & fetal fibronectin was positive. I was hospitalized at 24w to receive magnesium & steroids in the event of preterm labor, all part of our aggressive plan. While in the hospital, I had minor contractions so I was put on procardia 10mg every 4h. We've toured the NICU & I've been on complete bed rest. I know that no one can say when I'll go into labor, but I just want to be better prepared. Everyone with experience says they don't expect us to carry past Christmas (32w) & I'm with them. Any feedback with any of the aforementioned? Oh, MFM Said 25% chance delivery by 28w.

Re: Incompetent Cervix, +FFN (sorry so long)

• If you don't find any help here, try Keep ' Em Cookin. I found a ton of info on pre-term labor when my cervix started shortening and I started researching it. Also try the March of Dimes.
  • Thanks. Did you deliver early?
  • Loading the player...
  • A little bit, 37 w. 6 d. I didn't have a cerclage, though. I was just on progesterone until 35 weeks and bed rest.
  • I have two charts to share with you that I hope bring you some peace and some information! It really sounds like your care team is doing everything they can, try to stay hydrated and calm (not the easiest part). You have already passed a huge milestone and there are many more coming up to set your sights on! Hang in there and good luck. I am on bed rest with a short cervix and I am 27w6d-- my doctor didn't think I would make 24 weeks! A competent team and a determined momma can accomplish a lot!
  • In the midst of my experience now, so all I can offer is positive thoughts! Best wishes to you.
    S & A married 8.12.2013
    Expecting Saulie O 2.12.2016
  • What I've learned going through this for the first time is they really don't know for sure when you'll deliver with a short cervix or if you'll be pre-term at all. All they will say is that you're at an increased risk for preterm labor. I was diagnosed at 21 weeks with short cervix and started being closely monitored weekly and given progesterone and told to take it easy. At the time the ultrasound tech gave me a huge scare saying that we really needed to "try to make it a few more weeks". I eventually got steroid shots at week 28 when my cervix was down to 8 mm. My cervix has continued to shorten despite not having contractions but I'm still hanging in there at 33 weeks today. Doctor said I could go full term, but us tech predicts I won't go past 36 weeks. We'll see...
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • you can do it! just rest, dont watch romantic things if you can help it -it relaxes the cervix further- and get prunes so youre not pushing to go to the bathroom. im at 24 weeks on bedrest hoping i can make it to 28 weeks. id be happy with anything past 28 weeks. I mean, its a risk, even people who deliver full term have issues sometimes... cerclage was in at 19 weeks, my cervix is measured twice weekly and it fluctuates based on my bowel movements between .78 to 1.9cm. 
  • Hey. I know it is scary to be where you're at. All of my babies were early. We can chat about it if you'd like. My first was 27 weeks due to pprom and undiagnosed IC. My second, I opted out of the cerclage (because of the cervical damage it does) and instead spent my pregnancy being monitored. When I started funneling, they put me on hospital bedrest a couple days with magnesium and the steroids; and then was put on terbutaline for ctx at home and spent the next 5 weeks on bed rest there. Delivered at 33 weeks. With my last one, I opted for the cerclage. And managed to deliver at 37 weeks.
  • Thanks ladies! I was actually admitted on Sunday after thinking I lost my mucus plug. I had an extreme change in discharge consistency. Come to find out, once at hospital, they discovered that my water bag is in vagina and water has broken. Needless to say, I won't be going home before baby is here. I'm getting u/s everyday, amniotic fluid still looks good. It's actually increased since here. At this point, we take every day we can get. I'm still on procardia, makena, and brethine as needed for ctx (which has been daily).
  • PaniaOPaniaO member
    edited November 2015
    Anaelsea said:

you can do it! just rest, dont watch romantic things if you can help it -it relaxes the cervix further- and get prunes so youre not pushing to go to the bathroom. im at 24 weeks on bedrest hoping i can make it to 28 weeks. id be happy with anything past 28 weeks. I mean, its a risk, even people who deliver full term have issues sometimes... cerclage was in at 19 weeks, my cervix is measured twice weekly and it fluctuates based on my bowel movements between .78 to 1.9cm. 

@Anaelsea wait, what? Can you share more information about your experience? My perinatologist and PTL-prevention nurses never mentioned anything about BMs... But I definitely find myself avoiding pushing ever. Is overeating bad, too? And why is your cervix shortening even with a cerclage (if your doctor has given an explanation)? My doctor seems to think I'll go full term and I didn't get my cerclage until I was down to 8mm at 23 weeks... I'm curious about why there are variations in effectiveness of the cerclage... I can't seem to figure this stuff out.

Edit because autocorrect fail.
    S & A married 8.12.2013
  • tbyrd726 said:

Thanks ladies! I was actually admitted on Sunday after thinking I lost my mucus plug. I had an extreme change in discharge consistency. Come to find out, once at hospital, they discovered that my water bag is in vagina and water has broken. Needless to say, I won't be going home before baby is here. I'm getting u/s everyday, amniotic fluid still looks good. It's actually increased since here. At this point, we take every day we can get. I'm still on procardia, makena, and brethine as needed for ctx (which has been daily).

I'm glad to hear you're getting good treatment and things are still holding out... Thinking positive thoughts for you and the baby! I asked a poster above, but I'm also wondering, for your situation, what your MFM has hypothesized about why a cerclage isn't working for you. Best to you!
    S & A married 8.12.2013
  • My cervix was 3mm at 23 weeks. Doctor could see membrane with an internal check. Too late for a cerclage. I was on bed rest and progesterone. DD arrived at 30+4 weeks after my placenta became infected somehow. 6 weeks in the NICU. She's a healthy, active 3 year old now.
  • I actually got 2 cerclages (3 stitches total). There is no rhyme or reason about the ineffectiveness of them. Just chalking it up to a very incompetent cervix. It's still very closed, but very short. If there were to be a subsequent pregnancy, the only likely option would be an abdominal cerclage.
  • tbyrd726 said:

I actually got 2 cerclages (3 stitches total). There is no rhyme or reason about the ineffectiveness of them. Just chalking it up to a very incompetent cervix. It's still very closed, but very short. If there were to be a subsequent pregnancy, the only likely option would be an abdominal cerclage.

Aw that's hard. No wonder nobody has said why they sometimes work and sometimes don't--there's no apparent reason! FXed for you!
    S & A married 8.12.2013
  • AnaelseaAnaelsea member
    edited November 2015
    PaniaO said:
    you can do it! just rest, dont watch romantic things if you can help it -it relaxes the cervix further- and get prunes so youre not pushing to go to the bathroom. im at 24 weeks on bedrest hoping i can make it to 28 weeks. id be happy with anything past 28 weeks. I mean, its a risk, even people who deliver full term have issues sometimes... cerclage was in at 19 weeks, my cervix is measured twice weekly and it fluctuates based on my bowel movements between .78 to 1.9cm. 
    @Anaelsea wait, what? Can you share more information about your experience? My perinatologist and PTL-prevention nurses never mentioned anything about BMs... But I definitely find myself avoiding pushing ever. Is overeating bad, too? And why is your cervix shortening even with a cerclage (if your doctor has given an explanation)? My doctor seems to think I'll go full term and I didn't get my cerclage until I was down to 8mm at 23 weeks... I'm curious about why there are variations in effectiveness of the cerclage... I can't seem to figure this stuff out. Edit because autocorrect fail.

@PaniaO Sorry I didnt see this until now, I have a septate uterus so one side is trying to stretch to fit the baby which puts alot more pressure on all sides of the uterus including the cervix etc, but yes the cerclage didnt hold, cant imagine what my cervix looks like having been moved through with the metal wire. i dont see overeating being bad, but me pushing or being constipated is not good at all, so no pushing ever of course.
  • Anaelsea said:

PaniaO said:

Anaelsea said:

you can do it! just rest, ...it fluctuates based on my bowel movements between .78 to 1.9cm. 

@Anaelsea wait, what? Can you share more information about your experience? ....... My doctor seems to think I'll go full term and I didn't get my cerclage until I was down to 8mm at 23 weeks... I'm curious about why there are variations in effectiveness of the cerclage... I can't seem to figure this stuff out.

Edit because autocorrect fail.

@PaniaO Sorry I didnt see this until now, I have a septate uterus so one side is trying to stretch to fit the baby which puts alot more pressure on all sides of the uterus including the cervix etc, but yes the cerclage didnt hold, cant imagine what my cervix looks like having been moved through with the metal wire. i dont see overeating being bad, but me pushing or being constipated is not good at all, so no pushing ever of course.

Wow, it sounds like your cervix is very sensitive to pressure! I'm thankful that mine has stayed at 2.8 every week since I had the cerclage placed at 23 weeks (5 weeks ago).
    S & A married 8.12.2013