Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Cribs - asking 2nd(+) time moms

Would you recommend getting a normal crib or a 4-in-1 or 3-in-1 crib that converts into a toddler bed?
I want furniture that is functional long-term and would love to hear from 2nd(+) time moms whether you actually end up using them that long. I imagine some moms don't actually use it that long because some parts get discontinued etc? As an example, the ones I find appealing are:

Normal crib: Stokke Sleepi for - it seems functional that breaks down into chairs later on, 
4-in-1: Fisher-Price® Mia 4-in-1 Convertible Crib in Sugar Cookie - functional longer term since it turns into a children's bed.

Re: Cribs - asking 2nd(+) time moms

• Options
    We bought our son a really nice 4-in-1 crib the first time around and did convert it into a toddler bed, then a full size bed. It's beautiful and matches the rest of his furniture. HOWEVER, we ended up having to have several pieces of the crib refinished because he was a gnawer. We got some covers for it eventually, but they didn't' help with the denting when he was full on in teething mode. This does totally depend on the kid, and if you do decide to go convertible, I'd recommend putting the covers on in advance of teething.

This time around we're getting a super cheap crib and replacing with a nicer set when he's a bit older.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    We have a crib that converts into a toddler bed and then a daybed. All that means is that the front rail comes off and you can put a toddler rail on it and then take the toddler rail off it. DD turned 2 in September and we have her still in it with the toddler rail on front. LO will be using it as a crib, so we will be moving DD into a bigger bed when he needs the crib. He's due in late December, and probably will be in our room for at least 3 months, so we've still got another 5-ish months to get her transitioned over to the big bed, and possibly a different room. I like that the crib converts because we aren't buying another bed for her, either twin or toddler bed. DH and I have our individual Queen beds that we had before we were married (his in the guest room and mine is in DDs room), so we don't need to buy a different bed. She will be in one of those.

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We have the $100 crib from burlington. I'd do this again. Teething does ruin them!
  • Options
    We ended up getting a crib that cost $100 at Ikea, it does turn into a toddler bed.

We went back and forth on a 4-in-1 and decided that just getting a simple crib will allow us more flexibility in the long run and I'm glad we opted for that.

Now that we are expecting DD3, we are planning on re-using the crib from DD2 and moving her into a twin bed that can convert into bunk beds (also from Ikea) as we've decided the 2 younger girls will share a room.
  • Options
    I bought a used Stokke Sleepi and my daughter used it through toddler bed age but it wasn't economical to use it as a junior bed.

It still looks brand new and is sturdy enough that I could easily hop in and cuddle with her. Ready to use in the smallest size for the baby this spring.
  • Options
    We do have a 4-1 crib which is still a crib right now. Our kids were so close together, that we just bought a cheap toddler bed for my son ( which we're about to give to our two year old) and then we are just now looking into possibly converting the crib into a full size bed.
    We are still looking into doing this as the conversion kit is pretty expensive (around 200) but if we can do it with an adjustable bed frame for cheaper, then it's worth it. Just depends if you want their furniture to match or if you want to buy different furniture down the road. 
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I have 3 living children's an I definitely would buy a 3 or 4 in 1 crib. My kids always sleep in their own beds and once they were big enough we made them toddler beds/daybeds and then at 4 or 5 bought metal rails from a local furniture store and converted them to full size beds. Yes they have a few teeth marks in them but that adds character to me and is a great reminder to my kids as they get older what they did as babies.  I think they are a great investment and you can find them for just a couple hundred dollars now. It doesn't have to cost $1000.
  • Options
    We got the $100 crib at baby depot. Best choice ever. It works great. It's gnawed up. Will be donated or trashed when grows out. Getting new baby a cheapie too. They'll be in them at the same time. 
  • Options
    Both of my kids have 4 in 1 beds and we're going to do the same for this baby.  DD wasn't a big gnawer so hers still looks great. DS has done some damage to his, but only on the front crib panel, but his bed converts without having a footboard so it doesn't matter anyway.

• Options
    I'm team buy a cheap crib and cheap dresser that I pass down.  My first 2 are 17 months apart.  I have 2 cribs.  I personally don't like toddler beds.  I feel like it's an unnecessary transition.  When I move my kids to big bed, that's when I buy them nice furniture.  

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Options
    abloom6510abloom6510 member
    edited July 2016
    we got a $100 ikea crib. It has held up well so far (DD is 7.5 months old). we got a hand-me-down crib with the first and used it as a crib and a toddler bed  for a few months until he got used to staying in the bed without something that physically kept him in, then moved him to a "big kid bed". we plan to do the same again...