Natural Birth
Options

Hypnobirthing Relaxation CD?

I was just wondering what other resources are out there for hypnobirthing CD's?  I've been listening to the birthing affirmations and the Rainbow Relaxation by Marie Mongan.  I feel the affirmations really help and I love the first half of the Rainbow Relaxation...the part with the guided relaxation, where she is reminding me of each little thing I need to relax (eye lids, jaw, legs, etc.).  It really helps!  But I am just struggling visualizing this rainbow mist stuff!  I feel like for the most part I'm just saying "It's supposed to be blue.  Blue.  Think blue.  Blue. Blue!" and not really even able to listen to the other great stuff she's saying!  How important is it to visualize the colors?  Can I just ignore that completely and just listen to what she's saying?  Also, are there any suggestions of other guided visualizations I can listen to?  I love the idea of listening and relaxing to something like this, just the rainbow one is not working for me.  I've had a hard time finding much else online and I would like to hear a sample to know if it's something I would even like before I buy it, you know?  TIA for any suggestions!

Re: Hypnobirthing Relaxation CD?

• Options
    You don't have to visualize colors. Just figure out what helps you relax and practice, practice, practice. For me it was using my breath to help me relax from head to toe. I started with the top of my head and made sure that was relaxed and moved on all the way down to my toes. Most of the time I don't think I made it past my chest, I just fell asleep. An important thing is to have your jaw relaxed. 

Also, if this is your first, you are still going to have to push. The relaxation will get you through labor, but when it comes time to push, the whole breathing down thing will not happen. But practicing the relaxation is totally worth it to get you to that point. I had a two hour ride to the hospital, having hit transition while still at home (I hadn't really thought I was in labor until then) and I was falling asleep between contractions. So it really, really helped. I also never had the CD playing while I was in labor. I had just practiced enough I could do it.
  • Options

You don't have to visualize colors. Just figure out what helps you relax and practice, practice, practice. For me it was using my breath to help me relax from head to toe. I started with the top of my head and made sure that was relaxed and moved on all the way down to my toes. Most of the time I don't think I made it past my chest, I just fell asleep. An important thing is to have your jaw relaxed. 

Also, if this is your first, you are still going to have to push. The relaxation will get you through labor, but when it comes time to push, the whole breathing down thing will not happen. But practicing the relaxation is totally worth it to get you to that point. I had a two hour ride to the hospital, having hit transition while still at home (I hadn't really thought I was in labor until then) and I was falling asleep between contractions. So it really, really helped. I also never had the CD playing while I was in labor. I had just practiced enough I could do it.

Awesome, thanks!!  Was that your first?  I'm glad to know it helped so much!!!  This will be my 4th, but my first time trying to go without an epidural!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I never visualized the colors, we didn't practice the scripts, and I didn't listen to the CD during my labor. I did, however, remind myself constantly that the calmer I stayed, the faster my labor would progress. I focused on one type of breath - bee breathing - throughout my labor, and really just turned inward and let my body do it's thing. Find what works for you - what you connect with - and you'll do great. :) 
  • Options
    The only one I can listen to is Gabrielle Targett. I'm just so picky about people's voices or the music in the background that I found I was too busy focusing on how annoyed I was with any others. The one that involves the most visualization is called "Peace at Birth" and it's my favorite. 
  • Options
    Hi!  A couple of things, first Hypnobirthing is not meant to be a self-study course.  The information is considered incomplete if you only read the book and listen to the CD.  There is a similar approach called Hypnobabies which can be done at home if you buy the program.  

The most important thing is to practice going into a deep state of relaxation.  So if something is distracting or isn't working for you ignore it.  Take what works and leave the rest.  I loved RR for practicing and it was a huge help to me, in terms of teaching me to get to that state.  However, when I went into labor I found the talking to be too distracting, so instead I listened to Comfort Zone which is the music without any talking.  Might be something to look into.  The music itself is recorded in a hypnotic rhythm.  

And I agree with pp about the birth breathing.  I found I either had to all our push or just relax during contractions.  I 'labored down' for 1.5+ hours but when I decided I was ready to push I just went for it.  The important thing is to avoid that 'purple pushing' I pushed when and for how long my body told me to.  Nobody counted or told me when to push.  You shouldn't have any problem though since this isn't your first, my second and third came with almost no effort.