Military Families

Tricare & EAS question

Hi Ladies, My husband is supposed to EAS in June and go to inactive reserves.  Two days before his EAS our baby is due. I heard today Tricare ends the day of his EAS now?
We were under the impression we had Tricare three months after his EAS date. He is in the process of applying to police departments and has an interview so we are pretty
sure he will have a job lined up but just in case I am looking into the costs of extending tricare coverage in case the baby is late and for health care after the baby comes.
Does anyone know how much it costs? Also will the doctors induce me on the due date if requested or do they wait until a week after. Thanks.
Daisypath - nBGk

Lilypie - GQnA

Re: Tricare & EAS question

• You are covered by Tricare for 6 months after he gets out. It won't be Prime though. I don't remember what it is called. It is supposed to be transitional. I got out last October and my family was covered until April.
  • Loading the player...
  • @smokie1516 its called TAMP I looked into it and it says you are only eligible if the sponsor is involuntarily separating from the Military. Did you guys get out voluntarily or involuntarily? 
    Daisypath - nBGk

Lilypie - GQnA

• TAMPS covers you for 180 days regardless if you're involuntary or voluntarily discharged. I was on it when I got back from my deployment (I'm a Reservist, so no Tricare unless I want to pay for it. (I don't.))

Your spouse can also choose to stay with Tricare by enrolling with them somewhere around the end of your TAMPS period.

Just make sure that you tell your provider that TAMPS is NOT Tricare. They don't get billed the same so letting them know in advance will save everyone headaches.
  • My husband is EASing voluntarily so we are not covered by TAMPS and have to purchase continued healthcare benefit program. 
    Daisypath - nBGk

Lilypie - GQnA