C-sections

The epidural (confused)

I always thought that because of the local you get prior to the epidural eliminates the pain associated with epidural being adminstered. I was talking to someone yesterday who had an epidural a few weeks ago who said that the epidural still hurt a lot. Can someone please explain to me how an epidural works?

Re: The epidural (confused)

• It helps to dull the pain. For some people it eliminates it, but not all. My friend recently had a c section and said she just felt the local injection. I felt all my pokes. I wouldn't call it "pain" but it sure didn't tickle either. The local hurt more for me than the actual spinal. That's just my experience and I'm not sure that's the answer you're looking for, but I hope it helps :)
  • I didn't feel the epidural. It just felt cold when they put it in. I did feel the numbing meds prior. It was a few second burning sensation. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I felt the local, just like a shot. 
    When they put the actual epi in, I felt it, but it was more pressure until it hit the nerve. That was a jolt/shock.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• I didn't feel the epidural. It just felt cold when they put it in. I did feel the numbing meds prior. It was a few second burning sensation. 

I felt the local, just like a shot. 
    When they put the actual epi in, I felt it, but it was more pressure until it hit the nerve. That was a jolt/shock.
    Similar feelings here.  It hurts a bit, but goes away quick.  Then you don't feel a thing for hours.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was having major contractions at the time the epidural was given to me. Four years ago. But now all I remember is my left leg kicking up and If I'm correct feeling something cool.
    When shots are given to me it helps to breath out through your mouth.
    Hope this somewhat helps.
  • The local hurt, the actual catheter going in did not. It felt sort of like when you bump your funny bone but in your back.

They put a needle in that's covered by a flexible piece which is the catheter in your spinal area (idk the specific placement back there). The needle is removed & the catheter stays in place. It's just like having an IV in your arm.