Natural Birth

Posterior position

Hi ladies.  I am 37 weeks with my 3rd daughter and planning my first med free birth after two very quick, easy epidural births.  My 2nd daughter was posterior and wouldn't descend properly and the OB had to manually turn her.  I was still able to push her out in less than 20 minutes, but I had an epi.  This baby is head down and although I haven't confirmed it with my MW, I suspect she is also posterior because of hand movement near my pubic bone.  I am doing all of the spinning babies moves, hands and knees, knees to chest, exercise ball, walking/exercising daily and seeing a chiro.  So basically I am doing everything I can.  But my question to you all is, has anyone here delivered a posterior baby without meds?  The odds are in my favor even if she doesn't turn because I have had two prior vaginal deliveries (one even being posterior), but trying without meds with a sunny side baby is making me a bit nervous.  I have been SO positive about no meds up until now and I am trying hard not to psych myself out.  I know that actually her being posterior is even more of a reason to not use an epi so I can move around during labor, but I am worried.  Any positive stories, advice?

Re: Posterior position

• My mom has delivered a posterior baby naturally.  She said it was harder to do the pushing, but doable.
  • Hi there,
    My 4 week old baby boy was completely posterior. He was induced, but I didn't use any pain relief.

I'll never know if a spontaneous labour would have changed his position, but I wonder if the fact that a) labour was so fast b) it happened before he was ready and c) I had some continuous monitoring, limiting my movement (I was allowed to move around after a while) prevented him from getting into a better position.

Either way, I went from 3cm dilated to baby being born in 1 hr and 15 minutes. Prior to that I had around 2 hours of consistent contractions. I pushed him out in 15 - 20 minutes. It was intense, and I could feel him slipping back up between contractions, but completely manageable.

My mw never suggested any other interventions, or turning him or anything. It was all very straight forward.
    Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Loading the player...
  • edited October 2015
    I have delivered 2 babies that were sunny side up and even had pitocin with one. No pain meds with either. It can definitely be done. :)
  • My third son was posterior - he was LOA most of my pg, but somehow spun himself around to posterior at the end of labor. It was hard, but doable. The only part that was more difficult was pushing at the very end, but the fact that I had been induced and had been laboring thru the night probably had a lot to do with it as well. I think this post has some interesting thoughts on OP: https://midwifethinking.com/2010/08/13/in-celebration-of-the-op-baby/
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Have you considered having the Webster technique done by a chiropractor?   Its suppose to help get your pelvis aligned and loosen the ligaments so that your baby had the best chance at getting into a good position for delivery.

My midwife advised to do pelvic rocks (get on hands and knees and curl your back up and down like a cat), walk, and avoid all reclining positions.
  • Louddog said:

Have you considered having the Webster technique done by a chiropractor?   Its suppose to help get your pelvis aligned and loosen the ligaments so that your baby had the best chance at getting into a good position for delivery.

My midwife advised to do pelvic rocks (get on hands and knees and curl your back up and down like a cat), walk, and avoid all reclining positions.
    I saw a chiro weekly from 27 weeks on and did all of the spinning babies moves to get her to turn anterior. She was born on 11-11-15 sunny side up despite my efforts. I was able to have a med free birth but it hurt like hell! The strangest part is that I had zero back labor. Pushing her out sunny side up was so intense though. Luckily it only took 4 pushes but it was incredibly painful
  • Louddog said:

Have you considered having the Webster technique done by a chiropractor?   Its suppose to help get your pelvis aligned and loosen the ligaments so that your baby had the best chance at getting into a good position for delivery.

I saw a chiro weekly from 27 weeks on and did all of the spinning babies moves to get her to turn anterior. She was born on 11-11-15 sunny side up despite my efforts. I was able to have a med free birth but it hurt like hell! The strangest part is that I had zero back labor. Pushing her out sunny side up was so intense though. Luckily it only took 4 pushes but it was incredibly painful
    See! You totally could do it :smiley:
    I had a sunny side up baby with back labor and no pain meds. It took 3 hours of pushing to get her out. Hardest thing I've ever done in my life!

Me: 25 | DH: 25  
    DD: Aug. 15
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My best friend delivered her posterior baby naturally at home with a midwife. The labor lasted a while but she managed. :) You can do it!