Cloth Diapering

CD stash for 2 under 2

alsbaldwinalsbaldwin member
edited October 2015 in Cloth Diapering
Hi ladies! I tried to search for a similar topic and didn't find anything, so I'm sorry if this is a duplicate.

I have a 10 month old who wears BumGenius 4.0s. I have about 25-30 one size diapers and wash every other day (he's in disposables at night). DS will be 18 months when baby #2 comes along, and I'm wondering how much I should increase my diaper stash by. I hope to start potty training DS a little bit after baby #2 is born, so I don't want to double my stash if DS will be out of them soon... but I also don't want to be stuck without diapers. 

Any advice or experience would help! :)

Edited because words are hard.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP #1: 10/25/13. EDD: 06/18/14. Confirmed MC: 11/06/13.

BFP #2: 3/31/14. EDD: 12/2/14 Born: 12/9/14

BFP #3: 10/5/15 EDD: 6/10/16 Born: 6/13/16

BFP #4: 8/20/15 EDD: 4/26/18

Re: CD stash for 2 under 2

• Mine are not quite 16 months apart! We had 24 BG Freetimes and purchased a small, maybe 15, newborn stash that we used for about a month. While in newborn I washed every 1-2 days. When we switched our son to Freetimes I purchased maybe 6 more for a total of 30 and washed every other day. We have since switched to Flips. We currently have about 20 shells, 40 "overnights", and 10 "daytimes" and I wash every 3-4 days.
    Unless you have huge babies, most likely you will need newborns. My guy was 9lbs 5oz!! The good thing about newborn is that since they are barely used, they have pretty good resale!!
  • I've been thinking about the same as DS will be 19 months when #2 comes. I think two big questions are...

1. Do you want to wait until LO fits in one-size? If so, do your math. Your first will probably be 21 months by the time your second fits into them. Washing every other day do you go through all the diapers? If so, and if you want to keep washing every other day, you'll need to double your stash knowing it's temporary OR scrape by and wash every day until your oldest potty learns.

2. Do you want to CD your newborn? If so, you could get covers and prefolds pretty cheap and see how your first is doing with potty learning by the time LO outgrows newborn diapers. In this case you may end up spending more if you do NB and end up getting more one size (rather than washing more frequently for a bit) but, the initial investment is less and a bit more focused on "let's see what happens." As an estimation.... Green Mountain Diapers Cloth-Eez prefolds size small are $29/dozen. Depending on how big your baby is they may be bulky at first but you could get 3 dozen (or a couple dozen newborn prefolds and a couple dozen small, but it'll be a bit more money) and 10 covers (I love rumparooz nb for $10 each). That's $187 for a nb stash with great resale value after only one child use, and would likely keep you washing every other day for your youngest. You could even do flats instead which are even cheaper than prefolds. Either way, you want 36 changes at least in hopes of washing on the same schedule.

Obviously this has been on my mind! If you come up with an ideal plan please share I'd love to hear what you decide to do!
    Me 27 | DH 28
    DS October 2014
    #2 May 2016
  • Loading the player...
  • I think lionstigersbears has great point for you to ponder.
    I was/am in your situation. My kids are 20 months apart with my baby being only 5 months and my oldest is not ready to potty train yet. 

I love my 4.0s, but they are really not great for an infant, so you will need to decide how you want to diaper your baby. I personally hated all my newborn AIOs  and prefolds, and ended up using FSTs and covers.  My daughter was just under 8 pounds and fit the small Thirsties covers well starting about 2 weeks. I got a bunch of FSTs that I made little socks out of and 'stuffed' my newborn BG 4.0s inserts into the sock and they worked really really well until she fit into her AIOs and pockets. ** I bought my Thirsties covers for like $12.oo a piece, I had 6, could have survived with 4. FSTs are $1.00 each and I made 8 socks out of each one and probably had 40 'socks', and like you already had the newborn inserts for my 4.0s.** 

I would add, that 18 months is on the younger side to potty train though not impossible.  With the BG resale market being super low right now, I would recommend getting a few more diapers, or Flip covers. 30 diapers would barely get me through my 2 days at this point. 

Best of luck on the remainder of your pregnancy.