Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Best Burping Techniques?

I'm a FTM, my son will be 4 weeks on Sunday and he does NOT like to burp! I've tried every way I can think of, and nothing really works. It wasn't a problem until yesterday when he started getting extremely gassy. Gas drops and gripe water don't help. Bicycling his legs only helps a little bit. I'm at my wits end, I hate seeing my baby like this.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions?

Re: Best Burping Techniques?

• Options
    Hold hand across shoulders supporting head. Other hand under bum. Lift in the air straight up & down slowly & repeatedly. Then set on lap head still supported. Pat on back. Repeat as needed.

After a couple tries lay on lap a mi ute. Then try again.
  • Options
    My little one is hard to burp too. I find holding her in a seated position on my lap with one hand supporting her chest and chin while simultaneously alternating between firmly rubbing her back in a circular motion and firmly patting between her shoulder blades does the trick most times. Also, our pediatrician recommended gas drops containing simethicone before feedings to help prevent gas bubbles from forming.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    When our LO was that age we would also do the sitting position and tip him forward supporting his chin with one hand while patting his back with the other.. He'll be 3 months on Thursday and now he supports his own head, but we start him in the same sitting position tipped forward( and he will push himself up to standing while being burped)

The SO will sit him and almost have him folded(gently!) all the way forward and he usually burps for him before the patting starts!

You'll find your burping groove soon enough I'm sure ;;)
  • Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions! He's still difficult to burp but I'm hoping as he gets older it'll be easier!
  • Options
    I do over the shoulder, normally. Sometimes if he's being difficult, I'll put him on his side and pat, then put him up right and pat, then to the other side and pat, and repeat until I'm satisfied. And sometimes I'll lay him on his belly (he's learning to lift his head currently) And pat his back then, which often works really well too.