Nurseries and Baby Gear

convertible seat/ travel system / jeep vs. new car

hey guys, I know the convertible vs travel system question has been asked before and while i know a travel system has many benefits I haven't seen many people's opinion on the struggle to actually get the travel system in and out of the car..... I have a 4 door jeep wrangler. Jeep doors are smaller and don't open as wide as a typical car door unless you disconnect the anchor straps every time.
 a few days ago I went to the fair with a friend, we took my jeep and she brought her 7 month old and 3 year old along... the convertible seat was easy and getting the infant seat in at home wasn't so bad... twist it just the right way and it worked... but when we got to a crowded parking lot it got a little tricky... one time she ended up taking the baby out of the carrier, turning it sideways to get it in the jeep and then putting the baby back in it....
so DH and I are considering a convertible seat that doesn't have to be moved. if you chose to use a convertible seat from birth - what were your biggest struggles with taking a newborn out of the seat everywhere you went and would you do anything different? 
I'm 5'10'' and DH is over 6'2''. Even the jeep feels like a sardine can some days. so we are also considering getting a new SUV or a truck with bigger doors and back seat just for convenience. any suggestions???

Re: convertible seat/ travel system / jeep vs. new car

• orangecurlsorangecurls member
    edited October 2015
    If you go straight to a convertible make sure you get one that fits a newborn well. I like my Chicco Nextfit.
    https://csftl.org/choosing-a-convertible-car-seat-for-a-newborn/

For me the biggest benefit of the infant bucket car seat is to move a sleeping Baby without waking him up. Though I wear baby a lot, so when I have to remove my sleeping baby from his car seat, I put him right into the baby carrier and he'll usually fall back to sleep. A cozy stroller would probably do the same.

And my baby hates the car, so I always take him out of the seat. Get a good baby carrier:)