Parenting after 35

Weekly Check-in October 11

How was your week?

QOTW: what is your favorite date night (or day) activity?
Me-37, DH-38
Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

Re: Weekly Check-in October 11

• Wow, this week flew by. LO worked through whatever was going on a week ago and is back to his normal, happy self. He only woke once Friday night, which was fabulous!  He and I were on our own this weekend as DH was off on his father/son football trip. Had his 4 month appointment. He took his shots like a champ, and his weight is now in the 20th percentile, up from 10, which is encouraging. Also did some fun things, went for a hike and to an infant swim lesson, which was so fun! 

QOTW:  I've been "fantasizing" about a date with DH, I think I'm getting pretty desperate for some alone time. My parents are coming in about a month, and I can't wait!  Right now we're planning to take a day off to go rockclimbing, and might do a 5k together if nothing comes up. :)  We've never been huge on traditional movie/dinner dates (though we do sometimes, of course). I think my favorite date nights have been when we get an night pass at the water park during the summer. So fun!
    Me-37, DH-38

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• Baby is big enough dr says I don't have to set night alarms! Went 4.5 hours once dropping one night feed. Whew.
  • Loading the player...
  • I haven't posted in a number of weeks - my phone app won't let me respond and I still haven't been able to figure out why.  Anyway, I'm on the computer today and thought I'd check in on you ladies.  It's been a rough couple of weeks here still trying to get everyone adjusted to the new fall schedule.  My 2-yo started preschool 3 days a week and has had a bumpy ride.  For several weeks now, she hasn't been crying when I drop her off, but her sleep is still being affected (won't fall asleep on her own and wakes in the night - not typical for her) and she is have some separation anxiety with me and my DH at other times of the day as well.  It is also showing itself in major tantrums (Saturday she was inconsolable for 45 minutes until DH came home, flinging head on ground, whole works...).  We're trying to be patient and get her through this hump, but it's been trying, especially since her 5 mo little brother is going through some sleep regression as well.  Let's just say that there's not a lot of sleeping going on around here.  Sigh.  It'll pass.  I know.  

Generally speaking, October is a busy time of year for us - anniversary, DS1 bday and DH's bday (he's 40 this year and throwing a little party).  And this weekend we're having DS2 baptism/party with family and friends.  It'll be busy, but hopefully in a good way and not adding too much stress to the household.  I love getting people together, so I just need to not stress myself out about getting everything perfect.      

Perfect date night?  Um...what's a date night?  jk.  We actually like to go dancing.  Like ballroom dancing.  That's actually how we met.  I was taking classes and the school had a mixer for practicing dancing.  DH was a competitive dancer and asked me to dance.  I'm actually a terrible dancer, but it still worked out :)  We're trying to find something nearby to do together on a regular basis. 
    DS born 10/25/11 **  DD born 6/24/13 **  DS born 4/20/15
  • @mindaa ... swim lessons sound fun!  I want to get Chloe in once she gets a little older, especially since we have a pool.

@xuxachi ... sorry you are having all that going on.  Hope it gets better soon and you get some rest.

It feels so nice to check in!  We've been busy the past few weeks with my parents visiting and our trip to Disneyland.  It went better than I thought it would and Chloe was a champ during the drive.  She loved the light parade at Disney!

I am starting to freak out about child care.  I go back to work on November 5th, and we are still on the wait list at the church.  We have nothing else lined up.  :(  On Friday I am meeting with a colleague of mine who decided to take a year off to stay home with her kids.  She has been putting off substitute teaching this year because she just doesn't want to leave her girls.  I am hoping that she'll watch Chloe until we get more pernament child care lined up.  I figure it's a win-win ... Chloe is with someone I trust, and my friend makes some money and doesn't have to leave her kids.

Date night?  Hmm. I can't even remember, lol.  Fiance' and I used to go to happy hours and bars a lot.  Not so much now.  Even if we HAD a date night I doubt that would be on the agenda.  So who knows?  We're still trying to get this parenting thing straightened out, lol.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • mindaamindaa member
    edited October 2015
    @jerseygirl227We're going to AquaSafe, which offers free infant lessons up to 5 months (I think Hubbard does, too). After that, it gets a little pricey, so yeah, we'll probably wait until he's older too, or go through Parks and Rec in the spring. 
    Glad you had such a good trip to Disneyland with baby.  Child care is so stressful!  Hope it works out for your soon.

@xuxachi - hope things get better soon!  I'm SO not looking forward to the separation anxiety phase. So far, daycare drop off has been a breeze. 
    Me-37, DH-38