December 2014 Moms
Options

Nanny is moving - i'm devastated. any going away ideas?

teaismCAgalteaismCAgal member
edited October 2015 in December 2014 Moms
So our primary nanny "Jane" is moving to another state...I'm surprised at how sad I am. The move is great for her personally but I'm emotionally still reeling. I interviewed A LOT of people and most walked in the door and soon after would say -- "Will you pay for my transportation?" "I demand 10 days offs — paid." And so on. Among the first things Jane said to me was "How are YOU doing?" 

I struggled with breastfeeding and would constantly be apologetic when feeding LO formula — almost a knee-jerk reaction because of guilt and judgement. Jane never winced when I told her I use formula and one day when I was being particularly apologetic she calmly said, "Like many children of the 80s, I was a formula baby. He'll be fine." Those words meant more to me than she probably realizes (especially considering one nanny I interviewed yesterday looked me in disgust when I told her our LO drinks formula and said "How do you feel feeding your child THAT?")   

Most of the others met our big (but gentle) dog and said "Whoa! He's scary." Jane calmed him and embraced him. With our son, she was kind, gentle and nurturing but never tried to "play mama." She was always the loving auntie figure, always championing and supporting me — never competing. We found ourselves having lunch together like friends. When my husband and I were ready for our first date night, she was the only person I trusted to take care of our son at night (even though many others offered to do so). 

I'm guessing for her this was just a job, but for me, she was the constant support that helped us navigate the first 10 months of being parents. Ok, sentimental rant over. :) 

Any ideas on what I can do for her to let her know how awesome she was during such a crucial time in our family's life?

Re: Nanny is moving - i'm devastated. any going away ideas?