3rd Trimester
Options

Super hard uterus

groovylocksgroovylocks member
edited October 2015 in 3rd Trimester
So for about a week or two now, maybe a bit more, my stomach will go absolutely rock-solid for hours. Usually in the evening. Braxton Hicks aren't to blame I don't think. Those are contractions and imply that it will release eventually. Mine doesn't release. It's just hard forever, sometimes up to a day, before it softens up again. 

I found a few threads where women bring this up and the two or three responses it got are other women going "yeah wtf?" followed by the discussion being closed. 

I have no real pain (Other than last night where I had severe pain getting out of the car. Twice) It's uncomfortable but not painful. 

I read that this CAN, on very rare occasions, be a potential sign of a placental abruption. This is why I'm concerned. If it's normal, I'll sweat it out. 

Baby is moving as normal.

Re: Super hard uterus

• Options
    From my quick Dr. Google check of placental abruption and based on the symptoms that you gave, I don't think it's placental abruption. Have you asked your OB/midwife? It might sound silly to call him or her, but they are there to answer your questions. Good luck!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I'll likely call later this evening. I'm long distance so the on-call doc would have to call me long distance. I'm not sure what the etiquette is in a case like that. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am thin, so I can easily feel where my uterus is. I notice sometimes parts of my belly are rock hard, and it's usually opposite where I get kicks... So I think it might be where the head of my baby is.
    But I would still ask your Doctor!! Better safe than sorry!!
  • Options
    I wondered about this. My mother said I didn't start out with much on my belly so there is no cushion and the natural hardness is near the surface. That sounds suspect but maybe.

My friend who just gave birth in July, said the same thing happened to her and she swears up and down it's a type of Braxton Hicks. 

I'm calling the outpatient doc tonight just to be on the paranoid side.
  • Options
    Baby could have his/her back pushed up against your belly. Like you could be feeling their back, if that makes sense. That happened to me a few times with my last 2 pregnancies.
  • Options
    groovylocksgroovylocks member
    edited October 2015
    Doc says it's "normal" for the tummy to be hard and she doesn't feel concerned. She is only the on-call and not my regular physician but she DID ask when my next appt was (Wednesday) and seemed to think it was worth discussing in detail. 

But she said that lots of women get a hard tummy and not to worry. She actually thinks it's possible it's gas.