Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Tantrums?

Ok, I do not know if my baby is starting to throw tantrums or what. He will sometimes just freak out. I'm talking kicking, screaming, growling, pulling on his face and pulling his ears and the back of his head, and blowing snot everywhere. They last anywhere from 10-45 minutes and usually happen when he wakes up from his afternoon nap or if he wakes up in the middle of the night and I go in there. I know he is teething so I can't tell if it's teeth pain or if he is having a breakdown. I don't know what age tantrums start but I'm assuming it's not 6 months?Anyone else going through something similar? Or if anyone has any tips?

Re: Tantrums?

• I don't have any advice but I think my lo is starting to communicate he's mad too. He grunts and growls really loudly and stiffens and arches his back. At first I thought he was straining to go since we started him on solids. but now I've noticed he only does it when he's overtired or I'm not paying attention too him or something. I've been putting him in his crib with a light up music toy when he starts doing it a lot. I will pick him up and comfort him then when he starts up put him back down until he either nurses, goes to sleep or calms down. Sometimes it helps some times it doesn't. Good luck. Hoping some others moms have some advice!
  • I will have to try that. I don't want to ignore him, but I don't want him to get used to throwing a fit to get his way either.... Ahh.
  • Loading the player...
  • SMac2013 said:
    I will have to try that. I don't want to ignore him, but I don't want him to get used to throwing a fit to get his way either.... Ahh.

I can pretty much guarantee your 6 month old is not acting this way for attention so I wouldn't worry about creating bad habits. I'm sure he feels emotions and acts out sometimes because of that but this sounds like something else entirely. Possibly teething which is worse when they are laying down or sleeping. I'd give him something for the pain and see if that helps. Good luck. Poor babe.
  • my son has already been doing that for a couple months he is a little over 7 months old. He gets mad he will throw himself backwards on the floor if hes sitting up and start kicking the floor and hitting himself he will hit himself in the stomach and the head and will not quit he grunts and growls and he screams at you and I mean that literally. He does it when hes tired or hurting his bottom teeth have already broken through the skin. The only way I have found that works for his teeth is using the nuby teething rings or the nuk teething pacis.