1st Trimester
Options

Migraines!!

So I have had migraines for years. One so bad I had to go to the ER. I eventually figured out my triggers and found a good medication to take. Now I can't take that medication anymore and my migraines seem to come at unexpected times. I am just at the beginning of week 10 and I had a migraine that included a blind spot in the right eye and lots of pain (which isn't new for me) and brief numbness in my right arm and face (which is new for me). Has anyone ever had migraines with numbness before? What triggered yours and what did your doctor say?

Re: Migraines!!

• Options
    I have had migraines with this pregnancy. I am 4 weeks. Just found out Saturday. I started getting them on Sunday and had them ever since. Doctor prescribed me just Tylenol and it is helping a bit.
  • Options
    I had migraines prior to pregnancy too but chose not to take medication (I found they really did not work for me). What I have been doing is taking one Tylenol and then putting an ice pack on my head. You can also try drinking some caffeine (I find that Coke works well for me...my doctor says up to 200mg of caffeine a day is ok...I don't drink near that much). You can also try putting an ice pack on your neck and your feet in hot bath water. Sometimes just sleeping and waiting it out is all you can do too. Good luck, I know your pain! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ive had migraines since i was 11 and im now 36. Mine have always been loss of speech, blurry eyes and numbness down right side of body, face and mouth so for me they are my normal pattern. Mine are always stress and anxiety related or overload of thoughts xx
  • Options
    Sorry just to add I take Sumatriptan which my doc says is fine to continue with. His reasoning was that suffering a migraine with no pain relief will cause much more stress to me and baby than the tablet could. Hope this helps xx
  • Options
    I've had migraines since I was 14 and used to kill it with Advil liquid gels and it would be fine. Since being pregnant and taking Advil out I've had to adjust. I just had one the other night and took two hot showers then moved from the bed to the couch and back to the bed. Awful. I can relate to you I hope you find relief.
  • Options
    aloha5736aloha5736 member
    edited October 2015
    I had migraines and felt like I had a facial droop. Sleep deprivation did it to me. I was working nights. Caffeine helped.
  • Options
    I too have been having migraines since I was 14. Pretty sure they're hormone triggered because I always got them around my period. They tapered off through the years but 6 weeks into my pregnancy they started up again. They have been bad, lasting 3-4 days. I used to take Advil and sleep it off, but now no Advil and can't sleep because the pain wakes me up. Sometimes cold compresses help, I tried not to do the caffeine since I quit it while trying to get pregnant but after the doctor prescribed me Fioricet (Tylonol, Butalbital and caffeine) I try a cup of coffee before I try anything else. Sometimes that's all it takes. I take the Fioricet only when nothing else is working. It totally sucks and I feel for you! I'm just coming off a migraine now....it's kinda lingering... Hope you can find some relief.
    Married for 4 years. TTC for 3.
    Me: 38 DH: 39
    DX: Unexplained Infertility; found a few fibroids this time around during SIS

March 2012: Clomid for 3 cycles  3 BFNs
    Sept. 2013: started injectables (Follistim, Ovidrel Trigger) IUI BFN

May 2015: New RE. Going IVF. Tests, Tests, Tests 
    July 2015: Microdose Lupron 20u am & pm, Follistim 150iu 75iu am, Menapur 150iu 75iu pm
    Triggered 8/4 ER 8/6 ET 8/11 2 beautiful blastocysts; 2WW
    8/19 hpt BFP! Beta 8/25: 482
    2nd Beta 9/1......3707
    U/S 9/21: 1 beautiful little gummy bear

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    a) Consider asking your OB for a referral to a MFM doctor. Fioricet, Botox, and Relpax (in 2nd tri) are considered safe (as per my MFM, neuro and OB) for pregnancy.
    b) Take 400mg of Magnesium daily.
    c) Stay hydrated.
    d) Get enough sleep.
    e) you can try Tylenol plus a low dose of caffeine if you don't want to go the prescription drug route.
    f) Massage, accupressure, cold compresses to your head/neck, and showers can all help alleviate head pain.
    (And I say this as someone who has had a chronic migraine diagnosis for over a decade, and experienced migraines for 16 years.)
    Married July 2009, Rescue dog adopted September 2010, DS born June 2012
    Expecting LO2 in February 2016
    Ghost of MrsMuq
  • Options
    I have been having them off an on since I got pregnant (I am 9 weeks).  My doctor told me to take 500 mg of Magnesium oxide twice per day and 400 mg of Vitamin B12 once per day (in addition to the prenatal vitamin).  I cannot tell you how much that almost instantly relieved my headaches.  It could be just me, but it worked!

• Options
    I wish i would have known this last Wed. :( I'm going to keep it in mind now though in case they come back. Only 6w so anything could happen and probably will. Lol Thank you!