1st Trimester

Antidepressant medication and pregnancy

Hello all-

I have been on medications to treat depression/anxiety for about 8 years. I recently learned unexpectedly that Iam pregnant. I have since, with the support of my doctor tapered off Effexor and Welbutrin. I have been feeling really depressed since, I don't know if this coincides with the emotions related to pregnancy or finding out I'm expecting after only dating my partner for a few months. I have debated whether I should start back on a medication that is deemed safer during pregnancy to help with my depression. My partner is adamantly against it for understandable reasons, but I know the biggest question is do the benefits outweigh the risks? Has anyone else tapered off medications and have any insight? Thanks!

Re: Antidepressant medication and pregnancy

• You need to be healthy in order to have a healthy pregnancy. If you suffer from depression and anxiety, you can't function at your best to care for yourself during your pregnancy. Certainly talk to your doctor, but if you need medication to manage your symptoms, and your doctor agrees, then you take the medication. I understand your partner's concern and I wondered myself during my pregnancy if I was doing the best thing by staying on meds, but it kept me mentally healthy and allowed me to focus. If you don't feel you can function well without the meds, I would say the benefits do outweigh the risks.

I lurk. I snark. I offer sound advice if you're not BSC. You may not like me. I'm okay with it.

• Loading the player...
  • My doctor switched me from Lexapro to Zoloft when we started TTC - Zoloft has been around a while and most docs are comfortable using it during pregnancy. It's definitely better than unmedicated depression. If it works for you, I'd encourage you to go for it - although I would hate to be just starting Zoloft while in early pregnancy because the main side effect I experienced is nausea.

Bottom line - you can't take care of your baby if you don't take care of yourself, and Zoloft is known to be low risk.
  • Thanks for the advice, it definitely helped me to feel less alone and more understood. It's hard when the partner of the baby views it as a weakness and unnecessary risk. My PCP is planning to start me on Zoloft if need be, which I think it is getting to the point where it is essential. I'm glad I tried it without meds, but I think it's time for me to make the best choice for my own safety and well being of my unborn.. Thanks again for your compassionate
    messages.. I'm new to all of this. I am expecting my first, I'm terrified and feeling guilty/ despair waiting to feel as excited as everyone around me for the pregnancy..
  • Wellbutrin is a category B medication. That's the only medication I'm on that we aren't trying to taper down.

I will echo what everyone else has said, if the benefits outweigh the risk, then take them. Baby needs a healthy mommy during pregnancy.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers 
  • I'm on my 3rd pregnancy while on Sertraline (generic Zoloft). I have 2 beautiful, healthy children. Pregnancy is hard enough, if you need the medicine to be healthy, take it!

image"">

• I am bipolar and have anxiety. I just went through ivf so I went off all my meds so the eggs would be healty. (One of the meds causes birth defects). My major problem was the swings in mood with my period...and since I'm not having them anymore, I'm a lot better. They say there are meds that are safe during pregnancy, but I don't trust it. When I was pregnant with my first child, they told me it was safe to take paxil. Thank God I stopped because it's since been known to cause major birthdefects. I would say if your anxiety or depression is to the point you can't handle it then definitely think about meds. You need to be ok for both you and baby. Stay strong!
  • If you feel that your partner is unsupportive of the idea of you taking medications, but you feel they are medications that you need, I would encourage you to try to schedule an appointment with your doctor and have your partner join you so that they hear the risks and benefits from the doctor and can ask questions if they have any.  
  • Definitely talk to your doctor about which medications are best, but from all I've read and heard, the benefits do outweigh the risks. Taking my care of yourself = taking care of the baby.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• **Lurking from TTC**

Aside from the antidepressant, if you can afford it, I highly recommend finding a counselor to help you with your depression. I was on antidepressants for almost 10 years, and because I don't want to take any once/if I do become pregnant, for personal reasons, I finally took my doctor's advice and found a counselor. It's amazing how much having someone that you can talk to every week/every other week, who is neutral and willing to help you through your problems without judging you, can really help. I've successfully been off of my Sertraline (which was actually increased 5 months before we started tapering off), for almost 8 weeks.

Not to say you may not need medication - that's entirely up to you and your doctor - but if you ever find that you want to try something different, I highly suggest counseling. Even if you stay on medications, having someone you can rely on like a counselor can help in a way that antidepressants may not be able to.

Good luck, though!

Me: 30 | DH: 34 | DSS: 14 | DS: 4
    PG #2, EDD 10/12/2023

• little_brenlittle_bren member
    edited October 2015
    I need to be on an anti-depressant for depression and anxiety to be "well" and to be a good mother. I was on Celexa during my last pregnancy but lowered from 40mg to 20mg and did well. When DD was born, I chose to bottle feed so she didn't get any more medication than was absolutely necessary and went back up to 40mg. I saw on a bottle later that it wasn't recommended to take it whiles BF. I'm pretty sure they added that warning later. Anyway, I have a gorgeous, healthy, smart daughter and had no issues with depression.

ETA: You have the final say about your own body -- not your partner. A depressed mom isn't a healthy mom for you or for your baby.

Me: 29 / Hubster: 31
    Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I to have been tapering myself of Celexa this is my 3rd week and on down to 15 MG eventually I want to be off completely for the sake of my baby of course. Doctors will tell you that it should not harm the baby but in the back of my mind I don't agree. I have gone cold turkey once and the result was horrible that's why this time around I'm really taking it slow. I have to trust myself into thinking that I can do this I have to do this for my baby, the last thing I want is to know that my child is suffering and has complacations because I was on medication. Best of luck to you and your decision, your not alone.
  • Hi. I am on trazadone and prozac. You do what you have to do to function. Prozac is class B.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm having the same issue, I'd been on anti depressants for just over a year and was just starting to feel a bit better within myself and then I found out I was pregnant at 4 weeks, I slowly came off of the medication and am now 10 weeks but I have really been struggling, my partner is being so supportive and helping me with everything possible but nothing can help the black hole that I feel I'm stuck in. My partner also is against me going back on any medication for the health of our baby but I feel so stuck with what to do.
  • I have only been on Zoloft for about 3 months and my doc told me to stop taking it when I found out I was pregnant. I go to my OB for my first appointment next week and plan on asking if I can get back on it. This week has been hell. Plus I have IBS and it's been awful since I found out I was pregnant and stopped taking Zoloft. I go to my GI doc tomorrow and hopefully can get on something. If your doc says it's okay, then I would take it. You need to take care of you first and be healthy. My DH wasn't supportive at first but he's seen the difference it's made.
  • Depression during pregnancy and especially postpartum is serious. I would talk to your doctor about trying another medication. Zoloft and Prozac is generally considered to be pretty safe, I personally was on Zoloft and am tapering down but if I find that I need it I will go back on. The main concern is with high doses in 3rd trimester. Be safe and good luck. 
  • I pretty much have to stay on a med myself. I'm not thrilled about it, however, tapering down even a quarter of a dose over months made my life very unpleasant. I think we have to do what we have to do. My high risk doc is ok with it. You are on the right track working with your doctor. I do think your partner needs to be supportive of you--group counseling perhaps? If he wants you to be functional and happy, he needs to be on board with your decisions. Good luck!
    *****Losses Mentioned*****BFP MENTIONED*****ALL WELCOME******ALL ABOARD!!

Me: 42, DH: 46, Married: 11/12
    Losses: MMC#1 11/12 BO, MC#2 11/13 at 8w BO?, MMC#3 8/14 chromo healthy M @12 weeks, stopped growing at 10.
    Negligible AMH, FSH finally went high. Pursued DE.

DD born at 38w2d on 5-27-16. Finally!!

Pregnant again with OE. EDD 11/9/17 Girl!

BabyGaga