VBAC

Scared to vbac

For possible vbac mamas, anyone finding that fear is setting in the farther they get? I am getting so scared of rupture the farther I get. I'm finding myself considering repeat csection, I'm so scared. I've read you should trust your gut - well I'm very scared I will rupture, so is that my gut warning me, or just fear? Very confused And scared. Any words of insight?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Scared to vbac

• I am planning for a VBAC, due on Oct 24, and I completely understand your fear.  Since finding out I was pregnant, I have done absolutely as much research as I could about VBAC risks.  I love vbacfacts.com.  If you haven't been to that site, I highly recommend it.  
    The chance of rupture is very small: 1%ish for a low transverse scar.  And the majority of those ruptures are not fatal to either mama or baby.  
    For my upcoming birth, I decided that the best thing to do is to be prepared.  I am choosing to deliver in a hospital that has great success rates for VBACs.  The OB and anesthesiologist are on-site for my entire labor, and I will have continuous wireless monitoring for baby's heartbeat.  If any emergency comes up, I can be in the OR in no time. 
    Keep in mind that repeat cesareans come with their own risk, and although the risk to baby is slightly lower for repeat c/s, the risk for mama is actually higher with multiple surgeries.  
    Do your research, and yes, follow your gut.  Every woman's decision for birth is unique and very personal.  No one can make the choice for you.  And don't let fear get the best of you.  
    Whatever decision you make, VBAC or RCS, I hope you have an empowering birth experience!  You can do it!
  • I am going through this now. I have been wanting to have a VBAC this whole pregnancy, but as D-Day gets closer, I find doubt, worry, and fear creeping in. I keep having to remind myself though that there are serious risks that can come with c-sections as well. I have a doc appointment tomorrow so I plan on going over my fears with her then.

Just know you are not alone! I'm scared and confused, too. 
  • Loading the player...
  • edan3579edan3579 member
    edited October 2015
    It is a tough and scary decision. If you decide to do a repeat section there is no shame in that. The end goal is to have your baby in your arms. I was one of the few unlucky ones who did rupture, but in the long run everything turned out OK because my baby is happy and healthy.

I still very much support vbacs because I did do my research and felt like it was statistically the safest option. I would suggest that anyone considering a vbac know the symptoms very well and if experiencing any of them, take them seriously even if your doctor is not.

I, and my doctor, thought I wasn't rupturing because baby's heart rate was fine, even though I had excruciating pain between contractions that wasn't helped by an epidural. Luckily my son had a giant head and wouldn't come out after much pushing.

They found my rupture after they went in to do the section and baby's hr started crashing as they preped me. He was born unresponsive but was resuscitated quickly. Recovery was tough and long, but overall the only regret I have is not standing my ground earlier and making them take my symptoms more seriously.

Sorry. Very long, but really make the decision you feel most comfortable with and know that there is know way to predict the future either way. No shame in either decision!

• I just did a vbac. Although our experience is very different, risk def. is at the forefront. I felt pain along my scar line the entire time i was pushing. It was very scary. I was holding back on pushing as i kept thinking i was going to rupture.
    At the end of the day, being in the hospital is the right place for a vbac in case further medical intervention is required.

• Thank you guys so much for your responses. I'm glad I'm not alone, but I wish none of us had to make such a tough decision!!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • So how long did you wait before you got pregnant again when was your last cesarean before your Vbac.. was it over a year or more
  • @sassyladee DH and I wanted to wait until DD was potty-trained before thinking about baby number two.  DD was about 29 months old when I got pregnant this time.  (planning on VBAC sometime in the next 2/3 weeks!!)

I've read that lots of OBs recommend having at least 18 months between c/s and VBAC, but there are lots of wonderful stories out there about women having successful VBACs only 11 or 12 months post-c/s.  The best thing to do is talk it over with your doctor.  They would know the specifics of your case, and would help you make the best decision for you.
  • I had 21 months between section and vbac attempt.
  • I am also terrified but also excited...my first was breech and I was super disappointed that I couldn't try for the natural birth I had planned...I'm nervous about a rupture and that this baby will be huge! (My first was 9.8lbs) I think I just need to stop reading stuff online and trust my gut
  • I had a vbac in July. I wasn't nervous, just very determined although I know the fear is very common. I had read in several places that the chances of something going wrong are higher for baby than mom, much like a vaginal birth without having a c/s first. Do what makes you feel comfortable, you don't want to put yourself through any more stress than necessary. I am very glad I had my vbac, much easier recovery, I got to hold my baby right away, I was awake and coherent (wasn't for my c/s), and less stress all around for me. Talk to your doctor at length. The only reason I needed aa c/s the first time was because my son's head was too big. The second one has a smaller head so it was very easy and quick. Good luck either way!

imagePhotobucket

TTC #1 since 3/2011
    DX: anovulatory and severe MFI
    DH is a testicular cancer survivor
    IVF#1 w/ICSI lupron, gonal f, ovidrel
    ER 6/15/12 6R 6M 6F! ET 6/20/12
    Beta #1: 154 Beta #2: 509 Beta #3: 7326
    Baby Boy born 3/1/2013

TTC#2: 6/2014 all testing came back normal

IVF#2 (#1 for LO#2) 9/2014 - 17R 10M 10F 4 blasts frozen on day 6.

FET #1 10/15/14 - Beta #1: 216  Beta #2: 823

Baby Boy born 7/10/2015

• Conky3000Conky3000 member
    edited November 2015

The chance of rupture is very low, and even if you did rupture, it's rarer still for mom or baby to die. If you're delivering in a hospital, they'll be prepared for the worst and chances are you and baby will be fine. Good luck! Hope you're able to relax a bit, but I know it's hard. :)