Infertility
Options

What to do? Using a donor

So I am married but DH doesn't know if he wants to continue with the baby-making project any longer. It's been 18 months without luck and has certainly caused stress in our marriage. He has two kids from previous marriage but I have none. I've debated if he says he's done trying if I should use a donor. It's certainly not my first option; I obviously would like it to be my DH but what to do if he decides no? I'm 37.5. He says he doesn't want to raise a strangers baby either. Has anyone used donor? I have very mixed feelings.

Re: What to do? Using a donor

• Options
    So are you saying using donor sperm without your husbands permission?  I'm not even sure your RE would allow that.  We both had to sign off that it was his sperm we were using.  I would think  he would have to sign-off that it was someone else's sperm.  
  • Options
    @bsckgb7 I would not do it secretly but if I have to choose between trying to have a baby or not, I may choose to use donor sperm. I have discussed it with my RE and they require a meeting with a social worker. I just can't let anyone stand in my way of trying for a baby
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    HBamama2BHBamama2B member
    edited October 2015
    I've been following your posts and definitely feel for you and the very real struggle you are going through. I can imagine being in a similar situation if my DH were not on board with trying for a child, either ours or adopted. Having kids just isn't optional for me, and blessedly it isn't for my DH.

I strongly recommend trying to get your DH to attend a fertility therapist, if he's willing, to help each of you see the other's side even if you can't reconcile your final decision points. Fertility therapist are unique and can help address some of the pressure he is feeling while providing support for you at the same time. I wish you both the best of luck and a happy outcome!
  • Options
    This makes me so very sad. The first thing I would say (other than seconding the therapist) is that it may just be that the journey is tiring DH out. A fertility therapist can help you with that. 

Now, please don't think I'm being harsh in this next part, but you really need to remove emotion about having a baby from this and think about what you are saying. So I mean this with all kindness and wishes for you to get what you want and be happy *and* bring a happy, healthy child into the world. 

I can't urge you enough though to think about what it would be like for your donor child to be raised in a house with a father figure who has at this point very much made it clear that he doesn't want to raise "somebody else's kid." Please do not kid yourself into thinking he would change his mind once a lovely baby is in the house. Please think of what you might be putting a future child through. Please make a decision that prioritizes the child rather than your desire for a child. The situation that you are describing could be incredibly toxic and scarring to a child. If you truly want a baby in a way that you would let nothing stand in that way, and even after therapy DH is not on board to continue, then you may have to choose between DH and a healthy environment for a donor child. 

We're interviewing donors right now (egg). We are both on board. Using donor genetics is no different from your own genetics in that *you absolutely must be a team about it.* If that is not going to happen, then you need to re-evaluate and possibly adjust your situation to reflect your true goals. 
    Me: 41, DH 38, Diagnosis DOR
    Started TTC 12/2013
    First Trip to RE: 11/2014
    IVF Round 1: 2/2014 - BFP
    DD Born 11/9/2014
    TTC a Sibling Started 5/2015
    First IVF Round 8/15 - BFN
    Taking a break to go on vacation + enjoy the holidays before FET and/or another IVF round in 2016!

• Options
    I agree with @jnissa . I am so sorry that you are going through this . I would probably feel and consider exactly what you are considering right now if I were put in the same position . But I think you have to take a step back and remove the emotions from it because the future child is the priority . This isn't a decision you can make on your own unless you choose to be alone in raising a child I would think (that is if your husband ultimately says no ) . As others have mentioned it sounds like therapy would be a huge help in this situation to sort out your feelings and understand where the other person is coming from . I would be upset if my husband had previously said he was ok with having kids and then changed his mind . Maybe he needs a little bit of a break ? Could you take a break for a designated amount of time to take the focus and pressure off ? I know time is of the essence, especially when you want a baby so badly but even six months could both give you some time to breathe . Obviously I'm no expert just brainstorming . Hugs !!!! Keep us posted on how things are going . I hope your husband has a change of heart !!

**BFP and loss warning**

Me: 29
    DH: 29
    Us: Married Valentine's Day, 2015
    DH: No issues.
    Me: PCOS, unexplained infertility (whatever that means!!)
    June 2015 Medicated TI cycle: BFN
    July 2015:  Medicated TI cycle: BFN
    August 2015: IUI: BFP. Chemical pregnancy :(
    October 2015: IUI: BFN
    January 2016: Egg retrieval: 10 frozen embryos!
    March 2016: FET Cycle- 2 embryos transferred!: BFP !
  • Options
    I'm seeing a fertility therapist on Wednesday and DH isn't interested in coming. That's up to him, I can't force him. At this point I am hoping he comes around to trying IUI in for my next cycle. If we were to try 2-3 cycles without success I would be willing to quit. I don't want to go on forever; I'm almost 38 and he's nearly 41 and I do feel a sense of wanting to know where my life is headed. I don't want to wake up in 10 years and ask myself what if... If he refuses to participate in any IUI that is where the donor comes in. He has made it clear that if I go down that road, we are done. So I would be raising that baby by myself which isn't ideal. I could use donor sperm and not get pregnant and be alone with no baby or my DH. He had a vasectomy reversal that worked but I haven't gotten pregnant. We learned about antibodies after the fact, we don't know if that's the issue or not, I just want to try something else.

I'm taking October off in hopes of relaxing and just working on us but it's always in the back of my mind
  • Options
    I agree with everyone on therapy, I think it is wonderful and extremely helpful in working through these kinds of issues.

It could be that you guys just need a breather. Ttc naturally with ovulation kits, timers, etc was very stressful on my DH. Now that we've started IVF treatments, one of the *few* positives is no pressure to have timed intercourse. My DH has been so happy to just have sex for fun, and it's helped us re-gain some if the normalcy in our relationship.

I have to say, though, if my DH wanted to have a child, with or without me, that would really hurt! I would feel really unimportant. If having a child IS more important than your relationship, so be it, you have every right to feel how you feel. But try to be empathetic to how that probably makes him feel. Neither one of you is wrong, it just sucks when you're not on the same page!
    me: 39  DH: 42
    TTC: since April 2014
    IUI #1-3 Jan-April 2015 (all BFNs)
    IVF #1 May/June 2015 - cancelled due to poor response
    IVF #2 July/Aug 2015 - BFN
    DE IVF #1 March 2016 - BFP
  • Options
    @kuposa17 I have definitely considered some of what you've brought up. How he must feel knowing I am 100% for baby, without seeming to care how he feels or if I have to lose him, so be it. It's not what I want at all, and it's agony to think I may have to choose between being a mother and keeping my love. That's why I am doing my best just to enjoy our relationship right now and not focus on the baby issue, at least for this month
  • Options
    plumeria05plumeria05 member
    edited October 2015
    @junicek My heart goes out to you because I know how it feels to come to the realization that you need a donor. My husband and I are taking the donor route (for eggs). Our RE told us after a failed IVF that my egg quality is the problem and suggested a donor. After getting over that heartbreak, we started looking for donors. To me, we do need eggs but I'll be the one carrying the baby and giving him/her life :). Hubby and I are excited to see this journey. Good luck and hugs to you
    TTC for Baby #1 for 3 years. After 2 failed IUI's & IVFs, God blessed us with our miracle :).  FET 12/17/15 (transferred 2 embryos at 5days). First Beta 12/29/15 = 354. Second Beta 12/31/15 = 694. Third Beta 1/7/16 = 6,695.  Finally heard his heartbeat (126)  on 1/14/16 @ our 1st US.  2nd US on 1/21/16, HR was 159.  The most beautiful sound ever :) 
  • Options
    This is such a heart-wrenching and complicated process!  I do hope that you and your DH find clarity together... Praying for you!
    ***Pregnancy Mentioned***
    ME: 32; DH: 34; TTC since 3/2014; Diagnosed Unexplained Infertility 2/2015
    3/2015-5/2015 IUI #1-3 with clomid + trigger:  CP + 2 BFN
    6/2015 Prep for IVF + ICSI + Assisted hatching
    7/2015 17 high-quality blasts, transferred 1 & froze 16
    8/2015: IVF#1 BFN; prep for FET
    9/2015:  Transferred 2 top grade hatching day 6 blasts
    10/2015:  10dp6dfet 754!! 13dp6dfet 2327!! 15dp6dfet 4919!!
    Present:  TWO heartbeats and all is well!!  G/B TWINS Due Date:  6/16/16
  • Options
    Have you done any fertility treatments?
  • Options
    @MrsHandler I have been trying to conceive for 19 months. We were supposed to do IUI in sept, I did all the monitoring and on the morning I was supposed to have insemination my DH couldn't finish the job in a cup. It was so much pressure and I felt very badly for him. Since then I found out he can use special condoms or preseed to help but he is hesitant to try again.
  • Options
    Has he gotten tested too?  I would say keep going if its something you want.  Try and get your husband to understand how your feeling.  I hope that it all works out for you!
  • Options
    He has been tested because he had a vasectomy reversal in April 2014. It was successful but I haven't gotten pregnant even though all my numbers are good. I'm wondering if it's stress or sperm antibodies that are preventing pregnancy. He knows how important it is to me, but he finds the process extremely overwhelming. We are seeing a fertility therapist today so I'm hoping it's a positive appt.
  • Options
    That's great @junicek ! Let us know how it goes !!

**BFP and loss warning**

Me: 29
    DH: 29
    Us: Married Valentine's Day, 2015
    DH: No issues.
    Me: PCOS, unexplained infertility (whatever that means!!)
    June 2015 Medicated TI cycle: BFN
    July 2015:  Medicated TI cycle: BFN
    August 2015: IUI: BFP. Chemical pregnancy :(
    October 2015: IUI: BFN
    January 2016: Egg retrieval: 10 frozen embryos!
    March 2016: FET Cycle- 2 embryos transferred!: BFP !
  • Options
    Just wanted to update everyone who was kind enough to reply to my post, we are going to try IUI this month. Fertility therapist appts helped, as did taking some time to focus on as a couple. I may not be successful but at least my attempts are with my DH, which is what I want.
  • Options
    Fx for you! I am so glad you and DH are in a good place. I think that is the most important factor in this process.
    Married May 2009, TTC since November 2012 (Together since 2006 ish - had my eyes on him since 2001)
    Me: 32 (33 in May), Him: 37 (January)

DX: Me: High Prolactin, Possible Autoimmune Disease Issues, though RE not concerned (?)  New RE has a plan!!
           Him: Minor Varicocele, low morphology, slightly low count

History:

Beta 5/9/2016 BFP!!
    Embryo transfer scheduled for April 28, 2016 and beta test May 9, 2016 (day after Mother's Day!)
    Transfer Meds include: Lupron Depot (4/1), Minivelle Patch (every 3rd day), Estradiol (3x daily), Amoxicillin, Progesterone in Oil, Methylprednisonlone. Lovenox and baby asprin added after transfer. 

3/22/16 - Sono Saline ultrasound cyst to be aspirated on 4/1/16 if not cleared up by 3/29 US - It cleared on its own
    Retrieval 3/4/16 - 26 eggs retrieved, 23 mature, 20 fertilized, 14 embryos currently frozen
    Starting IVF Stims on +/- Feb 22, 2016
    HSG scheduled for 1-26-16 - All clear "beautiful uterus" (though inverted)

Switched clinics and now prepping for IVF in February / March

Fourth IUI -  CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - December, 2015 - BFN
    Third IUI -  CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - November, 2015 - BFN
    Second IUI - CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - September, 2015 - BFN
    Started Prolactin Medication October 15 - Levels quickly regulated to with in normal range
    First IUI - CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - August, 2015 - BFN
    After no BFPs (ever) First RE/Urologist visit in Feb 2015
    HSG w/ OB, 2014 = all clear
    Trying to conceive since November 2012