Baby Names
Options

Middle name Beatriz

Hi - I'm looking for first name suggestions to go with the middle name Beatriz - my husband's pick for our little girl. Any suggestions are appreciated!!

Re: Middle name Beatriz

• Options
    The spelling of the name Beatrice is well established. Please don't make it speshul by adding a "z" ending. It only serves to make it look like you can't spell. I would side eye a resume that came across my desk with a "Beatriz" on it. Don't set your child up for a life where she will have to constantly correct the spelling of her name (although ironically, most people will assume the correct spelling and your child will be there having to explain why her parents chose to butcher a beautiful name.)

Alternatively - Beatrix is an actual name, but pronounced differently

Middles names for Beatrice...

Inez
    Iris
    Rosalie
    Holly
    Felicity
    Julianne
    Grace
    Hope
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    KrissLS said:

Hi - I'm looking for first name suggestions to go with the middle name Beatriz - my husband's pick for our little girl. Any suggestions are appreciated!!

What sort of names are you looking for? Any specific background, such as with Beatriz?
  • Options
    I like Anna Beatriz
  • Options

I like Anna Beatriz

I was going to suggest the exact same name, spelling and all!
    =D>
  • Options
    Love Anna or Maya to go with Beatriz if you're looking for culturally similar names. If you want something more like Beatrice (Americanized) maybe Clara or Julia. I obviously like the -a ending leading into Beatriz/ce
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm sorry, I didn't realize it was a Portuguese spelling. Is it pronounced the same? I've never seen it before. I sincerely apologize if I offended you.

I would still be hesitant to use the spelling since it's not common, (at least where I live here in the US) and it IS fairly common for people to replace a "z" for a "c" or an "s" in name just to make it appear unique. I think my point about your child having to correct people her whole life still stands true (especially if it is pronounced the same)
  • Options
    Just because I might cringe when I see an unusual name, doesn't mean I dump the resume in the garbage. I would say that where I am in the southern United States, the majority of ethnic names I come across don't strike me as unusual...But please feel free to "question my hiring practices" internet stranger.
  • Options
    kayway85 said:

I'm sorry, I didn't realize it was a Portuguese spelling. Is it pronounced the same? I've never seen it before. I sincerely apologize if I offended you.

I would still be hesitant to use the spelling since it's not common, (at least where I live here in the US) and it IS fairly common for people to replace a "z" for a "c" or an "s" in name just to make it appear unique. I think my point about your child having to correct people her whole life still stands true (especially if it is pronounced the same)

I doubt she would be correcting people her whol life when it is her middle name, not her first.
  • Options
    Not trying to be catty, but perhaps because I'm from the southwest that someone would think Beatriz was made up seems to be a pretty provincial perspective. So depending on where you live and the circles she'll run in, it might or might not be an issue (not that middle names generally cause much trouble!). Regardless OP, to help us brain storm, would you anglicize the pronounciation or stick with "bea-treez?"
  • Options
    JadaBlue said:

Not trying to be catty, but...that someone would think Beatriz was made up seems to be a pretty provincial perspective.

THIS.
    mrstrax said:

I obviously like the -a ending leading into Beatriz/ce

Me too. Olivia, Stella, etc. I also like Rachel/Rachael/Raquel, and names that end in L, with Beatriz.
  • Options
    Yes it is the Portuguese spelling which is legitimate. My husband is Brazilian. The Portuguese pronunciation is different but prettier in my opinion. There is a small Latino community where we live so she will go to school with others familiar with the name. I know others ( such as my family!) would use the English pronunciation. This is precisely why I am only considering it as a middle name. Anyway I'm glad most people would not side-eye my daughter's resume ;)

My EDD is tomorrow and we have been stuck when it comes to deciding names. We finally came to the agreement that my husband could pick the name he loves, Beatriz , and I will pick the other name. I love the suggestions so far! Keep them coming! First name does not need to be Portuguese but something that can be pronounced in both languages is ideal. Thank you for the help!
  • Options
    I like how Cassandra Beatriz sounds. Easily pronounced and Cass is a pretty NN. Also, Estela and Marissa nice.