March 2015 Moms

Bottle holding

Is anybody's baby holding their own bottle?

Re: Bottle holding

• Mine holds his own on occasion. He doesn't get how far up to tip it to get to the bottom of the formula - but he's been doing it for about a month or two. He's 6 months, almost 7.
  • I have a cup with handles that I'm starting to use for water and she's getting it in her mouth. Still thinks water is some sort of poison, but it's more for her to get used to it than to really drink from in any large amount. I only put 1-2 oz in and she takes sips of I hold it go her. Same problem as PP; she just can't get it high enough. But her full 8-10 oz bottle is too heavy for her to hold right now, plus she goes right into a milk coma when she starts drinking from it.
  • Loading the player...
  • I tried the the cup and the first time she acted like it came out too fast so I tried a different time and she won't even touch it no matter how hungry she is. If she sees it she holds her mouth closed really tight so she doesn't have to drink from it
  • What kind of cups are you using?? We are on design number three... But the tommee tippee was the best but awful to clean so I stopped using it. My LO is just not having any success.
  • myjessesgirlmyjessesgirl member
    edited October 2015
    I have a Nuk sippy cup that was labeled for 4 months+. It has handles that can be removed and a very nipple-like spout. I am not ashamed to say that I have tried drinking out of it myself and it seems to have an easier design than the Nuby brand. It's really a transition cup more than an actual sippy cup.

Edit to add this: I also have her on Stage 4 Avent Natural nipples right now for her bottles, so I think the sippy cup actually has a slower flow than the bottles. I have noticed that she gets frustrated easier with the sippy cup. I have tried using milk in it once or twice, but she gets very upset. So right now I'm just doing sips of water if she takes them.
  • The only cup mine can actually get anything out of is the Avent transition cup. It comes with a stage 3 nipple and a very thin spout, which is what we use. Any other spouts were too hard for her to suck on, or she would just bite it. She's bf and doesn't like bottles, so sippy cups are a new concept for her.
  • I haven't tried or started him drinking water yet, but was planning to once doctor gave the okay at his 6 mo. appt. (He had it last week). I'm glad you guys have said what you're using. Now I have some ideas of what to look for. He's been trying to hold his bottle at night for a while now, but it's usually too heavy.
  • I tried a munchkin bite proof cup w/ water. First time I gave it to him he grabbed it and brought it to his mouth like a pro. Sucked a few times, realized it was water and refuses it touch it since lol, I'm thinking I'm going to try another cup to see if he likes it better
  • My little guy holds his bottle for the first ounce then it turns into a punching bag and he hits it instead of holding it. When he sees the bottle coming he'll hold his arms out like he wants a hug then he'll grab hold of it. Haven't tried the cups yet. Trying to figure out what he's allergic to at the moment but I'm kind of excited to see him feed himself that way.
  • My daughter has been holding her own bottle for a while now. She gets a bit stuck when it's coming to the last little bit as she doesn't realise she's got to tilt it up more to get the rest out. Also haven't tried cups yet but water seems to be going down nicely!
  • My ds 7 mnths today can do it was doing it but his looks at me an is like nup u can do it lol
  • Mine doesn't yet, but he tries. I just have to help him a bit.
  • My daughter can hold her own bottle now! All the way down to the last sip. I actually plan my grocery shopping trips around her afternoon feeding so I can just give her the bottle as we go into the store and she's done by the time I'm done shopping. That way she gets a feeding in and I can shop without her fusing the whole time. She's 7 months and has been able to hold her own bottle for about a week now.