Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Missed Miscarriage

AngelANova15AngelANova15 member
edited October 2015 in Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
I found out a week ago that my baby had no fetal heartbeat. At that point I was suppose to be 8weeks and 5 days. Since then I've been scheduled for a D&C on Friday. I'm still on the fence about the D&C due to uterus scarring, infertility etc. This is my first pregnancy and miscarriage. I'm still confused between the D&C and medication induced miscarriage at home. I also have a condition of vulvodynia - so am worried about what the D&C will affect my cervix.

Re: Missed Miscarriage

• I'm so sorry for your loss.  My situation was different (ectopic) so I don't have any advise for you.  If you do a search, or scroll through a few pages, I think you can find some threads about people's experiences with a D&C.  I'm sorry you're in a position where you have to make this decision.

Hugs.
  • I'm sorry for your loss. I experienced a miscarriage a month ago. I also debated between having a D&C or medication. I ended up having a D&C and I'm glad I did. I had already experienced a loss of our first child in 2011. This was our 2nd child, I did not want to go through the physical pain because emotionally I was already drained. My doctor also told me that even if I chose medication to miscarry she would still do a D&C to make sure I did not get an infection and to make sure everything was clear. I will be thinking of you and keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.
  • Loading the player...
  • So sorry for your loss. We had a missed miscarriage in may and had to make the same decision. I opted for the d&c for faster physical healing. Ours went well and we were fortunate to conceive again immediately and I am now 20 weeks. It is such a personal decision, but after researching both options and talking with my doctor, we felt a d&c was best for us.
  • Thanks for your support and advice it means alot!
  • Also as you may know a d&c may be out of your choice. I had a missed miscarriage. I was 12..baby stopped at 9 with no heartbeat. Because it could have potentially been 3 weeks already, we were given 2 weeks to miscarry naturally then would have to go ahead with surgery. It is also said if you miscarry past 10 weeks you are less likely to pass it naturally.
  • Yes I have a feeling the baby had not heartbeat earlier. The ultrasound did not provide that information. Did any of you get results back from the D&C about baby and what happened?
  • I'm so sorry for your loss. I went to my doctor on 9/14 for bleeding and I found out that my baby had stopped growing at 7w1d. It had been nearly a month since the baby stopped developing and it took me that long to start bleeding, so I opted for the d&c the next day. I just needed it to be over with and didn't want to take the chance that it was going to take a long time to happen naturally since it took so long for it to start.

I just had my post-op check up and everything looks fine. I didn't get any results about the baby, just told that it probably wasn't developing correctly. If I'm not mistaken, they don't do any testing if it's your first mc. Good luck with whatever you decide.

LFAF April Siggy: TV/Movie BFFs

BFP #1 12/2012, DS born 8/2013
    BFP #2 7/2015, MMC and D&C 9/2015
    BFP #3 11/2015, CP
    BFP #4 1/2016, DD born 10/2016

• They didn't do testing after my d&c as far as what caused the loss. They did test for a molar pregnancy which I think is standard.
  • I'm sorry to hear you are going through this, too. I made a quicker decision on mine than I think I should have in retrospect. I found out I had a blighted ovum on a Wednesday and got my d&c on the Friday. Honestly, I really really really wanted to be put to sleep and get some good drugs at that point. Everything was really easy for me (although expensive). Obviously, some side effects might not show up until later, but they are pretty rare, especially with the first d&c. When I asked my doctor for a recommendation, she said that in her experience, the medicine didn't always work very well.

• I agree with others that a first mc insurance usually doesn't cover any type of testing.  I am not sure I can handle 2, but at that point, heaven forbid...I would demand something to ease my mind.
  • Thanks so much for this valuable info. Also your heartfelt sympathies are so appreciated. Just me and my husband know right now and a few friends. Your experiences do give me comfort. I'm deeply sorry to hear of your losses as well. Hugs
  • So sorry for everyone's losses and heartache. Xx
    after 4 previous healthy pregnancies, (now 23, 18, 13 &12yrs) I had a mmc last June. Went for a scan at 10wks 5 days but baby had stopped developing at 7wks 6days, we were heartbroken and opted for a d&c, we could of had it that day but needed to get back to work, so had it the next day. We were advised that naturally could take a while, medically could result in a d&c anyway incase it wasn't complete. Went for d&c as wanted it over asap so could try again as age not on my side, and I found it was the only way I could cope with the loss. August was my first period but was very long and abnormal, then we started ttc September, I've 3 days til preg test (will be 12 days po) so nervous. Hugs to all and hope your dreams come true asap. Xx
  • I'm sorry for your loss. I went through this in September. Recovery was very easy from the D&C. We opted for the D&C based on the recommendation from my doctor that the medicine isn't 100% effective and I hadn't started to miscarry naturally, despite the embryo stopping development 5 weeks prior. It took about three weeks before my body felt back to normal because of the pregnancy hormones. Still waiting for my period to restart, 4 weeks post-op today.

What has hurt the most has been the cost. I've spent two hours this week on the phone with my insurance company and the doctor's office trying to figure out the two bills I've received since. These two bills after the $1890 we paid the day of my D&C and the $130 we spent on medication post-op. If you opt for the D&C, call your insurance provider and ask them exactly how much you will need to pay out of pocket. It sucks to drop $3,000 and have no baby to show for it.
  • Thanks for this advice. I just finished my D&C. It went ok so far. But have been resting the whole evening post-surgery. Abit of cramping.