Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Vomit/hiccups after feeding

Hey everyone, I have a two week old baby and was just curious if any other parents were having the same problem and seeing if there is ever a time to worry.
I know vomiting is normal in babies but it seems like my baby is vomiting everything she consumes after every feeding. Usually the same steps... Feed, vomit, hiccups. I usually get two good burps out of her but that's about it. Also, the vomit texture varies from a projectile liquid to a chunky cottage cheese type vomit. Might be a stupid discussion but I'm curious and would like some piece of mind thanks!
-concerned father

Re: Vomit/hiccups after feeding

• Options
    Hey there!! My DD does/did the same thing. It might be reflux. My lo has gotten better over the past few weeks but still occasionally has projectile vomiting. Try to keep your lo on an incline after feeding. Burp them then keep them in the upright position for 10-15 minutes. This seemed to help with my lo. If I put her straight on her back of move her around too much she will vomit. Also try to do diaper changes before you feed so that way they aren't moving a whole lot after.

Are you using formula?
    SIGGY WARNING//TICKER WARNING//PAIF

Long of the Short:
     TTC since April 2013  DH 42 y/o I'm 30  Dh had vasectomy reversal Feb 2013 after 3 months developed scar tissue 
     First Re appt was September 2013 OOP for everything minus meds  
    DH's TESE surgery December 2013
    First cycle was February 2014 BFN none to freeze
     Second cycle was April 2014 BFP ending in Chemical Pregnancy none to freeze
     Third cycle June 2014 BFN none to freez
     Fourth cycle October 30th 28 retrieved, 13 mature and 12 fertilized
    PICSI, assisted hatching and fresh sperm from my DH's TESE surgery used
    5 FROZEN from a freeze all cycle! 
    FET completed on DECEMBER 9TH!!!
    Beta #1 13dp5dt BFP!! 800
    Beta #2 15dp5dt 2100
    Beta #3 17dp5dt 3600 
    First Scan January 5th! Everything looks great! Heart rate of 121!
    Second Scan January 20th. Baby Justone13 looks amazing. Heart rate of 175!
    Baby Girl is due August 27th
    Liv Annmarie born 8/25 7lbs 6oz 21 1/2 inches long 

• Options

Are you sure it's vomit? PP is right, could be reflux BUT a lot of people jump to that conclusion, even doctors. Spitting up is totally normal, even a lot of spit up is still normal but if your LO isn't gaining weight or appears to be in pain while spitting up/vomiting then you should have your Pedi take a look.

My son used to spit up LARGE amounts after every single feeding for the first year of his life but that's just what he did. He wasn't in pain and was gaining weight so it was a laundry problem if nothing else.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My guy is 13 weeks old. Spits up constantly, but not projectile. Its chunky sometimes and almost mucus like at other times. He also gets hiccups at least 5 times a day, sometimes very intense ones that make him upset. I burp him and try to keep him from being shuffled around right after eating, but he still spits up even hours later. He's gaining weight perfectly and the Dr had no concerns so it seems pretty normal what you're reporting....
  • Options
    Most likely it's just normal baby spit-up. If it's after every meal and is projectile I would definitely talk to your pediatrician. I'm not trying to scare you, I hope it's just spit-up or reflux, but it could by pyloric stenosis.

My little man had it. I only recognized the symptoms because my niece had it. It was crazy scary and required surgery. Thankfully it's a common procedure now and he's back to normal( whatever that is) spit-ups.

It's probably nothing, but go with your gut.. If you're worried take LO in for a checkup. They can rule out pyloric stenosis with a quick sono.
  • Options
    My son has some pretty fierce reflux and changing his formula made the biggest difference in the world. We started with breastmilk, then went to half breastmilk and half formula, then now to all AR (anti-reflux) formula. It's a thicker consistency and much easier to keep down. If your kiddo is already on formula, I'd ask your doc about switching to an AR formula (we use Enfamil).