3rd Trimester
Options

Braxton Hicks vs Labor Contractions

Hello- I am new to the Bump forums, but I e been a member for a while now. I'm currently 37 weeks and I've been parusing the forum to see if this question has ever been addressed.
So I am well read on the difference/how to tell between BH and true labor, but my question is, has anyone ever noticed any correlation to how they experienced the sensation of BH to how labor contractions were? Were they similar in any way? Just curious.
I've been feeling BH since 20 weeks (annoying!!) and I'm a FTM so very curious/ansy about it all ...lol

Re: Braxton Hicks vs Labor Contractions

• Options
    Mine were not similar in any way. Braxton Hicks was just a tightening across my belly. Actual labor completely took my breath away.
    Watch for a regularity of contractions to know if it is actual labor. If they are timetable and you can't talk through them, consider them actual contractions.
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    My BH were nothing like labor contractions. BH would just get my belly real tight and hard, then relax and be over. Contractions would be like a wave of a sharp pain that started from the middle of my belly, and worked its way all over the rest of my belly and back.
    BH aren't consistent at all, while contractions would come consistently, and get closer together and more intense over time.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hello- I am new to the Bump forums, but I e been a member for a while now. I'm currently 37 weeks and I've been parusing the forum to see if this question has ever been addressed. So I am well read on the difference/how to tell between BH and true labor, but my question is, has anyone ever noticed any correlation to how they experienced the sensation of BH to how labor contractions were? Were they similar in any way? Just curious. I've been feeling BH since 20 weeks (annoying!!) and I'm a FTM so very curious/ansy about it all ...lol

The contractions I felt during labor were completely different than anything I felt previously. Interestingly, I did have a non stress test a couple days prior to delivery and the tech said I was having contractions at that time. Either they were incredibly mild or I assumed anything I was feeling was still Braxton Hicks. Once it was actually go time though, they were strong and quite different.

I know it's a huge cliche but once you're actually in labor you'll just *know*. 
  • Options
    You'll know the difference. BH were kitten whispers & tickle fights compared to the real deal (for me).

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I have some issues (an irritable uterus?) so I had a really hard time distinguishing between irritability, BH and real contractions. It wasn't until things really picked up that I could tell the difference. Early labor contractions felt very similar to BH (with my last pregnancy) but were slightly more uncomfortable. I actually slept through several hours of labor apparently but it was early. A few hours later and things were noticeable. The biggest difference for me was that they got closer together. Good luck
  • Options
    My BH were nothing like labor contractions. BH would just get my belly real tight and hard, then relax and be over. Contractions would be like a wave of a sharp pain that started from the middle of my belly, and worked its way all over the rest of my belly and back. BH aren't consistent at all, while contractions would come consistently, and get closer together and more intense over time.

All of this. Great way to describe it.

I was induced with my first child and never felt a real contraction (epidural) so I was nervous about labor with my second child because I didn't know what to expect. I had BH's for months with my second and let me tell you, when the REAL contractions started, there was NO denying they were the real thing. It's a pain you cannot even describe to someone but they basically knocked me on my ass.

Consistency and the ability to time the contractions will be a sign they are real vs. BH.

• Options
    delujm0delujm0 member
    edited October 2015

I didn't even notice I was having BH, though I know I was because the doctor mentioned it to me during a NST.

You'll know.  Trust me on that.  Real labor contractions will be at regular intervals, and will be increasing in severity while getting closer together. 

• Options
    urby87urby87 member
    edited October 2015
    My mom actually mistook real labor for BH with both of her pregnancies, but this doesn't seem to be the norm...
  • Options
    BH are a breeze and feel like a tightening across your belly. Real contractions had me on my hands and knees, literally. I will never mistake BH for real ones ever again.
  • Options
    BH is just your belly tightening up and it's not constant. Real contractions are to where you pretty much just want to pick a spot on the ceiling and stare at it, takes your breath away. Those you can time and they get intensely worse as they get closer.
  • Options
    leela02leela02 member
    edited October 2015
    My BH contractions with my first pregnancy were just a painless tightening of the belly. My real contractions started off feeling like gas pains! I thought I was just having indigestion. They were frequent but not regular. They weren't bad at all until after my water broke.