Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Gaining too much weight?

My babies doctor told me this at his one month check up. He was two days shy of 1 month and already gained 3lbs 3oz since being discharged from the hospital. Is this really too much weight?

Re: Gaining too much weight?

• Options
    I would think this is a question for a medical professional.
  • Options

are you breastfeeding?  I was always told that it's not possible for babies to overeat if they're breastfeeding (overeating is a learned behavior, but can happen when bottle feeding if you are forcing them to drink a whole bottle every time).

Your doctor is the expert, but FWIW, my LO weighed 7lbs 7oz at birth, 7lbs 1oz at 48 hours, 7lbs 2oz at 4 days, 8lbs 5oz at 10 days, and 10lbs 8oz at one month.  At two months she was 14lbs 1oz.  The doctor said she was gaining well.  She's now in the 95th percentile for weight, but is also there for height, so I guess she's proportionate?  I don't know how any of that works; I just listen to whatever the doctor tells me.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes I am breastfeeding. And only asking on here cause I saw two doctors that day(one for his one month check up and the other for his circumcision recovery) for the check up they just called him a porker lol and the other doctor said he was gaining too much weight. But your LO seemed to gain about the same amount of weight
  • Options
    Mine was 8lbs 11oz, then lost almost a lb and was 7,12 at discharge. At her 1 month appointment she was 11 lbs 4 oz 22.5 inches long. They said she was gaining well and not to worry. Also in the 95 percentile. I wouldn't worry! Now at 2 months my LO is 13 lbs and 24 inches long :) she's a big strong baby
  • Options

delujm0 said:

are you breastfeeding?  I was always told that it's not possible for babies to overeat if they're breastfeeding (overeating is a learned behavior, but can happen when bottle feeding if you are forcing them to drink a whole bottle every time).

Your doctor is the expert, but FWIW, my LO weighed 7lbs 7oz at birth, 7lbs 1oz at 48 hours, 7lbs 2oz at 4 days, 8lbs 5oz at 10 days, and 10lbs 8oz at one month.  At two months she was 14lbs 1oz.  The doctor said she was gaining well.  She's now in the 95th percentile for weight, but is also there for height, so I guess she's proportionate?  I don't know how any of that works; I just listen to whatever the doctor tells me.

I completely disagree you can not force a FF baby to eat more than he/she can tollerate. I had to FF baby and when LO was done LO was done. You can't force a baby to eat. I feel this is a huge misconception of FFing.
    Agreed. Just happened. :)
  • Options
    I also agree that your baby is just fine.... Im breastfeeding as well he was 8lbs 6oz at birth over 12lbs at 2 months and he was 14lbs 10oz at his 2 month. My doctor told me he was fine and gaining weight beautifully. I also read somewhere that breastfed babies tend to gain weight quicker at the beginning then it plateaus out. I wouldnt worry!!