High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Nifedical for irritable uterus

Also known as nifedipine. Has anyone taken this medication? I just started for irritable uterus at 26 weeks. I had IU with my last but Never prescribed medication. Wondering how long the drowsiness lasts and since they only gave me 2 months worth, is it common to go into labor soon after the medication stops?

Re: Nifedical for irritable uterus

• Options
    Just started taking this last week for preterm labor. Makes me feel extremely tired and dizzy. It helps to take it with food!!!
  • Options
    I've been to L&D three times in the last week for contractions lasting up to 70 seconds and occurring every 1-2 minutes for hours. Nifedipine stopped them but Terbutaline (injection) worked better.
    My OB wanted to hold off keeping me on the Nifedipine continuously if possible because it makes me incredibly nauseous (but not at all tired) and I'm currently 31w, 5'8" and only around 128lbs.
    One more episode and I'll have to go on it though....which I am dreading. I guess it's better than spending 5-7 hours in the hospital trying to get contractions under control every 2 days :-S
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Goodness. It does seem to help. I've been taking it at night but I'm wondering if it would be best to switch to morning. Just be if I stand more than 10-15 min I tight again. Hoping it calms us all down!! :)
  • Options
    i'm on nifedipine for contractions also, on an as-needed basis. i only take it if i start having a lot of strong contractions, and my dr advised me not to take it regularly as your body can become used to it, therefore leaving the medication ineffective. i have found through numerous trials that it goes down MUCH better on a full stomach and i experience far less, if any, side effects when i take it on a full stomach. so i'll eat about 20-30 minutes before i need to take it, and drink tons of water as well. 

i haven't heard anything about going into labor after stopping it--i didn't take it for a full week once and my baby is still cooking thank God! good luck!
  • Options
    I'm on it for high blood pressure. The side effects are hellacious if you take it on even a semi-empty stomach, so eat first! I didn't think about it when I first took it and had the extreme flushing, chills, nausea, aches, insomnia, etc.
    I was taking it at night and switched to taking it around noon, it's made a huge difference, I'm able to sleep again! (thank goodness!) 
    Wishing you the best! 
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!
  • Options
    I am also on generic Procardia for high blood pressure. I take my pill at night and always with a glass of milk, a snack and lots of water. It's been helping with all the side effects.