May 2016 Moms

Any other scientist moms out there? Has your workload changed?

cmboyd8688cmboyd8688 member
edited September 2015 in May 2016 Moms
Just wondering if there are any other moms on here who may work in a lab or around hazardous materials?

I am a chemist and work in a lab. I am around solvents and finished pharmaceuticals.

Has your boss altered your workload at all since finding out the news? My boss has me working mainly on products that use water based diluents but some of the products we test have reproductive hazards.

Do you think it's within my rights or out of line to ask for desk work for the term of my pregnancy?

Thanks for any input! I just want to keep my baby safe and make sure my boss knows I am not trying to be lazy!

Re: Any other scientist moms out there? Has your workload changed?

• I am a biologist. Our lab is BSL-2 but only because we can work with BSL-2 materials, not because we do on a regular basis. The worst thing I deal with is E. coli and only in a really fragile state or to express a plasmid on a plate. That being said, I can continue doing my work with normal precautions.

Have you talked to your boss about your concerns? If there is a risk with you being pregnant I think it is within your rights to mention those concerns to your boss and ask what your options are.
  • tgortneytgortney member
    edited September 2015
    Ooh this topic is so me!
    I work in an environmental lab for a municipality. I'm a chemist who tests waste and drinking water. I believe the worse thing I work with are COD vials with <1% Mercury per vial. I try to be as cautious as possible (following SDS guidelines and PPE at all times) and my boss is aware of what I'm comfortable with and what I'm not. I work with mostly women who, the majority, have children and have been pregnant while working in the lab. I, fortunately, do not work in the organics or metals and Mercury department. I guess the worse exposure I could have is biological sample being ingested or fumes from certain chemicals (sulfuric acids and what not).

I think you should definitely talk to your boss if you're concerned. Obviously, I don't have much choice for all desk work but if you do, I would say ask for the option! :D
  • Loading the player...
  • She has narrowed it down to a few products for me to work with. However when I looked up the SDS on 2 out of the 3 drugs they say "may cause harm to unborn fetus." I can wear PPE while working with these products, I just am struggling with whether or not it's worth it. I know more than likely the risks would be slim to none with a dust mask but why risk it?!
  • She has narrowed it down to a few products for me to work with. However when I looked up the SDS on 2 out of the 3 drugs they say "may cause harm to unborn fetus." I can wear PPE while working with these products, I just am struggling with whether or not it's worth it. I know more than likely the risks would be slim to none with a dust mask but why risk it?!
    i am by no means any scientist, but i feel youre very well knowledgeable about it, and if you feel its a concerning to you or your unborn child than no dont risk it , 

Have you spoken to your HR department i think they would be best to contact instead of a boss..
  • That's crazy that is specifically said "may cause harm to unborn fetus"! I'm a huge worry wart and I understand where you're coming from. I was paranoid so I asked my boss if she could look up what the detection limit was for Mercury for certain tests. They all came back below detection limit. It's really scary when you think about all the stuff lab people work with to be honest.
    Although I don't know much about pharmaceutical lab work so I can't offer advice on that :-/ but I guess just go with your gut feeling, only you know what's best for baby.
  • I was a sensory scientist for a flavor manufacturing company. So basically taste tester. What I was tasting was like snapple and coke products like what you buy in the store. I didn't personally work with any of the harsh stuff like some of the other people. Many of the women in our lab had babies just fine. Our work was not lessened. My first baby was born preterm with a cleft palate. But it could have been anything that caused it