Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Schedule for 7 week old that is formula fed only

nicolelsmith7nicolelsmith7 member
edited September 2015 in Babies: 0 - 3 Months
i strictly formula feed my 7 week old and I've been reading into getting her into a sleep, eat, play schedule. From what it appears everyone says sleep,eat, play...repeat...however I've been doing a sleep eat play eat sleep schedule and it would seem that it's not working during the day. She's not sleeping well and will wake up screaming after half an hour and I sooth her back to sleep either with a soother or another partial feeding. So my question is how many of you formula feeding moms offer that bottle (or in my case a partial feeding) right before sleep? Nights (thus far) aren't really an issue as she's getting into a fairly good routine.

Re: Schedule for 7 week old that is formula fed only

• Options
    My LO has been strictly formula fed since she was 3.5 weeks, she is now 7 weeks old and she eats every 3 hours. I feed her then play then once she looks tired I calm down the playing and she falls asleep pretty easily. Her last bottle at night is around 9-10pm and she will sleep until 2-3am every night it's like clock work. At night I don't play with her after her feeding and keep it dark. I hope that helps your question lol
  • Options
    My LO is now 7 weeks and has been strictly formula fed since 2 weeks and her schedule is eat play sleep repeat. My LO last feeding is about 10-11pm and won't wake up till 5 or 6 am. She eats 4 oz and will stay up for about and hour to play, she will start getting fussy and I'll give her the pacifier and she will do to sleep. Have you tried a pacifier to help sleep I don't recommend comfort feeding. Also, I know most don't recommend but I do co sleep. She loves to feel me next to her and when she wakes up she will just stare at me and fall right back to sleep if not I'll pat her or play with her hair and that will do the trick!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Sounds like you are trying to follow Babywise.

At this age YOU HAVE TO FOLLOW YOUR BABY'S CUES and not try to stick to a schedule because you will find that it doesn't work.

I've always given my kids bottles before naps and bed time. If they fall asleep while drinking, no big deal. That whole "drowsy but awake" technique is garbage.

You will find things are easier if you go with the flow and do what you baby needs when she needs it. Good luck.

• Options
    Follow your baby ! It is the most important. Mine is stricly formula fed and I feed him at midnight and then I put him in pyjamas and sing to him and he goes to sleep easily. He is sleeping through the night at 7 weeks. Wakes up around 6 or 7am. I think during the day it does not matter but when going to sleep having a routine is important.
  • Options
    LO is a week old. Our pedi told us not to let her go more than 3 hours without eating (although if she's sleeping longer than that at night I won't wake her unless the diaper is dirty/wet). So generally if she's sleeping we wake her up with a diaper change and then give her the bottle. This early, she usually falls asleep soon after but sometimes she's awake for a bit and we'll talk to her, bounce her around, etc.
  • Options
    Our 8 week old has been formula fed on demand, and have rarely woken her up when she's sleeping. Our pediatrician said it was okay not to since she was gaining weight steadily, and she would make up for it while she was awake.
    She mostly is eat play sleep, but not 100% of the time. She goes down around 8:30pm and sleeps until about 4am (usually). She eats and then back to sleep for another 2 hours approximately. During the day we follow her cues. She doesn't nap that great when she hasn't been swaddled, or if she's just dozing she'll wake up very quickly.