Health & Exercise
Options

Hpv positive

asunnaasunna member
edited September 2015 in Health & Exercise
well I used the search feature and no luck

I'm not a very sexual active person mostly always used condoms except with husband

Being undeR 25 I've not been tested for Hpv
Well doctor was doing tests in negative for any hiv or other std But found out today I'm
Hpv positive from my pap

I'm extremely confused because it seems she did a test that only looks for the cancerous kind

My doctor is out of town for a month as I live on a small island

Any advice ?

Re: Hpv positive

• Options
    Don't worry about it. The vast majority of people have HPV at some point in their lives, most people clear it on their own. Follow up with the doc in case you need to have cervical cells examined for precancerous growth, but don't sweat it.  I am not sure how this Dx might affect TTC, but that is a question for the doctor.
  • Options
    asunna said:
    Being undeR 25 I've not been tested for Hpv

Btws, the reason they don't always test young people is that doctors assume sexually active young folks have HPV at some point. Condoms aren't 100% with HPV.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    IB113 said:
    Don't worry about it. The vast majority of people have HPV at some point in their lives, most people clear it on their own. Follow up with the doc in case you need to have cervical cells examined for precancerous growth, but don't sweat it.  I am not sure how this Dx might affect TTC, but that is a question for the doctor.
    hey thanks for the reply, after some serious reading online, i found a number of interesting things about hpv

that it can lay dormant, and pop up during pregnancy
    that it  usually goes away within 24 months
    3 out of 4 women will contract it at some point (most generally are unaware they have it)

so it seems ot me like a vagina cold.

my doctor has sech. a colposcopy, but after more reading i will refuse any biopsies or other procedures until after baby is born, 
    as it can weaken your cervix, or scar it depending on such procedures and that can become a potential problem for mc, or birthing 

• Options
    I've had it. Half my friends have tested positive. It normally will just go away itself. Try not to worry. And so you know the colposcopy isn't painful or anything, just some cramping afterwards like period cramps.

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    yogahh said:
    I've had it. Half my friends have tested positive. It normally will just go away itself. Try not to worry. And so you know the colposcopy isn't painful or anything, just some cramping afterwards like period cramps.
    ya the only thing im concerned about is its the positive for "could be " cancerous kind. 
    but honestly im not worried about the colposcopy , i just have a problem voicing my opinion on when to tell a doctor i dont want something done, like biopsies 
    i hope i can be vocal enough. 
  • Options
    Seriously don't worry. If I'm not mistaken, they only ever test for the cancerous type. And my dr said it is almost always nothing. Easier said than done I know. But really don't worry too too much.

cat fail animated GIF