March 2016 Moms

Cold season

hey everybody! I was wondering what everyone's home remedies are to help fight and keep colds away. My throat is killing me and I know it will get worse if I don't kick it in the butt. I tried gargling with salt water but that didn't end well, I will just say.

Re: Cold season

• I can't recommend any "home remedies" because sometimes these aren't safe in pregnancy so I'll err on the side of caution with that. The only thing we do is make sure to keep our hands washed and sanitized and stay away from family or friends that we know are sick. Good luck :)
    March '16 December Siggy Challenge - Favorite Christmas Movies/Quotes
  • I have a cold, too :( Got it from DD, no idea where she got it from. I talked to a pharmacist who said lozenges are okay, whereas little else is safe during pregnancy.
    *TTC since July 2010
    *BFP #1- 11/12/12, m/c 11/16/12 @ 6 weeks
    *BFP #2- 1/23/13 EDD 10/4/13  

*Emma Rose: 10/8/13

*BFP #3- EDD 03/9/16

March '16 December Siggy Challenge- Favorite Christmas Movie/Quote
  • Loading the player...
  • Tylenol and cough drops/throat lozenges. Neti pot if you're feeling brave
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 2nd tri brings on mucus anyways and was driving me nuts at bed..... I have found that a hot tea just before bed helps to clear and br event that gross feeling and coughing just when I was laying down
  • Ugh I've been feeling like I have a cold too... But am reading that the sniffles are common at this point so it's hard to tell if this is just a preg symptom or an actual cold....
    Either way I got a big bowl of broccoli cheddar from panera and am loving tea with honey!!
  • My safe med list from my midwifeet says robutussin, cloraseptic, saline spray, sudafed
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!

• My only home remedy for being sick is a lot of naps!  And some tylenol!

• Arm and Hammer saline nasal spray, Vics a little under nose and some on chest at bedtime. They both help with the nasel congestion. Hot tea with lemon and honey for your sore throat and cough. A warm mist humidifer always helps with congestion. Tylenol for fever and aches. Regular Sudafed if cold if not sure Benadryl or Claritin for allergy. I thought I was getting a cold for 3 weeks or so and finally called doctor and said it's probably from hormones and extra blood flow going to nasal passages causing symptons. So I used the saline spray, Vics, humidifer and Benadryl and settled down quickly. I was miserable.
  • Does anyone know anything about neocitron?

I hate being sick, especially sick and pregnant. What are the best nasal decongestions while pregnant? I'm going thru a box of tissues a day!
  • I take EmergenC pretty routinely. Along with lots of orange juice and tea. And I'm normally not fanatical about hand sanitizer but around this time of the year I make DD use it a lot more.
  • I am scared to death of cold season. I have bad sinuses, and literally every time j get a cold, it turns jnto a sinus infection of bronchitis, sometimes both. I can't imagine having bronchitis while pregnant. I am just planning on keeping germ x in my pocket at work and trying not to get close to people that are acting sick.
  • Lisa6083 said:
    I am scared to death of cold season. I have bad sinuses, and literally every time j get a cold, it turns jnto a sinus infection of bronchitis, sometimes both. I can't imagine having bronchitis while pregnant. I am just planning on keeping germ x in my pocket at work and trying not to get close to people that are acting sick.
    I will say pneumonia during pregnancy sucks ballz.  Try to stay as healthy as possible.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• RosyKRosyK member
    edited October 2015
    I drink greens from It Works. My ob approved them and my family has sworn by them since I became a distributor 2 years ago. Even my kids drink them and don't get whatever is going around at school.
  • Does anyone know about Emergen-C (that vitamin C powder you mix with water and drink)? I totally forgot to ask my OB y'day!

March 2016 siggy: babies - expectation vs reality

Brian's Whovian wife (5/'09) 
    AP, BF, BW, CD, CLW, CS, ERF, Catholic mama 
    to Evan (7/'10), Clare (8/'11), Dean (3/'14), ^F(12/'15)^, Rose (3/'16)
    *no longer a Timelord ~ WibblyWobbly BabyWaby is here!*
    <3 but i still feel bigger on the inside <3
     Autism mama! 
  • Does anyone know about Emergen-C (that vitamin C powder you mix with water and drink)? I totally forgot to ask my OB y'day!
    The only thing that I've heard is if you do too much you are at risk for kidney stones.  But I think you'd have to do a ton of drinks per day.  Vitamin C won't hurt you.

DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Ds and I have nasty colds. I've been taking vitamin c drops to help with my throat. My doctor approved it and it helps!
  • Thx guys!

March 2016 siggy: babies - expectation vs reality

Brian's Whovian wife (5/'09) 
    AP, BF, BW, CD, CLW, CS, ERF, Catholic mama 
    to Evan (7/'10), Clare (8/'11), Dean (3/'14), ^F(12/'15)^, Rose (3/'16)
    *no longer a Timelord ~ WibblyWobbly BabyWaby is here!*
    <3 but i still feel bigger on the inside <3
     Autism mama! 
  • Thanks for the post. I have been suffering from a nasty cold for the last week.

I would check with your doctor about sudafed though...mine has the decongestants on the avoid list.

Hope everyone feels better.