March 2015 Moms
Options

Hip joint problem!

My daughter is very active, she LOVES to move her legs constantly weather her feet are in her mouth or she just wiggling everywhere. Recently I've noticed that when she's moving her right leg, there's a horrid noise as if it's popping out of place! It used to happen once every so often but yesterday that's all I could hear! It doesn't seem to be causing her any pain, but has anybody else had the same issue? I'm currently waiting for the health visitor to give me a call back but a friend of mine's little girl has had to have an operation on her hip and has been in cast for nearly 6 months! Meaning she hasn't been able to learn to crawl or sit up etc as she's nearly 1!

Re: Hip joint problem!

• Options
    Ask a medical professional!

Runner up 3-11-15
  • Options
    Because I just put all the other commenters on ignore (so glad The Bump has that option!), I don't know what stuff was said above. But hip issues like clunks and clicks are usually checked at the regular visits (the actual medical description is "hip clunk"). I would get it checked out, but don't jump to worrying about surgery just yet. It is a last resort and likely you'll be able to get it checked out and fixed up without any delays in milestones. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    myjessesgirlmyjessesgirl member
    edited September 2015

AGM0616 said:

Because I just put all the other commenters on ignore (so glad The Bump has that option!), I don't know what stuff was said above. But hip issues like clunks and clicks are usually checked at the regular visits (the actual medical description is "hip clunk"). I would get it checked out, but don't jump to worrying about surgery just yet. It is a last resort and likely you'll be able to get it checked out and fixed up without any delays in milestones. Good luck!

Welp, you'd be surprised that helpful advice was offered.

Way to judge, though.

I just did the "ignores" on another thread. Which did NOT supply helpful advice, in my opinion. I'm not judging, just deciding not to pay attention to things I don't want to. And I never insinuated that any advice given before mine was not helpful, just that I could not see what was posted. I hope you don't mind if I ignore those posts that I find to be unnecessary, as well as the commenters that post them. I'm not trying to kick anyone off or ban them or report them (it IS a public forum), but I wanted to be clear that if I was repeating what a prior post said, it was because I was unaware. But thank you for making me aware that I should clarify my above post.
  • Options
    Doctors are usually helpful with this kind of thing and don't mind answering random questions for new parents.

That medical professional might tell you it's ok not to crawl first, not all babies do before they walk. But don't take my word for it.
  • Options
    AHMAZING. I love you.  Have my babies?

Also OP--doctor!!  You'll need to get referred out to a ped ortho but hip issues are super important to get checked out as they're our "center" and are the foundation of all of our movements and mobility.  I have two hip replacements and believe me the things that hips are involved in would blow your mind.  It sounds like she might be displacing her hip or has a shallow joint :( good luck
    photo 2eaeec32-4781-4bd4-a9e0-fe86f486b516.jpg

~~~~For SuzyQ and all our loss moms~~~~

Met: 02.2007 / Engaged: 11.21.2009 / Married: 07.09.2010

EDD: 03.02.2015 / Scheduled Delivery Date: 02.25.2015

• Options
    It's really hard to maintain a Nick Fury vibe with a Geordi La Forge voice in my head.
  • Options
    Please get it checked out by your pediatrician as soon as possible. My daughter was diagnosed with hip dysplasia at 2 days old and was in a harness 24/7 for about 3 months. The sooner hip dysplasia is treated, the shorter the length of treatment and it is usually less invasive. I am NOT saying your child has hip dysplasia, but advising you to get it looked at sooner rather than later. FYI: hip dysplasia occurs mostly in girls, first borns, breech babies, and/or those who have it in their families. It does not hurt babies, but can cause lingering problems into adulthood if left untreated. Most doctors will diagnose after feeling a "clunky" or "clicky" hip. Further ultrasounds or X-rays will confirm diagnosis.
  • Options
    Op the advice that was given that you blocked was to call your doctor. Pretty sound suggestions if you ask me..
  • Options
    daniellarhhdaniellarhh member
    edited September 2015
    Managed to get an emergency appointment at my gp's yesterday and a scan has been organised for a couple of weeks time! The doctor seemed a little concerned as he was checking the creases in her legs and the length difference butIt's very worrying, the clunking isn't a very nice sound but I'm glad it's finally being dealt with!
  • Options

Managed to get an emergency appointment at my gp's yesterday and a scan has been organised for a couple of weeks time! The doctor seemed a little concerned as he was checking the creases in her legs and the length difference butIt's very worrying, the clunking isn't a very nice sound but I'm glad it's finally being dealt with!

The love tit is for the fact you were able to get an appointment so quickly. Glad you called your pediatrician and hopefully you get answers.
  • Options
    lilpoots said:

The love tit is for the fact you were able to get an appointment so quickly. Glad you called your pediatrician and hopefully you get answers.
    Got an appointment with great difficulty! Was on the phone on hold to my GP surgery for over an hour! In the end I had to go through the nhs non emergency help line who managed to get through to my GP straight away funnily enough! That's when they offered me an emergency appointment. There's no way I could of gone through the weekend without seeking medical advice! But thank you
  • Options
    My first daughter was born with hip dysplasia and was found at her 2 month check up. Hip dysplasia is what they are looking for when they move the babies legs all around at check-ups. They listen for clicks and feel to see if the joint is right. Hers was so bad that there wasn't a clicking noise and her hip joint just went in and out of socket very easily. She did not have to have surgery because when found early the bone is still forming and can be manipulated to grow a certain way. My daughter wore 3 different body casts from 2 1/2 months old to 7 months old. After that, she had to wear a brace (mainly when she slept) until she was 3 years old. Luckily, she didn't need surgery because it had improved enough by then. We got very lucky that her doctor found it when she was so young, because otherwise it would have required surgery. She is now 6 years old and her hip is perfectly normal. All of that has not slowed her down in the least and you would never know she ever had anything wrong. She caught up very quickly developmentally and even learned to walk by 13 months. She could even walk and run in her brace. Hip dysplasia is not painful in childhood, but becomes a huge problem when they become adults if not corrected. Just wanted to share because I truly know how nerve racking it is. Good luck to you and wish you the best of outcomes.