2nd Trimester

Baby shower

Do any of you think a baby shower is too early at 21 weeks?
The reason why I want it so early is because we are doing the gender reveal at the baby shower and everyone won't be able to wait ages!

Re: Baby shower

• Yes. Gender reveal is a separate party if you want that.
  • Loading the player...
  • I think 21 weeks is too early. I also agree that gender reveal parties are tacky, so in my opinion you either scrap the idea of revealing at the party or wait. Personally, I would want to reveal before the party because people love to purchase gender specific clothing and oohhh and ahhh at it at the shower. Especially the grandmas. 
  • When does the hostess want to have the party?

IMHO, 21 weeks is much too early.
    Agree that 21 weeks is too early.

Has your host expressed a desire for a specific date?
  • I think 21 wks is super early. We are having my shower at 29wks just because I was trying to accomodate to everyone with the approaching holidays and people were still whining about it being soooo early. Oh well, not doing a shower in the middle of Jan in NE. That's like asking for a blizzard. 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I wouldn't do it now, especially because a lot of people are barely showing (myself included). My mom is hosting a shower for me and she's going to include the sex of the baby on the invitations (a/s is on 10/1 and shower is 12/5)
  • A lot of people wait until after the point of viability before having a baby shower. Let your hostess decide, but yes, 21 weeks is fairly early.

I lurk. I snark. I offer sound advice if you're not BSC. You may not like me. I'm okay with it.

• 21 weeks is too early. I wouldn't even buy anything before 24 weeks, let alone have a shower.

Let your hostess plan your shower.
  • Why not do something fun for yourselves such as taking the envelope to a bakery and getting yourself and your husband cupcakes with pink or blue filling? And then something bigger to announce it to everyone, like recording pink or blue balloons being released from a box, popping a ballon with pink or blue confetti etc and sending to people or putting it on Facebook and tagging people? Gender reveals are more for the parents to be. I don't see anyone else having the same anticipation as you.
    Save the celebration for a later date when everyone knows what the baby is. People like to shop accordingly.
  • I have changed it to a later date and I don't see a problem of hosting it myself?
  • Any shower I have been to, the mother to be was at least 7 months along.
  • Lurking, but I agree that you would never host a shower for yourself. 

I am going to have a shower early at 25wk.  I live out-of-state and only have enough time off to make one trip home during my pregnancy.  I'm planning on going home for another family event, and my cousins and aunts (their idea) wanted to give a shower at that time.  
  • Oh brother....
  • I have changed it to a later date and I don't see a problem of hosting it myself?
    It's rude, tacky, and thoughtless?
    Married July 2009, Rescue dog adopted September 2010, DS born June 2012
    Expecting LO2 in February 2016
    Ghost of MrsMuq
  • I have a friend who has a huge family (hers and her husbands) so she ended up having 3 showers, one her husband's side threw for her, one her side threw for her and then a third one she threw for herself for her friends.  At first it seemed weird and I felt bad that she felt she had to do that, but everyone is close enough that it's not asking for presents.  We know we're all going to get her something anyway and this way no one had to feel the pressure of spending money on a shower AND a gift, she has a very good job so just had it catered at her home and it was the best shower I've ever been to.  We didn't do any annoying games, she passed out a couple things while everyone was drinking and mingling and then handed out presents to those who won the games.  It was very low-key and felt more like a huge girls night than a shower.  If your situation was similar to this one, I say go for it- this one turned out great.  But if you're running your own games and measuring your own belly with a string for people to win the guess how big the belly is game, I don't think that's a good idea.  As far as the gender reveal- I love those, but have always thought of them as a private event... either do it now if you can't wait to tell people and have a few close friends and family apart of it... or do it at the shower and have NO gender specific items given to you while you're there.  Lots of things to consider, but in the end, it's how you and your SO feel about things.  Good luck, hope everything turns out to be a blast. 
  • I don't even know what to say to this. It's like throwing yourself a graduation party but registering for gifts on top of it. People just don't do that.
  • GracieHartGracieHart member
    edited October 2015
    I'm assuming OP isnt coming back.
  • I find it quite rude how all of you haven't actually tried to help me out and have basically just said that I am rude and tacky. I am a first time mum so have no idea of what I am supposed to do and is why I was asking on this chat to get some advice, not to be judged.
  • TorpedogirlTorpedogirl member
    edited October 2015
    I think gender reveals are cute with close family and a great idea. I wouldn't have an actual party but host dinner and have a cake for dessert maybe with the pink or blue. As for throwing your own shower that is not usually taken well. I don't see anything wrong with helping someone if they need it but it would be much nicer if you just showed up. ;)

Edited to answer your question. Yes it is very early at 21 weeks. You need time to make sure baby is healthy and no issues. Also, most are held around 30-34 weeks from what I have seen.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"