Toddlers: 24 Months+

Unwanted discipline

just wondering if any of you have had this issue.....so my son is 2 and when my husband and i have him anywhere where my sister is she always feels the need to correct him or try to discipline him. Most of the time were talking over each other because im trying to correct him for what hes doing. Im not sure how to go about talking to her about this without hurting her feelings. Shes a huge help to me when my husband is on swing shift but i just feel like him and i should be correcting him when we are present....obviously if she is babysitting thats a diff. Story. Has anyone else gone through this?

Re: Unwanted discipline

• I will discipline any kid if they are pushing my kid and I don't see a parent doing anything about it. It's weird that she's doing it when you are there. Maybe gently say to your sister, "we've got this, Thanks" or " I'll take it from here, thank you for stepping in to help" maybe a gentle nudge will get her to back off. Is she a control freak?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • She tends to be a bit bossy yes....and its not like hes being bad or anything....right now hes the only grandchild so hes not being mean to anyone. Example: the other night he was coughing and she hurried up and told him to cover his mouth....usually not a big deal but i didnt even get the chance to say anything! And by this time im already frustrated so idk its stuff like that that drives me nuts i guess.
  • Loading the player...
  • jaxon0827 said:
    She tends to be a bit bossy yes....and its not like hes being bad or anything....right now hes the only grandchild so hes not being mean to anyone. Example: the other night he was coughing and she hurried up and told him to cover his mouth....usually not a big deal but i didnt even get the chance to say anything! And by this time im already frustrated so idk its stuff like that that drives me nuts i guess.

My mom does this crap too and it bothers me, especially because it's confusing to my son if 2 people are trying to tell him something at the same time. You need to speak up. Be your own advocate. You can be honest without being mean and this is your child so stand up and say something.
  • We had the same thing happened with my brother in law.  He watches both of our kids in the morning so I guess he feels like he could discipline at all times even when we are there.  My husband has had to say to him while he's doing it that he's taking care of it, or thanks but I got this.  We know they are trying to be helpful but as pp have said, you have the right to say what you feel when it comes to your child.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've literally just been blunt with my in laws and said 'I'm her mam and I'll tell her when she's doing something wrong, thanks' and they've backed off. But my style of patenting and theirs is different. They're uptight and I'm that weird mam who would dress up as a fairy if her child wanted her to and walk through the town so not a lot bothers me with my little one.
  • Maybe jokingly say, "Okay mom!" Keep it light hearted so as not to hurt her feelings but still get the message across.
  • this is something we deal with also. my dad watches my son all day so I know he disciplines him during the day, but if we see him outside those times he always trys to overparent us lol. all in the name of love I guess?  :-??
    Me: 29 | SO: 28
    Started Dating SO: 9/26/2009
    DS Born: 6/02/2012
    Tied the Knot: 11/14/2015
    Trying for Number Two since 9/1/15
    BFP!!! Baby 2 Due: 12/6/21