Babies on the Brain

How will you announce your pregnancy?

I know most of us aren't actively trying yet, but I can't be the only one who daydreams about plans for when I do get KU. So, just for fun, how will you announce your pregnancy? If you have other kids, how will you let them know about a sibling on the way?

Re: How will you announce your pregnancy?

• DH is a huge Star Wars fan, so I'm thinking about wrapping a Star Wars onesie and my pee stick once I get a BFP and leaving it for him to open as a surprise. I'll probably tell a few close friends and family members as well, and then announce to the rest of our friends and family via Facebook around 10-12 weeks. I plan on doing some kind of cutesy announcement (my baby board on Pinterest is full of ideas). As for my other kids, they'll be 5 and 2 so the 2 year old won't quite get it yet. I'll probably show DS an ultrasound photo and video record his reaction. He tells me he wants 3 more sisters, so I think he'll take the news well lol.
  • DH I'll just tell-I'm going to try to test while he's home. Parents and close friends I'll tell in person or by phone around weeks 8-9, if I can wait that long. I'm contemplating keeping baby and pregnancy stuff completely off FB, though I may change my mind. If I succeed there, our extended circle will get an email announcement. If I do a cute picture or anything it will probably involve the dog, but I may skip all that. I like seeing others' cute announcements, it's just not really "me" to do one.
  • Loading the player...
  • als1982als1982 member
    edited September 2015
    I'll probably tell friends and family right away. As for work, I may wait a few weeks. I'm not personally into cutesy announcements and will probably try to keep anything pregnancy and baby related off Facebook.
  • I like the idea of doing something cute to surprise DH, but am not sure that I have the personality to pull it off.

I like the idea of sending my mom and mother-in-law flowers on the same day "from" the baby. I have an idea about sending my MIL 11 roses since she has 10 grandkids (5 boys, 5 girls) so the flowers would be 5 pink, 5 blue and 1 yellow (for the new baby).

Also, my DH has announced that he wants absolutely no baby stuff on Facebook or social media whatsoever ... And while usually I don't let him make announcements like this, I respect where he's coming from. So we will probably do a cute announcement picture that we will mail to our friends and extended family.
  • We aren't TTCing until next Fall, so it might change but I would love to buy a little Dallas Cowboys onesie to give to DH as way to tell him. For our parents, we would love to give them each a book and a little message that says "To read to your grandchild."
  • I've been starting to think of this more and more...since this is our first month TTC...yay!

I think I'll just tell DH right away.  I'll most likely test in the morning so I know he'll be home and show it to him then.  We probably won't tell family until at least about 12 weeks or so, and I'd love to get them a framed photo with the ultrasound photo inside and maybe one of those teddy bears with a recording of the heartbeat.  I think those are so cute!  Might even get them each onesies too that say "I love grandma/grandpa"

As far as friends, other family and coworkers, we'll tell them after we've told our parents.  I'm sure we'll post an announcement on Facebook, most likely DH will before I will lol...

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

• My SO and I met on father's day one year. To tell him, I was thinking of getting something baby (like diaper a or wipes) and making a card that says something like; Who knew when we met on that Fathers day that one day x years later I would be making you a father again, congratulations daddy!'

Family I don't know yet.
  • I was thinking of giving my SO a cute onesie too or something else baby related when I get a BFP. Don't think he will be waiting for the pee stick lol.
    As far as mine and his family I don't know yet. I think it depends on how fast we want to tell them. We announced our wedding during christmas (since it's gonna be a christmas wedding) and we gave everyone a christmas ball with the words "we're getting married" in it. So they didn't see it coming right away. I think that when we do wanna tell and there's a holiday I'm gonna do something like that again.
    But definitely something that doesn't spoil the surprise right away, I want them to think before it hits them.
    Lilypie Trying to Conceive 21 to 37 day cycle tickers
  • Shiva14Shiva14 member
    edited September 2015
    I had all these grand plans about how to tell DH last time, then I only got a super faint positive line and instead we spent the night squinting at a pregnancy test together. H was there when the digital turned the next morning so we knew at the same time. Next time I'd like to surprise him if I can. Planning on buying DS a cute "big brother" shirt ahead of time so I won't need to muster up enough self control to keep it a secret for more than a few minutes. Of course if we have a hard time TTC it may be an unwelcome reminder to have that hidden in the closet....

Last time we told our parents right away and although they were excited they all told us not to get too excited because it was so early which I'd like to avoid next time. We told everyone else at 13 weeks. So next time we're planning to wait to tell our parents until after the first US and tell the rest of the world/FB around 12 weeks.

Edited because I can't do words today
  • I don't really "get" facebook announcements.  Eventually people will see a pregnant belly in some pic or another (..).

As for DH... I can't imagine testing without him around, sooo yeah.
    Facebook announcements can be great if you are far away from family and close friends. I'm from Denmark, so I use FB to communicate with my relatives and friends from back home.
    Also, be prepared that it can take a healthy couple up to a year to conceive and that the POAS addiction is very real ;). That's a lot of pee sticks to be taking and looking at together each time!

• Shiva14 said:
    I don't really "get" facebook announcements.  Eventually people will see a pregnant belly in some pic or another (..).
    Facebook announcements can be great if you are far away from family and close friends. I'm from Denmark, so I use FB to communicate with my relatives and friends from back home. 
    This is also my situation. All of my family lives back in Oregon/Washington (DH moved me to Texas almost three years ago.) I'm going to do my best to at least give family back home phone calls so they don't all just find out via FB, but that will obviously be the easiest way to make the announcement living so far away and having such a big family. I DEFINITELY plan on calling my mom and dad before making an announcement like that though. 

I've been thinking about this a lot for some reason. LOL. If our current work situation doesn't change and DH is still working offshore on a rotating hitch schedule (with how the oil industry is currently, this has the potential to change at any time between now and when we actually conceive since we aren't even TTC until April), then chances are good I'll probably be testing when he's offshore at work. If that's the case, I plan on keeping it quiet until he gets home. Then when he does get home, I plan on leaving something "baby" out in the open. Maybe a onesie or something similar. I'd love to hide the GoPro camera to catch his reaction when he sees it first and is like, "Whaaat?!" If all that works out, I'd probably use that video as our FB announcement when it's time. Thought we don't plan on telling anyone, not even family until we are 12-13 weeks. 

That's just my current day dream... LOL. I'm sure it won't work out that way but that's how I imagine it at this point. Haha.
    houston, tx. eharmony 7.3.11. married 3.7.15. oilfield wife.

• I will probably just tell DH right away and tell my BFF and her BF shortly after. Then we'll tell the rest of our close friends around 8 weeks. We'll tell our families at 12 weeks.

As far a FB, we have decided to just wait until we know the sex and post a picture of us and my belly with something cutesy related to the sex and that's about all. 

But honestly, I could definitely change my mind.
    DH: 29 | Me: 29 
    Dating: 10/3/08 | Married: 12/27/14
    TTC #1: August 2015 | BFP: 2/3/16 | EDD: 10/7/16
    DD: 10/5/16
    TTC #2: September 2017 | BFP: 4/28/18 | EDD: 1/7/19
    DS: 1/9/19
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I agree with a lot of the previous posters on here, my DH will probably know as soon as I take the test and get a BFP. I would not be able to keep it from him long enough to plan something cute. Plus I think he would be a little upset if I waited to tell him!

Family I want to tell after we hear the heartbeat and everything looks good. I am hoping it will be around a holiday of some sort so I can do something cute with that as well! My parents already have a grandbaby from my brother, but for my MIL and FIL this would be their first. I was thinking of a cute frame with the sonogram or something like that if it is a holiday/occasion where gifts are given. If not I plan on my DH wearing a shirt or something, you know like those man behind the bump shirts or something similar.

My close friends I will tell when I tell my family, everyone else and a fb picture or something would be after the 3 months.

I am just honestly so excited to be TTC and hopeful it will happen soon, so who knows I may just blurt it out right away to everyone! I am a little supersitiuos though so I think waiting 3 months to announce publicly is best.
    Married: June 2011
    TTC #1: September 2015-January 2016
    BFP #1: 1/25/16 - MMC Diagnosed 3/22/16
    TTCAL: June 2016
    BFP #2: 8/26/16 - EDD 5/9/17
    Jackson born 5/6/17 at 8:36 PM - 9lbs 5oz & 21in
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am just honestly so excited to be TTC and hopeful it will happen soon, so who knows I may just blurt it out right away to everyone! I am a little supersitiuos though so I think waiting 3 months to announce publicly is best.
    Lol. I feel this way totally. I say that I don't plan on telling anyone until at least 12 weeks. But in all honesty and reality, we'll just see how long I can keep my damn mouth shut. I really want to wait, to be sure, but I'm just gonna be so excited! LOL.
    houston, tx. eharmony 7.3.11. married 3.7.15. oilfield wife.

• DH & I don't live in the same state as our families (we moved out of state for a work promotion for DH last year). So we plan to send our parents a t-shirt saying something along the lines of the worlds best grandma/grandpa and a sonogram picture. Our close friends we will call and let them know and everyone else will find out via a Facebook announcement. We plan to hire a photographer to take a series of pics (announcement, maternity, newborn, 6 months). We have a few announcement ideas that I've pinned on Pinterest but we haven't narrowed down which one we love yet!

• FH and I want to do a video of some sort to announce our pregnancy.

He said he wants me to surprise him when I know. He loves cinnamon buns, so I was thinking of buying his favorite cinnamon bun, and putting it in the oven. Then just asking him to open it up, and try to get the entire thing on video for him.

Our parents do not live close to us, but we would like to fly and tell them in person if we can. Totally not sure what we will plan for them yet, but FH also wants to get their reactions on video.

I thought this couple announced their second pregnancy in such a great video!!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwUiKZqCUBw

• Y'all I have been thinking about this the past couple of days. Finally have time to sit and chat about it.

So in the perfect world, I would totally want to do something cute for my husband, but I am horrible at keeping secrets. With my son, I just walked out of the bathroom and told the Mr. He was in shock and had to call his mom to come over - Yes, that totally happened. This time we will be prepared and I will try something, but again, I might just be too excited.
    Our moms and my dad will know, but the rest of my family will wait until after the 1st trimester. Most local people will be told in person and the rest will find out on Facebook. Y'all my family is huge.. FB will be the way to go.
  • *Child Mentioned*

My husband and I are currently TTC. When we decided to, I found an adorable dad onsie and a book called the "Cavemans Guide to Pregnancy" to give to him the second I get a BFP. For now, they are tucked in a box in the attic ;-) 

Our parents are all getting pacifiers with tags attached to them that say something about "I'm coming to visit in (due date) do you think you could hold on to this for me? Love Baby X.

I brought a daughter into our marriage. So for the big facebook reveal (second trimester) It'll be a picture of her holding a sign that says "When I grow up I want to be a teacher, but for now I'm going to be a big sister!"

Pinterest will be the death of me I swear! 
    :))
  • Pupatella, we talked about how we would tell his family. The joke came up we just wouldn't tell DH's family (They are from across the country) and plan a trip to see them after the first tri-mester. And make sure I dressed to LOOK pregnant. (Or wore a shirt with something obvious like "Baby on Board") Then wait for them to say something when they pick us up from the airport.

"Wait... Is she... I don't want to say anything..."

We likely won't do that, I am sure we will tell them over the phone (neither of us will be able to keep it a secret that well! No matter how epic it would be...) or do something cute, but it would be hilarious, and awesome.

• allisun29 said:

Pupatella, we talked about how we would tell his family. The joke came up we just wouldn't tell DH's family (They are from across the country) and plan a trip to see them after the first tri-mester. And make sure I dressed to LOOK pregnant. (Or wore a shirt with something obvious like "Baby on Board") Then wait for them to say something when they pick us up from the airport.

"Wait... Is she... I don't want to say anything..."

We likely won't do that, I am sure we will tell them over the phone (neither of us will be able to keep it a secret that well! No matter how epic it would be...) or do something cute, but it would be hilarious, and awesome.

Haha, love it!!

My FH is determined to tell our family in person when that time comes. I don't know how I will be able to not tell my Mom over the phone...but he wants to catch their reactions on video. Hopefully I can keep my mouth shut!!  :)

• Hmm I don't know... With my first we took everyone to dinner and then gave them each a gift bag with a framed picture of DH and I holding a positive pregnancy test. It was fun and caught everyone completely by surprise! With my second we just told them over the phone because I was bleeding and needed a babysitter so I could go to the doctor. It was a very scary time and a horrible way to tell everyone that I was pregnant. Number three will most likely be our last so we need to think of an awesome way to do it.... Maybe I'll just invite everyone out to dinner and then show up a little late with my youngest daughter wearing a big sister shirt. I can't imagine how funny everyone's faces would be when they finally caught on! :P

• DH says he doesn't think I can keep it from him, which he's probably right, but what I'd like to do is have him come home to see a onesie that says "future mechanic like my daddy" (he is very much into mechanics) and then be there with the pee stick.
    For my family, we were given my late grandmother's wooden hope chest to clean up and use, so after we get it sanded up a bit, I would place the baby stuff we have collected in the chest with a sign on top that says "coming *whatever month and year*" and have my parents come over and show it to them then.
    It's a really fun idea to think about though!
  • als1982 said:
    I'll probably tell friends and family right away. As for work, I may wait a few weeks. I'm not personally into cutesy announcements and will probably try to keep anything pregnancy and baby related off Facebook.
    This!
    July '16 May Siggy Challenge 

BabyFetus Ticker
    Me: 29
    DH: 32
    Married: June 2011
    DD #1: December 2013
    DD #2: EDD July 2016
  • I like to think that I'll tell DH by pulling into one of those "Reserved for Mommies-to-be" parking spots at the grocery store while he's in the passenger seat. 

But I am TERRIBLE at keeping secrets, and I have NO poker face, so I'll probably spill the beans/fly out of the bathroom waving the pee stick while crying and laughing.
    ME: 33 / DH: 37
    MFI, NTNP x 10yrs
    6/2017: started IVF + ICSI cycle #1, antagonist protocol (menopur/gonal-f/ovidrel)
    7/17/2017: ER, 16 eggs retrieved, 15 mature and ICSI'd, 7 fertilized. 
    7/22/2017: 1 fresh day 5 embryo transfer, rest of embryos arrested at day 4 morula stage
    7/31/2017: BFN
    August: DH started clomid
    November 2017: Started metformin for egg quality
    March 2018: Planning to do IVF + ICSI, antagonist with HGH, freeze at 2pn stage for 2018 FET
  • Just lurking here... I have a 6 month old DD, so I can't officially say I'm TTC quite yet, but definitely thinking about the next announcement. The first time I woke DH up to tell him in the morning, which was rather anticlimactic since it took him a minute to actually understand. Next time, I'd like to stock my refrigerator with Prego pasta sauce, maybe a couple baby things in case he misses the point, and ask for him to get something out when he comes home from work. That being said, I'll likely just end up blurting it out. I, too, suffer from lack of poker face!
  • We are TTC #2. I didn't announce with our daughter really. I did post some pictures on FB when she was a couple days old. Next time around, I am not sure what I am going to do, to be honest. Maybe something simple with a family picture of all of us and then Baby and the year. 
  • gabpepsi said:

I have an idea about sending my MIL 11 roses since she has 10 grandkids (5 boys, 5 girls) so the flowers would be 5 pink, 5 blue and 1 yellow (for the new baby).

Adorable!

And I have no idea yet. I've been wracking my brain for something creative. Got nothing so far.... :/
  • I have no idea how I'd tell our parents. But I do plan on making some random post on Facebook that would make people wonder and then just wait til I start showing!
    Me: 28
    DH: 29
    Married: 7/4/15
    TTC #1 since marriage
    BFP 11/17/15 -- EDD 7/31/16

• We're in our second month TTC. I would only ever test with my husband there with me, so he'll know at the same time I do. 

We'll tell my parents in person and they'll let everyone else in the family know. We'll tell H's parents on the phone because they live overseas. And we'll tell our friends individually as it comes up. 
  • To tell DH (if I can hide the test from him): I love baking and DH loves my chocolate layer cake, so I was thinking of making a triple layer chocolate cake and having the outside icing be chocolate so it looks normal and then having the two inner layers of icing be pink and blue.

To tell our families: DH is always taking pictures and using timers to get full group shots, so I kind of want to have it set up for a series of photos and after the first photo clicks say "we're expecting a baby!" and have the camera capture the reactions of all of our family.  This would only work if timing works out really well though, since we live overseas and will only be seeing our families twice in the coming year.

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    BFP #1 June 2016: EDD 16 March 2017, MC July 2016
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016
    Started IF testing Nov 2016
    Spontaneous BFP #2 January 2017: Rainbow Baby Boy September 2017
    BFP #3 November 2018: Baby #2 expected August 2019

• Buthayna said:

To tell our families: DH is always taking pictures and using timers to get full group shots, so I kind of want to have it set up for a series of photos and after the first photo clicks say "we're expecting a baby!" and have the camera capture the reactions of all of our family.  This would only work if timing works out really well though, since we live overseas and will only be seeing our families twice in the coming year.

When my SIL got pregnant with her first, that is how she announced it to her family (I wasn't married to her brother at the time, but friends with the family but not in the picture). It was pretty great!
  • I'm with you! DH's family live in a completely different country, and my parents in a different city.

I definitely plan on being with DH when I find out, then telling our parents, then waiting until 10-12 weeks or so to tell friends and extended family. I definitely plan on doing a Facebook announcement at some stage, too, just because most of our friends and family are overseas. That and I think they're super cute! :)
  • I surprised DH the first go around when I was pregnant with DS. This time I kind of want him to tell me the results. I definitely want us to be together when I take the test though. I'm addicted to peeing on sticks when I'm ttc though so we will have to see.

As for announcing to the outside world, I'm not really sure.

Me 26, Hubs 32
    Married 7.14.12
    DS 10.29.13
    BFP 06.20.16
    *It's a boy!*
    EDD 03.03.17
                                                          BabyFruit Ticker
  • Not sure how I will tell my husband, but I know how I'm going to tell our parents. 

There are two grandchildren on each of our respective sides of the family.  We're going to give each of our mothers a bracelet with their side's grandchildren's birthstone, as well as a birthstone for the month we're due.  Tell them it's a "grandchild bracelet" and wait for them to realize there are 3 stones...

Beyond our immediate families, I've got a close group of friends that I would want to know/support me if something were to happen, so I will probably tell them early on.  For others, I'll try and wait (provided I can keep a secret!!).

** December BMB Siggy Challenge - Animals in Pools **

Me: 31+ H: 32
    TTC Since 11/2015
    #1 - MMC 6.5 weeks (2/16); #2 - MC due to cystic hygroma at 20 weeks (10/16); #3 CP (2/17); #4 - Due 12.16.17
  • i bought a key chain about how daddy is a better super hero. i plan to have it wrapped and write something cute on the mirror in our restroom and that will be his announcement. i prefer to keep it off fb but with as badly as i want it i might not be able to contain myself. I told DH i want to wait the normal 12-13 weeks before telling anyone however i dont see him being able to not tell people. I will probably tell my best friend though when i get a positive. (she might know before DH because shes my go to when i need to tell someone)
  • I'm not going to do something fancy for H. He will know what's going on all along, telling him if my cycle is late and "oh, I'm getting a pregnancy test."

I'm also not a big fan of fancy announcements. I'll be just telling family and friends with a phone call and, "I'm pregnant!"
  • We've moved for hubby's work twice now... So we have friends and family scattered about the country. That's the reason I would do a fb announcement... A simple tasteful couples photo shoot featuring The belly would do... No skin or anything. I'd love to tell hubs in a creative way bc that's "me"... But I stopped daydreaming about how I would do it bc my pee stick is never positive.... I remember when we first started trying though, I had an entire Pinterest board for this topic... Lol... Then reality set in. Whomp Whomp.

Married May 2014
    TTC Nov 2014-Aug 2016
    Aug 2015 Dx: Thyroid Cancer and Hashimotos
    Total Thyroidectomy October 2015 
    Ovarian Cystectomy Nov 2015
    CANCER FREE and resumed TTC Dec 2015.

• For announcing to family we've thought about giving one of those "magic mugs" with a phrase like Worlds Best Grandma or whatever on each individuals mug and they'd get it Christmas morning...like waking up to breakfast or whatever and then when the coffee gets poured in BAM!!!

And for friends we've thought about making a movie trailer along the lines of First Comes Love Then Comes Marriage. Lol Our engagement announcement sucked in all honesty-a phone call the night of-so telling them all that their first grandchild/neice/nephew is coming needs to be big and definitely special.
  • My DH and I are both in the medical field, I am a PA and he does medical sales, so I ordered a pair of baby sized scrubs that I am keeping hidden. I plan on wrap them in a box with a few BFP tests once I finally get one as a surprise for him.